Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Build an almost exact replica from 1/24 scale model, plausible?

Build an almost exact replica from 1/24 scale model, plausible?

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted on here.

Basically, what I'm thinking is that it may be possible to build an almost exact 1/1 replica from a 1/24 scale model of the car.

Let's take an F40 1/24 scale model body for example.
    If I could make a negative mold of the scale model (out of plaster maybe), I could use the mold and push some modeling clay into it.
    When I pull the clay out of the mold, I should have a clay duplicate of the model car.
    I can then slice into thin pieces, kind of like a stack of paper.
    I can trace these pieces onto paper.
    Take these patterns to a printing store like KINKO'S and have them expand it 24 times (since the patterns was from a 1/24 scale model and expanding it 24 times would make it 1/1 actual car size).
    These patterns will be used to make a fiberglass buck or plug.

From these I should be able to build a plug that looks almost exact to the real car. And then take molds of the plug; then use the mold to make the actual fiberglass kit.

What do you all think?

Re: Build an almost exact replica from 1/24 scale model, plausible?

the main problem with 1:24 scale models are that they are approximations not true scale, also the enlargement feature on a copy machine is not true scale so this would merely compound the error. so a 1.0mm variance at 1:24 will probably result in a 30.0mm error at full size.

If you want to scale up there are a couple of places on the web that can scan your model for about $150, with these surfaces you can tweek and scale prior to cutting templates etc

I used to work with some engineers in Kent who previously worked for Hornby (scale cars and trains) and they told me that a true scaled down car rarely looks right so some dimensions are approximated to make the smaller version look 'right'. Also, looking at some models I have, I'm not sure that the people modelling them have ever seen much more than photos!

This is less likely if you buy some registered merchanidse as you would guess they had access to CAD files but just watch out exactly which model you base it on!
    It might be worth a net search to see if you can find better files of the car in some of the shadier corners of the internet. A lot of them do exist! Try posting on here and other sites to see what people have as well.

Good luck. Would be great to see how it develops!

I appreciate the replies.
    So what you are all saying is that plastic 1/24 scale models are at best approximate.
    I guess that makes sense since the plastic F40 kit I have was copyrighted in 1988. I doubt there was a 3D scanning technology available then.

MunkyKing, when you mentioned "this is less likely if you buy some registered merchandise" do you mean that an officially licensed product may have a more accurate attribute of the real car? Like for example, an officially licensed Ferrari 1/24 scale model kits is more likely to have more correct attributes of the real car.

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that it is a better to find a CAD file of the car? I had asked a question about using CAD files to replicate a car on a 3D milling machine, but I was told that the models are probably inaccurate and made by people from scratch. I suppose there are some CAD files that has an actual scan of the car. But seeing that I lack the knowledge to use CAD, I thought a better option was to buy a scale model kit of the real car.

As of right now, I don't think I'll be able to build an actual model with the limited workspace, limited capital resources, and inexperience with fiberglass. But there's nothing wrong with planning ahead. I think for the time being I'm going to try and see if I could build a 1/6 scale from a 1/24 scale model using the techniques I had described. If I can accomplish it, then it is plausible and building the real 1/1 version would be the same with that it would take more time, more materials, and more resources.

Even if the plastic model kits are at best approximate, I would be very satisfied if the actual 1/1 version looks just as great. It's kind of like the DNA 3Sixty replica; accurate, no; looks good and convincing of the real car, yes.

Thanks for the great feedback. Great advices from knowledgable kitcar enthusiasts.

for $300 you can get a 1/12 autoart lambo replica on e bay. So, I think that route is better although mor expensive it is a closer ratio. So depending on your car preference that might be about an average model price.

I believe Funnywheels knows of the guy who built a Mc Laren all by laser 3D technology cutting into foam. But I dont always get my info straight. But it helps to get a person in the right direction.

Jack

if you plan to step scale , go from 1:24 to 1:4 , it will give you a better read on proportions , 1:4 scale is the most common used ratio in major oem studios for theme development

Thank you for the input.

Just out of curiosity, what car is it that you want to build? Luke

I would like to build an F40.
    I would like to do a 1/4 scale model first as a test, I probably could make an RC car out of it at least. Thinking of doing a Testarossa also.