Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    171

    The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    The main problem with some kitcar makers and their lack of popularity on a wide scale in my opinion is because they cater for a very small market for people who want to have the pomp and feel of a Ferrari or a Lamborghini at a much cheaper price, I mean the show without the go most of the times but then people do Turbo/Super-charge them and also plonk in BMW V12s, Audi V8s and Big Black GM Engines and what not, but the reliability and characteristics of the actual engine are never there ( Ohh please do not use a Bike engine in a Kitcar weighing over a Ton, the engine will not last long and maintenance will be high ).

    Anyways, If some one takes BMW 5 or 7 series from the 90s or Mercedes' previous generation S Classes
    into the New S-Class/Maybach 57 and I do not think these gr8 marques would be upset if you convert a merc into a merc or a beemer into a beemer or even a toyota into a lexus would be a bigger deal than converting a fiero from the jurassic period into a Lambo or a Toyota from before I was born, into a Ferrari ???

    For e.g., converting a Landcruiser to a LX470 or Camry - Lexus ES Conversion should not be a problem

    In Short, there should be better quality practical used cars like Rolls Royce Phantom, Maybach or Bentley Arnage/Continental etc.

    The Rolls Royce conversions I see are rubbish Chrysler 300C into Phantom conversions or the TLC Taxi Car ( Lincoln Towncar ) into Bentley conversions.
    The other Roller Conversion is a conversion from an Earlier Roller but no one in their right mind will pay over a 100K for a Kitcar.

    For e.g. Merc, my friend, if my Murcielago Kit is coming to ard. 70K-80K I rather buy a genuine Diablo for that much with a Genuine V12 ( I am a frequenter of Auctions - innit )
    Which brings to light that other company which was selling the replica Vanquish on a Mustang for more than the actual price I saw a real Vanquish for.

    A frd of mine got a Murcielago with Damaged Body Work for 80K.
    He spent somewhere ard 15k-20k to fit out the body with replica panels ( Just like OEM ) and boom - He got a real Murcie for less than 100K

  2. #2
    SKExotics
    Guest

    Re: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    I know this may be a mistake, but I got to set you straight NYJatt. The main reason people that can afford one of the "real" used Diablos is the price to actually maintain the original V12, and other components. I was totally against Fiero based builds when I first started with kits, but realize how stupid that thinking can be. Most Fiero based builds don't have many Fiero components left on them. Usually the "Tub" and some other factory components that we use on a tubular chassis anyway. If you have a serious problem with "KIT CAR MAKERS" and believe you can make a difference try it out for yourself. These guys have enough problems without someone that hasn't "walked in there shoes" telling them what they need to do so someone can:
    -Send them fake money orders/Cashiers checks
    -Correspond for a month, and then disappear when the contracts ready to sign
    -Want a kit built for peanuts
    -etc.......
    Deal with the above for a few months and I bet you will realize a few thing about yourself.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    171

    Re: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    Quote Originally Posted by SKExotics
    I know this may be a mistake, but I got to set you straight NYJatt. The main reason people that can afford one of the "real" used Diablos is the price to actually maintain the original V12, and other components. I was totally against Fiero based builds when I first started with kits, but realize how stupid that thinking can be. Most Fiero based builds don't have many Fiero components left on them. Usually the "Tub" and some other factory components that we use on a tubular chassis anyway. If you have a serious problem with "KIT CAR MAKERS" and believe you can make a difference try it out for yourself. These guys have enough problems without someone that hasn't "walked in there shoes" telling them what they need to do so someone can:
    -Send them fake money orders/Cashiers checks
    -Correspond for a month, and then disappear when the contracts ready to sign
    -Want a kit built for peanuts
    -etc.......
    Deal with the above for a few months and I bet you will realize a few thing about yourself.
    I think it is going to be hard for you to make a point to me.
    There are amazing Kitcar makers in the UK like DNA and Extreme and copyright laws are so not over the top in the motherland but here in USA, even the good kitcar makers have to be underground cuz of danger of being prosecuted due to strong copyright laws, Point Noted, poor guys have to work hard but it is their business, they want to earn money from it. Point agreed, but then there are other replicar makers who just take your money and vanish - Innit ?

