Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: difficulties to import a kit?

difficulties to import a kit?

hey guys i was thinking about trying to get a dna kit imported and i was wondering what process you would have to go through to get it in and is it costly?

thanks for the help,
    Drew

Re: difficulties to import a kit?

http://www.madmechanics.com/general-...porting-a-kit/

Also, Drew if you need help I am more than willing to give you advice.
    I'm not willing to import it for you though as I don't want to get into 'supply' for tax and other reasons which I can PM you about.

If you are really serious, I can help you as I have all the forms you need for a DNA kit and know the correct boxes to tick.

To import depends on the price of the kit you import (It's between 1 and 3% tax) and then customs clearance and shipping agent fee. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't add up to much. I can look up what I paid if that's any help.

thanks munkeyking ;D

would you have to do the same for a dave jones kit?

I don't think it would be any different as long as your only importing a kit and not a completed car.

Really, once you understand the process it's not difficult at all. In fact it's so easy, an English Engineer can do it! (That's me by the way Admin )

A completed car runs into a world of different issues such as is it EPA compliant? Do the bumpers pass the pedestrian crash test? Are the lights compliant with US regulations? Are the door handles? Is the theft security to US standards? It's not impossible but...

I can help you bring a kit in but I'm a bit (ok very) out of my depth for a finished kit car!

I can't say what the actual shipping will cost you (in the region of $1100 for mine) but the other costs break down a little something like this...

If the kit you're bringing into the country is covered by the requirements of the DOT then you will have to pay 2-3% of whatever you paid for that part.

If your parts are not covered by the DOT (Which I would suggest they aren't as you will have to prove conformance to the laws such as bumper requirements for pedestrian safety etc) it will cost you 1% of the cost of the part / parts.

If you bring say a DNA into the country AS A KIT then it is possible to identify the parts as not DOT ready so you will pay 1% of whatever you paid for the kit. So if you buy a $1000 dollar kit, you will have to pay $10 in importation tax. If the kit is $10,000 dollars you pay $100 dollars (if you get the idea )

There are other costs you need to allow for. The next is bond money to bring your kit in. This is a mighty $5.50 per $1000 dollars value of whatever you're bringing in. So again if your kit costs $10,000 then you will pay $55 as a bond.
    Note: there is a minimum bond cost of $55 so if the kit was only $1000 bucks you would still be hit with a $55 bond charge.

Finally (yes there's more) it is best to ask your shipper to act as a broker for you (as I'm guessing you have no importation license of your own!) The price of this can vary but the one that DNA uses charged me $105 and for that amount I was happy for them to deal with the Feds for me!

Oh and there's the $20 to give the driver of the truck who drops the crate off at your house - they are really nice guys and think they deserve it

Seriously though, to bring a $10,000 kit into the country its going to cost you $100 tax + $55 bond + $105 agent fees and the actual shipping cost. A $20,000 kit - $200 tax + $110 bond + 105 shipping agent fee.

Hope this helps everyone who's thinking of bringing something in. When you get to the 'its shipping - what do I do now' give me a pm and I will send the documentation to you and suggest which boxes to tick!

Great tips, thanks for sharing them ;D

The kit is worth a costly to bear. Better to get some other to alternate it. It's difficult to import it.
    -----------------
    Jack Steven

Thanks a lot for this thread. This is really very helpful. Now I learned the hassles of importing a kit.

Quote Originally Posted by jelpspeed
    Great tips, thanks for sharing them ;D
    Yeah' what he said... I believe everyone has this qtn loitering around the back of our heads.