Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TESLA - Electric Sports Car

TESLA - Electric Sports Car

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/380194/2294892

$92,000 Sheesh

Black Ops Juts what you were waiting for.

Re: TESLA - Electric Sports Car

Check this one out. It is very cool!

http://video.popularmechanics.com/se...ctid1351300070
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

How about this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How about a fiberglass 32 Ford Street Rod, Yellow with Tan interior of course.

Well again there will be as many opinions as people. I am not an EV expert but I have spent many hours investigating the viability of building EV's. I think it is a worthwhile opportunity but here are somethings that I have found out that no one promoting EV's really want to discuss. The only viable battery technology as of today is still lead acid. Large, heavy and limited range. Now I know you all are going to jump on Li-ion and LiFEpo technology BUT $12,000 for batteries that will likely last less than three years that require a sophisticated management system that is specific to the battery manufacturer is not a realistic option and that is why there has been no explosion of EV's on the market. I don't remember the specifics but I calulated the ROI (return on investment) at $4.00/gal versus a 20/mpg SUV to still be over 8 years. If you have to replace the battery pack of Li batteries there will never be a return. I am as ready as anyone to wean off oil but the technology is not there yet for EV. Well technology versus cost is not. I will like to see how these new breed of EV's are performing 5 years from now. I hope I'm wrong. The other reason there is no great market for EV's is there is not enough infrustructure in the power system to replace gas burning vehicles with electric. It is not free and abundent. Do you remember the rolling blackouts is California becuase the stupid politicians did not have to balls to push a real energy plan to meet the needs of the people. If California barely has enough power to manage during peak demands in the summer, where are they going get the millions of megawatts of power if 15 to 20% of people switch to EV's.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Ops
    Oh Electric Street Rods ..

Like this

Roadster is owned and operated by "Wilde EVolutions, Inc." based in Arizona and the state of Washington.

http://www.suckamps.com/index.php?pa..._team_vehicles

or this one

Legend Car, 120 volts of Exide XCD orbital batteries, 1200 amp DC Power Systems Raptor controller, 9" Advanced DC motor

http://www.jnfoods.shoppingcartsplus.com/home.html

Smart cars, stupid people
    Where is the electric auto today?

By Laura Snyder, Life Columnist
    Sunday, June 01, 2008

The gas prices being what they are these days, my husband has been trying to find ways in which he would not have to participate in the "gas game" as he calls it.

First, riding a bike to work seemed like a good nonparticipatory activity. He changed his mind on the first day it rained. Since he had left his car at work, he had no choice but to cycle in the rain. Even the extra clothes he had brought were soaked through.

This experience put him off any means of transportation that did not come with a lid. That includes motorcycles, mopeds, scooters and high-powered walking.

He started researching electric cars. He learned that General Motors had a marketable electric car in the late 1990s, but they were too intimidated by ... something ... to keep it on the market. The oil companies, of course, were intimidated by the car, because the EV1, as it was called, worked so well. It went 70 mph, had decent range, was quiet, had no emissions and, best of all, ran exclusively off electric no gas at all.

OK, so we were about 10 years too late for that little miracle. In our defense, though, we didn't even know about it until GM had already taken all of the EV1s off the streets. They were leased only to about 800 drivers in California, and when the leases were up, GM gathered up the cars and had them destroyed because, the company said, there was no market for an electric car.

Well, if they had simply told us about it, they'd have had more orders than they'd have known what to do with! My husband would have bought two!

The Smart Car is all the rage now, but you have to be on a waiting list to get one. People are not waiting on a list because of its sleek beauty (it looks like a cartoon turtle), its seating capacity (21/2 people) or its powerful engine (think wind-up toy). They are waiting for this car because of the money it will save in gas. It stands to reason that if people will wait in line for a car that uses less gas, there would have been riots in the streets for a car that used zero gas. But no, there wasn't enough demand, GM said.

Someone over there at GM was clearly on some mind-numbing narcotic the day the company came to that brilliant conclusion.

Then we have the hybrids which, incidentally, still use gas, but less of it, because they run on electric when they don't need the power that gas apparently supplies. When you are slowing and stopping, you are actually recharging the batteries. There is no need to plug it in. OPEC apparently feels hybrids are OK, judging from the fact that we actually know about them. There is still a market here for their petroleum product, after all.

The newest thing my husband is salivating over, though, is the as yet unmarketed "plug-in hybrid." This little gem would hypothetically go 50 miles using only electric, and only when the batteries have been exhausted does it switch to gas for more range. Then you go home, plug it in to an electric outlet and you're ready to go with another 50 miles of purely electric power.

Now, for most of us, 50 miles is enough to meet our day-to-day transportation needs. But you've still got the gas power for the times you have to go visit Aunt Tilly in Cleveland.

Yes, your electric bill would be slightly higher, but only slightly higher, because you'd be paying two-hundredths of a cent per mile for electric as opposed to 20 cents per mile for gas. We must keep this under wraps for a while longer though, so that OPEC doesn't catch wind of it and eighty-six the project.

Then all we need to do is get our electricity plants completely converted to solar, nuclear, wind or hydro power. We're almost there. Then we can call ourselves a "green" nation, and my husband won't have to ride in the rain.
    Yep! that will do but after reading the last post, maybe I will turn it into a Hybrid.

