Thread: Importing a kit

Importing a kit

Hello everyone,

Newbie here, please be gentle. ;D

Does anyone know what the import duty or taxes are if I were to import a kit from Britain?
    I know shipping and crating will not be cheap, but just wondered what the other costs might be.

Thanks,

Alan

Ethros

Re: Importing a kit

Hi Alan

i'm based in the UK you need to see if the company will sell it to you without VAT s its leaving the UK this should get the price down by 17.5%

If they mark it as a gift then you should be ok with tax yourside.

If you need any help i'm based in the UK

Thanks for the quick reply....

I'd heard about the VAT thing..that's quite a saving.
    Supposing I didn't do the gift thing though....do you have any idea what the taxes etc would be at this end?

Thanks,

Alan

Ethros

You would have to find out what your country import tax is. But I would suggest getting it sent as a gift, they wont have a problem in doing this for you. What kit are you thinking of buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyrocko
    Thanks for the quick reply....

I'd heard about the VAT thing..that's quite a saving.
    Supposing I didn't do the gift thing though....do you have any idea what the taxes etc would be at this end?

Thanks,

Alan

If your thinking of importing from the UK to the US I can give you some guidance (free).

I'm not sure how many UK companies are VAT registered. Some small ones aren't while larger ones like Chesil, Caterham and Atom are. Only if they are VAT registered can you ask them to ship to you minus the VAT.

If youre in the US and are thinking of importing to the US and you want to bring in a kit with an engine, it will have to be EPA compliant and once it's in the country have to get it ICI tested of face a fine of up to $25,000 and they will impound the engine. This is different for race cars but I'm guessing you will want it for road use. Unfortuantely the 'one a year' rule for non-compliant cars per shipper is now no longer part of the rules.

If you want to bring in anything with bumpers, door handles. lights etc, you have to be very careful that they are not 'completed items'. If they are then they are subject to crash / theft test requirements.

There are also special laws governing kitcars and incomplete parts that require further modification to make the useable. This is the best route to take as long as it is true!

If your thinking of bringing in something like the DNA kit, that is much simpler.

I have copies of the forms you will need and also some suggestions of what you should say.

I've been thinking of bringing a mk1 Lotus Elise into the US for my own pleasure (5k pounds for a 97 model) and putting an exige body kit (clam shells) on it but the deeper I go with it, the more I realize that I would essentially only be able to bring the chassis in and then the clam shells from a second party seperately. I would then have to find an EPA suitable engine and fit that once it's over in the US. Current mk1 Elise engines aren't EPA compliant. All in all it doesn't look like its worth while.

A kit like the DNA, well that's much easier!!!

PM me if you want any more info.