Thread: Monkeyking where are you?

Monkeyking where are you?

Ok Monkeyking I am interested in planning a purchase from across the pond. I would like to pick your brain about the process. If I recall correctly you acquired a 360 and that is what I would like to have so I maybe able to just use the same manufacturer and process.

Thanx

Jack

Re: Monkeyking where are you?

I'm more than willing to help anyone bring a kit over.
    DNA were a dream to deal with and after a few sweaty palm moments, the kit came over in one piece (if you know what I mean... )
    Since then I've given someone else some help bringing theirs over and this time (as we knew what we were doing...) no sweaty palms!
    I'm located in MN but the other person had their kit shipped to the sunny west coast.
    I don't want to bring kits in for anyone but am more than willing to help anyone bring a kit in, give them the documents and tell them which boxes to tick and what to say and more importantly what not to say!

If you want to PM me, I will pick it up on my work PC and send you all the info re costs and importation taxes (these range from 1-3% of the purchase price depending on what the parts are) You also have to factor in shipping agent costs (the person you give the forms to and represents you to the customs) and an importation or bond cost. All in all it's not very much compared to the price of a British kit paid for in pounds!

I've also given all the info to DNA along with a 'say this, don't say that' cheat sheet. Everything is correct though and no falsification is required.

Oh and the reason I don't want to bring kits in for anyone else is they require a copy of your social security number so they know who is importing what and my taxes are complicated enough

Munky Did you finish your garage? Have you started your Build?

Quote Originally Posted by PiMPaLiCiouS
    Munky Did you finish your garage? Have you started your Build?
    He started his build this past weekend. I went over and helped Munky take a few panels off of the Toyota ;D

munkeyking:

Well if you could tell how much money I am looking at to get the kit over here. I can then tell if I should pursue this further. The 360 is my next favorite project. I have to sell off a lot of old molds and projects to be able to afford this. Which I have already started to do. Thanks

Jack

I can't say what the actual shipping will cost you (in the region of $700???) but the other costs break down a little something like this...

If the kit you're bringing into the country is covered by the requirements of the DOT then you will have to pay 2-3% of whatever you paid for that part.

If your parts are not covered by the DOT (Which I would suggest they aren't as you will have to prove conformance to the laws such as bumper requirements for pedestrian safety etc) it will cost you 1% of the cost of the part / parts.

If you bring say a DNA into the country AS A KIT then it is possible to identify the parts as not DOT ready so you will pay 1% of whatever you paid for the kit. So if you buy a $1000 dollar kit, you will have to pay $10 in importation tax. If the kit is $10,000 dollars you pay $100 dollars (if you get the idea )

There are other costs you need to allow for. The next is bond money to bring your kit in. This is a mighty $5.50 per $1000 dollars value of whatever you're bringing in. So again if your kit costs $10,000 then you will pay $55 as a bond.
    Note: there is a minimum bond cost of $55 so if the kit was only $1000 bucks you would still be hit with a $55 bond charge.

Finally (yes there's more) it is best to ask your shipper to act as a broker for you (as I'm guessing you have no importation license of your own!) The price of this can vary but the one that DNA uses charged me $105 and for that amount I was happy for them to deal with the Feds for me!

Oh and there's the $20 to give the driver of the truck who drops the crate off at your house - they are really nice guys and think they deserve it

Seriously though, to bring a $10,000 kit into the country its going to cost you $100 tax + $55 bond + $105 agent fees and the actual shipping cost. A $20,000 kit - $200 tax + $110 bond + 105 shipping agent fee.

Hope this helps everyone who's thinking of bringing something in. When you get to the 'its shipping - what do I do now' give me a pm and I will send the documentation to you and suggest which boxes to tick!