    Lets get to the point here, I am not here to sympathesize with any of the Kit Makers or you or any one in particular, the main point is if some one makes a replica of a practical car like a Rolls Royce or a Maybach, there will be more takers than those uber low Ferraris and Lambos, even with the "self-raising" suspension they will amost scrape their belly everywhere !

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    451

    Re: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    Who wants a Rolls Royce or a Maybech? Not me, and not those I see who are building F's and L's. Matter of preference, and you are entitled to your own opinion. I personally want a fun car to drive that isn't gonna cost me $400/mo insurance, 3,500/mo car loan payment, $1 per mile maintenance. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Too bad you can't see the benefits of building your own replica. The best benefit is that some one can see my car and after they say, "WOW!" I can say, "I built ALL of this". Knowing this wouldn't have existed without myself and groups of people like those on this forum that are willing and able to help this community. So maybe you can just 'scrape' yourself off this message board and onto the many others that deal with the problems/issues of these 'real' cars you speak of. Enjoy the cost of that next tune up, I hear it's a doozy! Eric

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    149

    Re: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    that old adage of "you get what you pay for" is never more true than in the kitcar marketplace, the reason that there is not a huge manufacturing base making replica bentley's or rollers or maybachs or that unique design, is that the average joe in the street has no idea what it takes in terms of man hours and engineering skill to create a car that actually functions as a road going piece of machinery. All they see is a bodyshell /piece of fiberglass and probably think well thats 90% of the car the rest is easy. Yeah right!the body is 10% of the car. So 100K for a one off custom built car is cheap money. - how much do you think foose charges???, definately not $25 g's turnkey!!-Besides the capital investment it would take to "knock off" a new s class would be about the same as buying a used one, they are nice , but by no means an exotic.

    It takes a long time to build a good reputation in this arena, and the manufacturers who has spent time,money and energy developing the product are still around because their product is buildable, but the get rich quick "splash" merchants only sully everyone elses perception of an industry that has to fight everyday for credibility.

    So i hope the industry matures into a specialist niche where the product is unique and buildable, and the easy peasy lets just make a fake s class for me requests are long gone

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    171

    Re: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariXXXman
    Who wants a Rolls Royce or a Maybech? Not me, and not those I see who are building F's and L's. Matter of preference, and you are entitled to your own opinion. I personally want a fun car to drive that isn't gonna cost me $400/mo insurance, 3,500/mo car loan payment, $1 per mile maintenance. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Too bad you can't see the benefits of building your own replica. The best benefit is that some one can see my car and after they say, "WOW!" I can say, "I built ALL of this". Knowing this wouldn't have existed without myself and groups of people like those on this forum that are willing and able to help this community. So maybe you can just 'scrape' yourself off this message board and onto the many others that deal with the problems/issues of these 'real' cars you speak of. Enjoy the cost of that next tune up, I hear it's a doozy! Eric
    There is nothing wrong in building Fs and Ls - Every one likes them - Who doesn't ?
    No offence to any one, I would just say that I know a lot of people who would love to have their families go with them in their replicas which the respective people make/get made. These Ferraris and Lambos are just impractical with low ground clearance and only 2 seats ( Plz dont bring the Extreme Peugeot 360 with "practical" 4 seats ).

    Oyeah - Good luck for your life if you accidently crash some of that "fiberglass" innit ?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    171

    Re: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    Quote Originally Posted by detroitbrit
    that old adage of "you get what you pay for" is never more true than in the kitcar marketplace, the reason that there is not a huge manufacturing base making replica bentley's or rollers or maybachs or that unique design, is that the average joe in the street has no idea what it takes in terms of man hours and engineering skill to create a car that actually functions as a road going piece of machinery. All they see is a bodyshell /piece of fiberglass and probably think well thats 90% of the car the rest is easy. Yeah right!the body is 10% of the car. So 100K for a one off custom built car is cheap money. - how much do you think foose charges???, definately not $25 g's turnkey!!-Besides the capital investment it would take to "knock off" a new s class would be about the same as buying a used one, they are nice , but by no means an exotic.

    It takes a long time to build a good reputation in this arena, and the manufacturers who has spent time,money and energy developing the product are still around because their product is buildable, but the get rich quick "splash" merchants only sully everyone elses perception of an industry that has to fight everyday for credibility.

