Thread: SHIPPING A KIT TO YOUR COUNTRY THREAD!

SHIPPING A KIT TO YOUR COUNTRY THREAD!

Hey guys, I've been looking into importing a kit for sometime, but then I'm worried something will happen, I see a few threads asking this question, but then the thread dies off and is lost in hundreds of new topics....

I've thought up an idea of how to get a kit into the USA legally and insured. I've shipped parts to the UK, Austrailla, Japan, and had parts from New Zealand, Japan, China, Thailand shipped to me. One big item was a rare set of wheels from Japan. Worth 2200.00 dollars, to me they were worth 5000 to replace. So the shipper insured them for this amount for me in case anything happed. Good for me, the rims came in perfect shape, but I have to ask, is that because they were insured for a lot more than what I paid? I think so... Because customs opens packages and are KNOWN for not packing it back up entirely to good, mine came and only one wheel was inspected, the others were Xrayed.

Ok that was a past experience with a few items.... it gave me an idea, as if anyone is wanting a kit from the UK (known for the best 360 and Murcielago replica's to come about!) then why not try this?

Ship the container as "exotic car replacement parts" as with the EXTREME MR2 frame used for the Murci kit, it could be used as part of the crate to make sure everything is secure (as far as customs is concerned). As with replacement parts, I know customs wont care as it being listed as replacement body panels instead of something that could spark a law suite. With it being parts of an exotic car, couldn't it be insured for 50K? YES you will pay more to insure it for more, but it would be worth it for piece of mind.

PLEASE ANY ADVICE OR INPUT AS I'd like a thread to help members post their experiences and ideas.

Re: SHIPPING A KIT TO YOUR COUNTRY THREAD!

Quote Originally Posted by lowboost
    Hey guys, I've been looking into importing a kit for sometime, but then I'm worried something will happen, I see a few threads asking this question, but then the thread dies off and is lost in hundreds of new topics....

I've thought up an idea of how to get a kit into the USA legally and insured. I've shipped parts to the UK, Austrailla, Japan, and had parts from New Zealand, Japan, China, Thailand shipped to me. One big item was a rare set of wheels from Japan. Worth 2200.00 dollars, to me they were worth 5000 to replace. So the shipper insured them for this amount for me in case anything happed. Good for me, the rims came in perfect shape, but I have to ask, is that because they were insured for a lot more than what I paid? I think so... Because customs opens packages and are KNOWN for not packing it back up entirely to good, mine came and only one wheel was inspected, the others were Xrayed.

Ok that was a past experience with a few items.... it gave me an idea, as if anyone is wanting a kit from the UK (known for the best 360 and Murcielago replica's to come about!) then why not try this?

Ship the container as "exotic car replacement parts" as with the EXTREME MR2 frame used for the Murci kit, it could be used as part of the crate to make sure everything is secure (as far as customs is concerned). As with replacement parts, I know customs wont care as it being listed as replacement body panels instead of something that could spark a law suite. With it being parts of an exotic car, couldn't it be insured for 50K? YES you will pay more to insure it for more, but it would be worth it for piece of mind.

PLEASE ANY ADVICE OR INPUT AS I'd like a thread to help members post their experiences and ideas.
    Sounds like an excellent idea. It makes a lot of sense. How much more does it cost to insure something to 50K$USD than 20K$USD?

The only down side I can see is that this may increase your importation tax if the cost of insurance and taxable value are correlated.

I'm importing one of the kits you mention and am letting the company look after it for me. I will still have to pick up the tax though :-\

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyKing
    The only down side I can see is that this may increase your importation tax if the cost of insurance and taxable value are correlated.

I'm importing one of the kits you mention and am letting the company look after it for me. I will still have to pick up the tax though :-\
    would you mind saying how much it will cost for the door to door import? UK >> US

any information you feel comfortable talking about would be great MunkyKing... after you get your kit, will you divulge the company via PM or email. I dont think Audi and Lambo will PM or email acting as members to gain information from you individually.

As for insuring the item, if you could tell whomever the shipping company that you did in deed pay 20K dollars for it, if I was insured for 20K I would be fine with it, I guess I'm just saying I dont want to pay 20K and lose it because it gets stolen and not insured for more than 1000 dollars. We need to think of ways of keeping our kits secure. I'd be making the next biggest choice next to marriage and a house with building a car as I am thinking of starting. I want to use my investment money wisely and not throw it down the toilet! We hear all the time of people losing their dream build due to shippers or sellers. Now that we have a great seller in the UK the oceans miles are holding us back now .

I just think they would take more care of my item if they didnt look at it as a piece of fiberglass replica fake cheap or junk in their minds. and if someone told me it was replacement body parts for a lamborghini I'd take pride in delivery and taking care of it. I mean whose to say that its not replacement parts