Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member

hi, im a new member here, i just read the threads alot. i have a mr2 based xotic replicas f355 kit (modified B.A.D. kit) and the car has just gone in to be blended and painted (dark metalic grey), but i have a few quick questions to help improve the look of the car. can i get rear 1/4 windows that dont have the mr2 grilles in them? how much ground clearance does the real 355 have at the sills? and is there any other usefull tips i may not know or think of to improve the car. i have found this site very helpfull and a great source of knowlege. thanks in advance. lewis.

Re: new member

hi lewis

glad to see another irish member...... the BAD kit is an ok kit but still has its problems.......there are many changes u can make to this kit in my opinion to improve the looks of the car..........iam a couple of months into one myself.......where to start.......the main problem i didnt like wit the kit is the coke bottle effect in the doors following into the quarter panel, having just finished the passanger side i think it greatly improves the look of the car completly, secondly the flying buttresses, On ur kit they curve outwards this annoyed me big time.....check out real 355 or daves(funnywheels) first car they should run straight...Next ur door scoop, two small for me needed too be bigger....while correcting the coke bottle effect it gave me room to increase the door scoop size and removed the step in the scoop also.......Next the mirrors...this kit has fixed mirrors if u can have them seperated, a personal thing to me i just luv to be able to fold mine, there not finished yet still a lot of work to go on these. ..........From here the boot/engine lid again check out the shape of a real one or again funnywheels, its completly different inside and out.........Ur fly window query why not go for an oem fly window...again its a lot of work to make it work but the difference is fantastic (iam working on this part at the moment).................Another thing that i have changed is my rear lamp panel....on the bad kit the panel is permanently bonded into place...again personal thing i didnt like it and have mine as a separate unboltable panel ...there are two pieces on the light panel which have to be removed from the light panel and fibreglasses to the quarter panels.........I started my build expecting a finish date quikly but now its a labour of love and will be finished when its done.........................I dont post much on the site but the information u can gather is fantastic check out funnywheels build thread or one i am very interested in at the mo is dons as i am working on my replica interior at the mo........a quik tip use fibreglass matt for alterations not body filler, only use the filler for final finishing.......there are other things like reversing the hinges on the bonnet which i intend to do and slight alterations to the rear bumper to improve the look of the car.....................welcome to the site and enjoy ur build as i know i am plus while iam posting thanks to all as without this site i would be lost....(don anyupdates on ur build.....Dave the car looks fantastic)

kitmanic

hello everyone. I am new here too.

__________________________________________________ __
    I bought my parts at Autopartswarehouse...
    Autopartswarehouse rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by kitmanic
    hi lewis

glad to see another irish member...... the BAD kit is an ok kit but still has its problems.......there are many changes u can make to this kit in my opinion to improve the looks of the car..........iam a couple of months into one myself.......where to start.......the main problem i didnt like wit the kit is the coke bottle effect in the doors following into the quarter panel, having just finished the passanger side i think it greatly improves the look of the car completly, secondly the flying buttresses, On ur kit they curve outwards this annoyed me big time.....check out real 355 or daves(funnywheels) first car they should run straight...Next ur door scoop, two small for me needed too be bigger....while correcting the coke bottle effect it gave me room to increase the door scoop size and removed the step in the scoop also.......Next the mirrors...this kit has fixed mirrors if u can have them seperated, a personal thing to me i just luv to be able to fold mine, there not finished yet still a lot of work to go on these. ..........From here the boot/engine lid again check out the shape of a real one or again funnywheels, its completly different inside and out.........Ur fly window query why not go for an oem fly window...again its a lot of work to make it work but the difference is fantastic (iam working on this part at the moment).................Another thing that i have changed is my rear lamp panel....on the bad kit the panel is permanently bonded into place...again personal thing i didnt like it and have mine as a separate unboltable panel ...there are two pieces on the light panel which have to be removed from the light panel and fibreglasses to the quarter panels.........I started my build expecting a finish date quikly but now its a labour of love and will be finished when its done.........................I dont post much on the site but the information u can gather is fantastic check out funnywheels build thread or one i am very interested in at the mo is dons as i am working on my replica interior at the mo........a quik tip use fibreglass matt for alterations not body filler, only use the filler for final finishing.......there are other things like reversing the hinges on the bonnet which i intend to do and slight alterations to the rear bumper to improve the look of the car.....................welcome to the site and enjoy ur build as i know i am plus while iam posting thanks to all as without this site i would be lost....(don anyupdates on ur build.....Dave the car looks fantastic)

kitmanic
    Kitmanic: Thank you for the complements. It really is a labor of love when building a replica. Plenty of OEM parts help the process as well.

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by kitmanic
    hi lewis

kitmanic
    we do the replica interior if you want to save the work(half way down the page) http://www.extreme-sportscars.com/q&a.htm

hi, thanks for the replies. the kit i have was based on a b.a.d kit but its already been mondified before i fitted it. mine has a removable rear light panel but i have chosen to bond it in, what do you mean by the bottlenecking doors are they meant to be flat all the way accross?? if so i see what you mean. can the standard dails, controls etc still be used with your interior kit extreme? i bought the kit from robert (i think) at extreme and although it wasnt one of their own kits, were happy to help still
    the only place i could find the real windows were from eurospares but they wanted 400+vat each side, that was too far out of my price range as im working part time and to pay for this car, im also a student.
    ive had great fun building the kit but im glad to see it coming together at the bodyshop now.
    www.xoticreplicas.com
    thats alans website and the manifacturer of my kit, hes always happy to help to, infact every company bar one was happy to help. the one tried to con me out of my car and 2500 and a wasted 250mile journey. but hey, we live and learn. thanks. lewis.

forgot to mention a couple of things i have done;
    * made the mirrors swivle and lock into both possitions
    * made the door vents active
    * used a fibreglass roof insert for a gts style roof, and cut out the t bar.
    for this im going to do some strengthening, what do you recomend doing?

things i will be doing
    * welded a flate tube of metal along the chassi 1" below the body work to stop damage to body work of speed bumps
    * thinking about filling body panels with expanding foam to stop noises and creeks
    *adding battery terminals in a hidden box so if the battery goes flat i can still use central locking + door poppers, as ive covered up the door lock.
    *hopefully get some parts made out of carbon fibre, like bonnet vent, engine lid vent, headlight covers and fuel cap, does anyone know who can do this, i have the cf weave, but no gelcoat etc.

Extreme have u got any more pics of the interior.............does the dash come with a cluster pod?.....on the door cards is there a pistol grip? or is the stansard mr2 door open mech used.........if possible do u have pics of an interior in an mr2.....

Lewis just found out today ur not in ireland but based in wales.....wot part as i do regular trips over luv to see the car......ur quarter light glass.. have u contimplated useing polycarbonate...this could be shaped to more of an original look.....

Almost forgot lewis......wot u planning on doing about the lack of a third brake light at the rear of the car?

sorry for the late reply, have been a bit busy. umn thought about fitting one but if it ever went wrong it would be quite hard to put a new one in other than bonding it in and the wires would be hard to thread through the engine lid after painted if needed replacing. thanks. lewis.