Maybe a little honda generator charging the batteries that drive the motor. Or how about hydrogen?

I would put either in one of these babies.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    Well again there will be as many opinions as people. I am not an EV expert but I have spent many hours investigating the viability of building EV's. I think it is a worthwhile opportunity but here are somethings that I have found out that no one promoting EV's really want to discuss. The only viable battery technology as of today is still lead acid. Large, heavy and limited range. Now I know you all are going to jump on Li-ion and LiFEpo technology BUT $12,000 for batteries that will likely last less than three years that require a sophisticated management system that is specific to the battery manufacturer is not a realistic option and that is why there has been no explosion of EV's on the market. I don't remember the specifics but I calulated the ROI (return on investment) at $4.00/gal versus a 20/mpg SUV to still be over 8 years. If you have to replace the battery pack of Li batteries there will never be a return. I am as ready as anyone to wean off oil but the technology is not there yet for EV. Well technology versus cost is not. I will like to see how these new breed of EV's are performing 5 years from now. I hope I'm wrong. The other reason there is no great market for EV's is there is not enough infrustructure in the power system to replace gas burning vehicles with electric. It is not free and abundent. Do you remember the rolling blackouts is California becuase the stupid politicians did not have to balls to push a real energy plan to meet the needs of the people. If California barely has enough power to manage during peak demands in the summer, where are they going get the millions of megawatts of power if 15 to 20% of people switch to EV's.
    That is $333.33 per month just to replace the batteries, plus the car, plus charging it, plus tires etc. Tat baby will cost about $900 per month. Yu can drive a nice new BMW for that kind of money and not limited to short distances.

Honestly, why cant people make good looking electric cars. :P
    -If you build it...they will buy.-

You are a BIT late mate ... I have already put my Name down last year for the Mitsubishi i-EV that goes on sale at the end of this year ... $30,000 for a 5 door EV .... ;D

http://www.madmechanics.com/off-topi...ev-sports-car/

100% EV hit the MARKET this year ..

The Mitsubishi I-EV

It goes on Sale here in Japan in November 2008 .. how do I know .. my name is on the Waiting List for one ... the Car sells for 3,500,000 or in US $33,600

it has a Range of 100 miles (160 Kilometres)
    Top Speed of 80 miles (130 Kilometres)
    Charge over night or, 3-phase 200 volt 50kW QuickCharger will give you an 80 percent charge in half an hour

Subaru will start selling the R1e EV in March 2009 here in Japan also, it will be a little cheaper but about the same range ....

Range: 120 km
    Batteries: laminated Li-ion supplied by NEC
    Battery Life: 150,000 km
    Top Speed: 100 km
    Recharging: 8 hours at home or 5 minutes using a Quick Charger

Mitsubishi have a total of 4 models that will be released in 2008 and 2009
    Subaru has 1
    Nissan has 3 in 2010 ...

EV's are here .. and HOME made EV's are under $15000 to make ... SO why can't the Kit Car Companies start going the same path ??

It's taken 20 years, but I have finally been weaned off of Oil, I have matured in to a EVer.
    SAVE THE POLAR BEARS, GO EV!

Now back to sweeping the streets, pimp!

Why would anyone want a mustang or cobra ev when you can have a Mitsubishi I-EV ? ;D

Quote Originally Posted by bartman

Maybe you better read this

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ive-14671.html

Is an EV conversion really cost effective?

This is my Reply to the same Question on the DIY Forum

At the moment here in Japan the Price of Fuel is 175 a litre or .2 of a Gallon (700 a Gallon( 700 = US$6.65)) The wife has to travel to Tokyo from Ichihara which is over 60 Kilometres away so that is 120 K's per day .. so 600 Kilometres per week .. now we own a Lexus GS450 Hybrid but the fuel tank still takes about 55 to 60 Litres ... and we will use that in a week

so 55 L at 175 = 9,625 or US$91.53 per week over 52 weeks $4,759

She takes the Train now but that cost 33,000 or US$ 313.80 a month so over 1 year US$3,765.60

The wife has spent over $15,000 in 4 years .. I have spend $8,000 so that is $23,000 in fuel alone .. not including Service ....

See why I want a EV ...

Also go read this site

http://www.evalbum.com/1135

Now you have to go apples to apples. The first website is a conversion website. AND if you read my post, I discussed lead acid batteries. That is exactly what kind of conversion you are going to get for $10k, lead acid, dc motor, controller and charger, DIY. That just drives home my point about Li batteries. Conversion with Li batteries will add at least $10,000. AND that is a conversion, not Tesla. Here in the US gas is hovering around $4.00/gal. Tesla is $92k, lets say you wanted a sporty car and instead opt for a Boxster. The price difference alone is over $32k, without the fact that Li batteries will likely have to be replaced in less than three years at a cost of $12k-$15k. $32k buys a lot of fuel even at $5or$6/gal. I am not an EV basher. Just don't get caught up in the moment and brainwashed by the marketing. If the price were equal and you had to fork out $12-$15K on batteries every 3 years, is it still a viable option?? And no one adressed my point, if 15% of the people swapped to EV, where would the power come from?