Thread: New to Kit Cars

New to Kit Cars

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Kit cars and I've been doing some research, but I would like to get some first hand opinions. I would like to build a 1932 Highboy or a Cobra. I have found some manufactures that make all the body and chassi parts and things like that, but I'm wondering about engine and trans. And how much would this really cost.....etc.

I'm looking for anything you guys have to say, good, bad....doesn't matter. I want and need advice.

Thanks

Re: New to Kit Cars

Weelll, first off, be careful, there are a lot of people in this business you cannot trust. Prodominately on the exotic cars side, Lambo and "F" replicas. There are some good ones as well. I have built a lot of cobras and there are some excellent vendors out there. Cobras are probably the cheapest and easiest to build. No door glass, no top, huge number of drivetrain options. I consider the '32 more on the street rod side of the business. While I do both there is a definate line in the sand, mostly drawn there by the street rod folks. No matter what you decide, be a good project manager, by starting to do your homework, know the players (body or kit manufacturers) in the market you are interested in. Understand your budget, yeh, I know everyone thinks they know their budget but do you understand it? A $30K cobra build cannot have a $25K custom engine. (Do you really need a $25K custom engine?) There are too many things to consider for such a broad question. Once you narrow your focus, I'm sure the fine people here will try to help answer some questions.

Good luck.

STAY AWAY FROM SUPEREPLICAS.COM!!!!!!! They will steal your money and burry your head in the mud!!!!

I too am interested in building a kit car. I have been working on customers regular driver and some street rods for 25 years. I want to make the jump into kit cars. For money and hobby. But where to start. How to NOT be taken. I would like to build a Cobra first. What is a good kit. One people will recognize and maybe be eager to purchase when done? Is it beter to build an engine locally? Or buy an engine and trans from a vendor? Again, like the other guy...... any help would be appreciated.

Skav-out

Not many people make money building kit cars. A few do make money building bodies. You take the average 355 replica. Buy a decent Fiero, $7k for a really nice kit that looks accurate, replicate the interior, engine mods so it will perform better than 120hp, authentic lights and such. Next thing you know, you have tied up two and half time (without considering labor) what the market will bare. I'm not saying the car is not worth every penny you put into it, but it is only worth what someone will buy it for if you are doing it as a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger
    I too am interested in building a kit car. I have been working on customers regular driver and some street rods for 25 years. I want to make the jump into kit cars. For money and hobby. But where to start. How to NOT be taken. I would like to build a Cobra first. What is a good kit. One people will recognize and maybe be eager to purchase when done? Is it beter to build an engine locally? Or buy an engine and trans from a vendor? Again, like the other guy...... any help would be appreciated.

Skav-out
    Maybe we need to trade a nice 32 Ford for my 355?

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I think I have decided on a Cobra. I found a couple credible looking websites. Lone star classics and Factory Five. Any opinion on these guys? And i've been seeing somethings about a kit car school that is a weekend course on building one. Opinions?

Thanks for the comments guys I really do need some advice.

Everyone has a different opinion, the old saying about opinions are like ---holes, everbody has one. I have built a FF, several Mid-states, finished a contemperary roller, a couple with no name. I don't particularly like the FF. The fiberglass was inferior to mid-states and I don't like a custom car with a lot of donor parts. Why put that amount of time and money into something and use suspension parts from a junk yard with 100k miles on them when you could have built a mid-states (or others) for the same money with new parts. FF does have good support and they are a legitimate business, they care about their customers. Shell valley bought (or merged) mid-states but as far as I know the shell valley is chopper gun and mid-states is hand layed. I will help you with any info I can, post or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by tiemeflyme
    I think I have decided on a Cobra. I found a couple credible looking websites. Lone star classics and Factory Five. Any opinion on these guys? And i've been seeing somethings about a kit car school that is a weekend course on building one. Opinions?

Thanks for the comments guys I really do need some advice.
    Everett-Morrrison is just up the road from me. They seem to make a great Cobera.

Best of luck,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.