Thread: You never know what a good deed will lead to.

You never know what a good deed will lead to.

Thought I would pass this story on to you folks. We are having drill this weekend at my national guard armory. Had a young guy in my office going over his field equipment records and he tells me how almost all of his field gear was lost by his 'idiot' squad leader. I know the squad leader (and to be honest he is an idiot) so I felt bad for the 'kid'. He was looking at having to replace about $1,300 worth of stuff out of his own pocket. So I started making phone calls and called in a few favors to begin begging borrowing and stealing as much of the missing gear as possible. He asks me about the Ferrari picture on my wall and I start telling him how I am building a F40 replica. He is really curious so I show him some of my work in progress picts on my laptop etc. Come to find out he helps his father work on foreign cars on the side and recently even did a 30,000 mile job on a 355. One thing leads to another and now he is going to be bringing me a set of Ferrari 308 GTS lights and a front nose badge for my build. I let him know next time they were doing any work on a Ferrari let me know and I'll come by to turn a wrench or two.

Anyway sorry if this bored you....just goes to show you never know what going out of your way just a little bit for someone when you don't have to can lead to.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Re: You never know what a good deed will lead to.

good for you Michael ...a little kindness goes along way...john

Hi Mike, If that young Guardsman needs help with any other equipment let me know, I , and I am sure others on this forum will make sure he doesnt have to go into his own pocket to replace any of his missing equipment.
    Thanks for the job you guys do to help keep this country secure.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMER
    Hi Mike, If that young Guardsman needs help with any other equipment let me know, I , and I am sure others on this forum will make sure he doesnt have to go into his own pocket to replace any of his missing equipment.
    David
    Thanks Boomer,

Good news is that I have pieced together everything but a modular sleeping system, the military's fancy sleeping bag set. So I have him covered for about $1,000 - $1,100 worth of the gear. I personally gave him a couple of pieces from my Air Force years. I still have two more 'trees' to shake to see if I can get this last piece of gear from someone, I think it's the single most expensive piece which is why it is the hardest.. Thanks again guys,

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMER
    David
    Ditto for me. I can't help with any equipment but I can offer to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebrnch
    Thought I would pass this story on to you folks. We are having drill this weekend at my national guard armory. Had a young guy in my office going over his field equipment records and he tells me how almost all of his field gear was lost by his 'idiot' squad leader. I know the squad leader (and to be honest he is an idiot) so I felt bad for the 'kid'. He was looking at having to replace about $1,300 worth of stuff out of his own pocket.michael
    First thing that needs to happen is the squad leader needs to be reported, then written up, and then taken out back! ;D I can assure you if the right people know about this, the squad leader will be paying for all the stuff. Make sure they know!