Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finalized Procedure on Importing Kits to Canada

Re: Finalized Procedure on Importing Kits to Canada

Considering the Transport Canada rules and the death of Kit Cars in Canada is there any "kits" or molds still available IN Canada for sale ???
    Contact me by email with pics and prices.
    Thanks in Advance

Does this mean that I can finally import the hawk cars lancia I've wanted for ages, as simply parts minus the fuel system, the brake system, the power train and the suspension system, and the wiring harness, steering system and interior parts left not installed (with the possible exception of the windshield, some trim and the instrument panel)?

Thank you for that link. I am trying to send one of my tube packs to Canada TODAY in fact and that page was very helpful!

Steve Graber
    www.grabercars.com

"Note: Most kit cars do NOT qualify. Therefore, kit cars cannot be manufactured to sell in Canada or imported into Canada."

There were a few builders building and selling Diablo kit cars here in Canada so i don't know where they get that kit cars can not be manufactured? The only real way to get away with this, (I've been told) is all parts must be brought in separate pieces. Just classify it as car parts or race car parts for off road use only. Then some one in Canada has to build it. I remember Transport Canada telling me, have all receipts showing that all the parts including body and chassis was purchased in Canada. They don't seem to want anything coming from the US witch is a crock of you know what! Even if you were to restore an old 55 Chevy a lot of the after market parts would come from the US! As far as registering and insuring it? That I'm not 100% sure on. Building one on a Fiero might be a better way to go. then you can just register it as a Fiero or custom Fiero. On a Tube Chassis I'm not sure how you would register it? I would have to ask Jim Diner that. He built his Diablo's on tube chassis. I did talk to Canadian Customs a few weeks ago on bringing in a tube chassis and all they told me was it would be no problem, just say its auto parts. Bringing in the body might be the hard part... You can call it a race car body or race car body panels but if Customs looks at it and it looks identical to a Lamborghini? They could give you a hard time...

I hope to buy one of MM Murci LP 640 coups some time in the future. I know Jim has brought in quite a few Diablo bodies and chassis with no problems. So I know it can be done.

In the overall scheme of getting kit cars into Canada, the main thing is it needs to come in unassembled and not driveable so essentially, in kit form. You then need to buy all running gear and driveline in Canada etc.

You will not be able to buy a kit car off ebay and get it through customs easily. Modified Fieros are about the only ones that I know of that can come through but as Fieros not whatever they were built into.

I read through the Factory Five site and talked to one of their reps and they said you just can't have a rolling chassis with driveline etc. The body can be attached to the frame but it can't be roadworthy when it goes through customs.

I highly recommend going to FF5 site and reading as well as talking to one of their reps to get the low down.

You can certainly get body shells through and chassis across just not all together.

I was lucky as all get out with my custom frame as the customs guy could not figure out the paperwork to make mine race only so he just called it a heavily modifid Fiero. It will be easier to get it on the road when done that way as I still have the buill of sale and registration from Oregon.

No easy answer but with some digging and research, it is possible.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I'm not sure about the bill of sale and registration from Oregon? Does that mean the bill of sale has to show the car came from Canada and not the US? Because the body will have to come from the US. No one as far as I know is even building an LP 640 replica in Canada, let alone as great detail as MM's cars. Can the chassis have all the suspension and brakes and all that on it? Just no tranny or motor? The G 50 can be brought in by it self. The motor will come from Canada. Or if any one in Canada has a G 50 for sale I could look into that. It would be nice to get as much done as possible on the body and chassis so there wont be as much work to do when it gets to Canada.

Hi
    I'm looking for some help on importing a kit car from the US to Canada, wondered if you could share any thoughts. I've read through this thread which was helpful although the link in the first thread is now dead. I've also done research on RIV and the MTO already but sometimes it's tricking applying the regulations to a specific situation.

I've seen a kit car for sale in the US. It was originally built in the UK and shipped to the US around 2002 or 2003 I think, I don't know all the details on that importation though. The kit was built in 2001, on a 1976 donor car (single donor). The title and registration in the US still show it as a '76 Reliant. It's complete and running.

I know Canada won't import a kit car less than 15 years old, but what determines that age? If the title and reg show a '76 car, would it be taken as a '76 car? This isn't a replica kit looking like a '76, I get the idea that it can't be registered if it simply looks like an older car. But this has the '76 chassis, engine, dash, seats, etc and could be considered a rebody of a '76 car.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide
    Jon

Hey Jon , I'd suggest you phone Transport Canada and tell them what you want to do and the year of the car , probably if you mention
    it is a kit they will instantly say no , maybe say it is a modified reliant with a body kit . If they tell you you can bring it in , get their name and the proper paperwork needed. Now you should phone customs , again to verify the information , and again if they say yes get a badge number and the proper paperwork. Otherwise you will be refused entry . Good luck

Thanks dhart, I like the suggestion of it being modified with a body kit rather than a kit car. I appreciate your time.
    Jon

I'll tell you right now what Transport Canada will say when you tell them your brining in a modified reliant with a body kit or any modified or custom car... I phoned up TC and told them I wanted to bring in a race car for off road use only. Can not be made to drive on the street. The agent at TC asked me, will this car have a working transmission or head lights or bumpers? or any mechanical moving parts? Because if it does that could mean it can be made to drive on the street. In short, you can tell them anything you want, but if they know it can be made to drive on the street, they wont let it in. The only thing they will allow is just a bare tube chassis with a catch net and a racing harness then they wont even question it. They will just think its a race car that can't be made street driven. If it has a VIN NO they will not let it in. Bottom line is, NO kit car in ANY shape or forum can be brought into Canada. 15 years old or older doesn't mater. kit cars and Hot Rods follow under a different rule in the Traspertation act. You may be able to fool customs and get it across but even then when you go to register it, I believe even then you have to prove the whole car came from Canada and was built in Canada and have all your receipts to prove it.

Here's a true story I heard on CJOB. Some guy went down to Houston TX to get a half ton pick up truck Limo built for him. This was a one of a kind Limo that no one else was building. This guy paid over $300K to get this special limo built. Some jerk in commerce out in Ottawa said, the only way they will let that car into Canada was, the owner had to put this Limo through a crash and burn test. In other words, they wanted to crash this car and set it on fire and if it passed the crash and burn test, the car would be safe enough to drive in Canada... When I heard this I said to my self, this has to be the dumbest country I've ever lived in...