    So i hope the industry matures into a specialist niche where the product is unique and buildable, and the easy peasy lets just make a fake s class for me requests are long gone
    ABSOLUTELY !
    But they can market it in larger quantities rather than one-offs and be the first people to supposedly do the same - A quality replica of an exotic luxury car !

    People should learn from Extreme, DNA and ( I will not take the names of the US companies ;-) )

  8. #8

    Re: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    You do make a good point about how you can buy a real exotic with some damage from an auction and fix it yourself. For the cost of a replica, you could have real one.

    But the problem comes with having a real car, you get real maintenance. To refer something I learned some time ago, if you buy a real exotic (ferrari, lamborghini, for example) make sure you have enough money for two, half to buy the car, the other half for maintenance. How much would insurance be, provided it's not a salvage title car? I don't know. And what about maintenance for the real engine?

    I agree that brand such as Mercedes and BMW wouldn't mind a person converting the base car to a more upscale model (AMG, M3, M5, whatever it maybe). Toyota/Lexus probably won't mind conversion. But to be honest, sometimes it might be more "economical" to just buy the real thing than to convert. Unless you really have sentimental value for base model and want to convert, it would be better to just buy a real M3 versus a 3 Series conversion or a Toyota to Lexus.

    If you want to build a AMG or M3, M5, or a Toyota/Lexus, no one need to create a business for it. Just buy the required parts from the dealer and install it yourself. Or have a auto body shop do it.


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    378

    Re: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    NYJATT911,

    Well why dont you just buy a real diablo then? Cause for all the options you were requesting(Chassis, BWM V12, Paddle Shifter, Porsche or 300m tranny(i dont remember which one it was you wanted exactly)Lambo replica suspension, OEM Interior, real OEM LP640 rims, air ride suspension, G28 kit, etc.) what was quoted to you was a VERY realistic price! And VERY reasonable might I add! Bro you wanted all the bells and whistle's, and when you want all the bells and whistle's like you requested you have to have bells and whistles money!! Sure you can go get someone to do a basic rebodied fiero murci for $45k-$49k all day! It's a spot in FL doing them. But when you want all the stuff that you requested that's when things add up bro. What I would suggest you do is for all the things you want on your replica, like you said just go get you a real diablo. I think that wold solve everything for you my friend. It might now be a murcielago but atleast you would have a real lambo.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    171

    Re: The Main Problem with KitCar Makers?*SERIOUS TOPIC*KITCAR MAKERS - PLZ NOTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Merc
    NYJATT911,

    Well why dont you just buy a real diablo then? Cause for all the options you were requesting(Chassis, BWM V12, Paddle Shifter, Porsche or 300m tranny(i dont remember which one it was you wanted exactly)Lambo replica suspension, OEM Interior, real OEM LP640 rims, air ride suspension, G28 kit, etc.) what was quoted to you was a VERY realistic price! And VERY reasonable might I add! Bro you wanted all the bells and whistle's, and when you want all the bells and whistle's like you requested you have to have bells and whistles money!! Sure you can go get someone to do a basic rebodied fiero murci for $45k-$49k all day! It's a spot in FL doing them. But when you want all the stuff that you requested that's when things add up bro. What I would suggest you do is for all the things you want on your replica, like you said just go get you a real diablo. I think that wold solve everything for you my friend. It might now be a murcielago but atleast you would have a real lambo.

    I personally like the Murc more than the Diablo and would def. come to you when I have more $$$ for stuff.
    Right now, I just do not want to waste your time.
    No offense of any sort Bro.
    Thanks n peace ;D

Similar Threads

  1. quality kit makers
    By katana in forum General Kitcar Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 08:58 AM
  2. Speed Makers kit car episode on Speed Channel
    By RHK in forum General Kitcar Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 10:22 AM
  3. SO are these ppl kit makers or...
    By realizhymn in forum General Kitcar Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 12:18 AM
  4. mold makers rent a car... is this cheap?
    By lowboost in forum Technical Discussion & Question
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM
  5. Makers of elusive Enzo Kit
    By Magus in forum General Kitcar Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 12:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •