Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on how to protect our builders?

Any ideas on how to protect our builders?

With all the talk about Audi going after builders, I wonder if we should some how keep a lid on builds that are going on so the few really good builders that we know of don't get shut down. I think maybe just talk by email rather then post topics on here? Or, does any one have any better ideas? I know this is a complicated subject. I just don't want to see these great builders get shut down so when people are ready to get a body or a car built there will be no one left..

Re: Any ideas on how to protect our builders?

I dont know of any "builders" who have been shut down by Audi. I may be wrong, but I think Audi is going after the body manufacturers, they are the ones who are in copyrite infringement. Steve from Triangle-G got shut down because he manufactured bodys, not because he built cars. In fact, Steve does not build cars at all. Audi wanted him to stop making replica bodies of the Murcielago, and he did. He only offers his G40 now, which bears no Lamborghini emblems, and is not a replica of any Lambo car.
    As a builder, I'm not doing anything wrong. If somebody comes to me and says," will you put this kit together for me, and I'll pay you for your expertise and labor", and I accept, Audi has no case against me. If any does, it would be the state of CA., for operating a business without a license, and maybe even the State Contractors License Board, for contracting without a license.
    I'm not worried about Audi. I respect them and understand they need to protect their interests, but I am no threat to them. I just assemble whats already out there. There is no law against owning a Kit Car, nor building one for yourself. If Me and a friend decide to go in halves and build a car, and then when its done he decides to buy me out, thats his right. According to CA. State law, I can sell 2 cars a year, and not need a dealers license.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Has there been any case where Audi went after a builder?

Not that I have heard of.

On the Kit Centeral site I red that some guys have been shut down and they seem worried when new posters are asking about Murci kit cars wanting to get built. NAERC here in Canada got shut down I heard because of Audi. That's why I posted this topic, to try and stop Audi from going after builders like MM and Extreem. But if no one feels like there's a concearn, then I guess all is well.

I believe I misunderstood your question. When you said builder, I was thinking of the owners who buy (or build) a donor, body panels and assemble the "kit" for their personal use. This type of builder should have nothing to worry about from Audi. After all how many "S4" logos do you see on a stock A4? Is Audi going to sue these people for fraud? Most likely not. Now if you are talking about the manufactures, that is different story. Since there is profit involved, they have something to worry about. If the manufactures get the attention of Audi, then they need to get lawyers involved.

The point of my post was to come up with something so Audi doesn't go after guys like Murci-Me, Extreem or any other guys selling bodies and building cars for people. From what I have heard there is a problem with this going on.

Ken (NAERC) told me he got shut down because he continued to sell after recieving a C&D letter from AUDI. The problem was, he was advertising and selling Lamborghini parts, and he was not licensed by them to do so. Lambostuff.com is licensed to sell Lambo parts, thats why their business is thriving, and AUDI leaves them alone.
    I'm not 100% shure that they wont come after me, only time will tell. I've looked at it from all angles, and understand their gripes. To the best of my knowledge, I'm not infringing on any of thier pattents, or copyrites. I do not manufacture bodies, I just assemble cars. My cars, when finished, bear no Lamborghini logo's or emblems, and I am not responsible for what people choose to refer to the car as, or what manufacturers emblems they place on the car.

Look at this site:
    http://www.rarecars.org/

He is just a builder.

They did shut down Wildstyle Exotics in PA. They were the main builder for D&R. IFG just shut down themselves as I understand it. Ken Esler was not the builder of any of his cars, he had other guys build for him and then he sold the cars under NAERC.

As a matter of fact wildstyle only PUT together the cars, the received the body kits directly from D&R. Wildstyle said hey we just put the kits together! We don't make the kits. The ran a body shop as the main source of income.

RUNDLC