Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: difficulties to import a kit?

Re: difficulties to import a kit?

For me ideally having a reliable supply of chassis and bodies so that I can supply assembled turnkeys is of more interest... body style not an issue right now.

Now, take that to Transport Canada and see what reaction you get; I can give you a hint. A gent in Nanaimo was doing exactly that, using imported bodies, and building his own chassis. TC showed up, said quit that: you can build and sell all of these, but none of them are legal for the road until you follow the same rules as GM. Send us 3 identical cars (at your cost) and a blank cheque for what is costs us to test them to destruction. If they DO pass the crash tests, and all the other regulations we have here (the book is nearly a foot thick), we will send you the remains (at your cost) with a report on the results. However, if you change ONE ITEM on your production line, then you must repeat the process. Faced with such expenses, clearly the guy quit. Apparently, one can build and sell the cars, but only for track use, never for road use.

I learned from him, and a guy in Victoria who was producing 32 Ford roadsters, and decided that TC was out to destroy the kit building industry, which is why it doesn't exist today. It is clear to me that the high-level bureaucracy was simply bought and paid for by GM, Ford and Chrysler. We have no chance, as far as I can see, and unless you are willing to gamble at ton of money on this, I don't think you have a chance either. If, through some wild fluke, you are willing to go into production, I assure you there will be no shortage of qualified chassis and body builders ready to supply you with all you need!

Can we have a moment of silence in remembrance of the "Kit Car" Industry (Canada).
    :'( :'( :'( :'(

So your saying if a guy has a complete kit car he wants to sell in Canada, if you buy it you can never drive it on the street?? Even though it was built in Canada? The rules must have changed then because I know back in 04 I talked to TC and the guy told me as long as the car came from Canada and was built in Canada there was no problem. If it came from the US then your screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk23
    So your saying if a guy has a complete kit car he wants to sell in Canada, if you buy it you can never drive it on the street?? Even though it was built in Canada? The rules must have changed then because I know back in 04 I talked to TC and the guy told me as long as the car came from Canada and was built in Canada there was no problem. If it came from the US then your screwed.
    If you build the complete car from scratch by yourself FOR YOURSELF you can have a kit car... you can even sell it BUT technically the guy buying it did NOT BUILD IT FOR HIM/HER SELF so uses it OFF the street. And if YOU build a second one and sell it then YOU and ALL THE BUYERS are in trouble. Thats getting very legal but thats the way the guidelines are written.

There is a turnkey Diablo out in Alberta that North American built a few years ago. The guy has been selling it for a while. So, if I were to buy it, could I drive the thing on the streets? Or how would I get around this?

Gee, Hawk, let me put it this way: how much are you willing to gamble? Odds at Vegas are about the same as those with TC. Some guys have been able to go through just fine, others never get on the road. Apparently it has to do with jurisdiction more than anything else; the feds see things one way, and the Provinces (remember here that each Province has their own regulations and interpretations) see things another.

In BC, usually the first thing the Provincial inspector looks for is the Federal seal... usually. Miss that part, then it just becomes another simple inspection. If the guy has nothing else to do, the $66 inspection gets into drilling holes in the chassis (!) and all that other invasive stuff. Strictly a game of Blackjack, deal the cards and hope. Then some guys play hardball by showing up with a lawyer in tow: not only does the inspector start to shake, but the Provincial guys back off as well. No one wants to devote their workday to a courtroom...

In Australia if I import a kit I first have to apply for permission to import from the department of infrastructure for a VIA (valid Importation assessment) witch you must have before you import to obtain road rego Allmost anything can come in BUT engineers certificates must be obtained for all structural components eg: Chassis suspension plus brakes etc etc.
    And as for our costs for importing If say I buy a kit for $10,000 I would first pay for import say about $1,500 then on that total $11,500
    I pay 10% customs Duty $1,150 total $12,650
    Then on that figure I have to pay another 10% GST $1,265 total $13,915
    Then quarantine fees need to be payed $???
    THATS ABOUT 40% TOTAL ON TOP OF THE KIT
    I'm so happy Australia is part of the FREE TRADE agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by sickpuppy
    In Australia if I import a kit I first have to apply for permission to import from the department of infrastructure for a VIA (valid Importation assessment) witch you must have before you import to obtain road rego Allmost anything can come in BUT engineers certificates must be obtained for all structural components eg: Chassis suspension plus brakes etc etc.
    And as for our costs for importing If say I buy a kit for $10,000 I would first pay for import say about $1,500 then on that total $11,500
    I pay 10% customs Duty $1,150 total $12,650
    Then on that figure I have to pay another 10% GST $1,265 total $13,915
    Then quarantine fees need to be payed $???
    THATS ABOUT 40% TOTAL ON TOP OF THE KIT
    I'm so happy Australia is part of the FREE TRADE agreement.
    I Love FREE TRADE the problem is I just can not afford it !!!

I've done a bit of digging and searching, but i can't find an complete answer and this seems like the logical place to ask.

What about the inverse of this situation.

How easy / costly is it to import a kit from the USA to the UK?
    What are the hidden problems?
    Does a broker sort everything out for you? (i.e. including delivery to the doorstep?)

Any help or advise would be appreciated as I'm doing a lot of pondering atm