Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finalized Procedure on Importing Kits to Canada

Re: Finalized Procedure on Importing Kits to Canada

This isn't a race-car at all. I think all the US paperwork it currently has says it's a '76 Reliant and it is registered for street use right now. Is it really the case that MTO will make a second assessment of the car at registration, that it's not just 'getting across the border'? The MTO just go on the paperwork, don't they? Insurance, bill of sale, plate ownership, safety, customs clearance, whatever - pay the bill and off you go...

I'll ask some more questions of the current owner and then start making some calls of RIV and TC. I can't get to see the car until early next year so it might be a few months yet.

Thanks
    Jon

The resin I told TC this was going to be a race cor for off orad use only was to try and fool them. This WAS going to be a Lambo kit. TC knows guys try and use the off road use or its not a kit car but somethig else. My best advice is, call TC and even Canada Customs and ask them all the questions you need to ask. Guys have brought in kit card from the US... But its very risky. Look up Jim Diner also, do a google search or even on here. He's a good guy to talk to about this. He use to build Diablo's kit cars in Toronto at one time.

Its pretty straight forward and if you think you got around the rules at any time it can be siezed and destroyed even years later. Thats the risk you take.
    The Rule is ...
    If you want to import a kit car or a reproduction vehicle that can be driven, you must provide proof that it meets all passenger car class CMVSS before importing it. There is no difference, under the Act, between assembled and disassembled vehicles. Note: Most kit cars do NOT qualify. Therefore, kit cars cannot be manufactured to sell in Canada or imported into Canada.

Yep same goes for Hot Rods as well... you can go to Barret Jackson and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a custom Hot Rod and they wont let it into Canada... If a real Lambo or Viper doesn't meet the under 15 years or older policy, they wont even let in a real car into Canada. Its just stupid IMHO... They will let in a new car though. I think its from 2000 to 2009? Or something like that. I know when I talked to TC about a 95 Diablo they said no way.... its newer then 15 years old. If its a 91 they wont even question it. Then you can bring it in. That's why I'm buying mine in Canada... No hassle with the border or TC!

Why do we pay these guys' wages?? They do nothing to justify their jobs: "We are keeping the highways safe!" What crap. A friend bought a 76 Omni in the US, brought it to the border, they rejected it, "doesn't conform to Canadian Standards" In what way? "The US model has its shoulder harness mount 1 1/2" higher than the Canadian model. It stays in the US."

These jerks have destroyed the kit industry in Canada with their paranoid rules. I took this to my MP, and TC told him to shut up and sit down, they were saving lives! And they believe it, too...

These jerks have destroyed the kit industry in Canada with their paranoid rules. I took this to my MP, and TC told him to shut up and sit down, they were saving lives! And they believe it, too...
    If you look at the history of the car industry in Ontario this dept. is setup as a "Liberal" patronage department ordered to protect the car manufacturing plants in Ontario at all cost and supported by the "NDP" unions. Their mafia moto: "NDP Built" or KILL IT

Well, I guess that is an answer, but it doesn't make sense here in BC. The only progress I have made with TC was with NDPers as my elected representatives. The Conservatives and Liberals didn't even answer my letters.

No, TC is running its own little empire, and hide behind "public safety" as their justification. They see "innovation" as a 4-letter word, and work very hard to stifle any modification or project that moves very far from a beige Chevrolet 4-door. The other thing they are guilty of is not daring to think for themselves: if the US bans convertibles, Canada is right behind, banning convertibles. I suppose they see them as tools of the devil. Sure, they have their own regulations, where they double the cost of vehicle certification by running their own tests to come up with BS stuff like the aforementioned harness anchor, but improving public safety? Gee, I don't think so.

After spending some years in the handicap transport industry, I know how much fear these guys have when it comes to innovation. If one builds a system in Canada (particularly BC!), it is automatically rejected: such systems are to be built in the US, better if it is built in California. Anything built outside of Ontario, or anything that is not an exact copy of a US product, is summarily deemed unsafe. So what chance do we have as kit car builders?

have it built in canada if you want to avoid rejection at the boarder. But each boarder crossing is different, sometimes you get the hard ass that will do every thing in their power to not let you across, and some will just wave you through.

Did you try that, prototype2? It isn't Customs that holds the power here, it is Transport Canada. Sure, you can get into the country, pay the taxes, but then you are faced with registration, and that is where the fun starts. If you are lucky enough to live where the Motor Vehicles Department is loose enough to register it, then you are away. BC is fairly good, but it depends on the individual inspector and his attitude towards performance vehicles. I know a guy whose Cobra replica took 3 years to get through the registration process, at a cost of many, many dollars...

I've been driving sense I was 17. I'm 37 years old now and the only kit cars I've ever seen on the road ANY WHERE were Cobra kits or the odd Ferrari 308 replicas. I see hot rods galore... Ever wonder why you never see any other replicas on the road? I have also traveled all over the US as well... Same thing, most exotic cars I see are Corvettes, Porsche, the odd Hot Rods, the odd Vipers, the odd odd time Prowlers and even Chevy SSR's. But never replicas... Hell I've even seen at least four Lamborghini Gallardo's ripping around in Canada and the US in the last four years. Something about kit cars, people build hot rods but no one out there really builds replicas or you would see a whole lot more of them. Maybe places like California or Florida you might see more of em... But I've been pretty much all over North America and I've never seen a Lambo replica any place. Just the odd Ferrari or Cobra...