Thread: 3%

3%

People keep talking about the 3% of people who build kit cars are the only ones who finish. I do NOT believe that skill or money play a big role in this. Every day i see someone who has waited 1month+ for a part, or got ripped off multiple times for thousands. Im sick of it! I do not excuse this at all. People let it slide because they know that person is there only hope. So i am starting a feed back station here so show how well people are doing! Example below. If you buy something pm me the info and ill post feedback here with a total! And be honest. 1-10 scale

Seller- Scooby Doo
    Product- 10
    Time- 5
    communication-5

I believe this might help keep some people on there feet! Lmk what you think. if people say its a good idea ill start a feedback thread

Re: 3%

Hey Green, Skill has sooo much to do with a build! You can throw money at anything. Most guys that start these projects truly believe they can build a lambo replica for 30-35k, you can NOT build a lambo replica for anywhere near that amount, guys start and find out VERY fast that they are in over their heads and the things end up on ebay or sitting in the back yard or wherever.

The replica business can be very cut throat, you have to know who to deal with and who to stay away from, there are a some honest builders out there, but there are also a bunch of scumbags that will take your money and run.

So maybe over the last few years a lot more cars have been finished. Lets say 4.5% of replicas get finished??

In the end you just have to be careful and pay attention to who's out there, I have been hanging around these forums for almost four years now and have seen alot of guys come and go.

On the other hand the builders get very frustrated dealing with owners too! they all want something for little or nothing. It takes from what I understand about two thousand man hours to fininsh a car, I learned this from Ron Dolling in Canada, he builds a pretty nice replica, all fiero based. He refuses to build on a replica chassis. He has documented about six-seven lambo builds and knows what it takes to do it right.

These things cost time and money, and most have much more time than money

RUNDLC

I agree... There are many people who dream about having a replica but have not done their homework and/or do not have the funds to get it completed.

When I was at the Knotts Replica show over the last few years I spoke to builders and they all pretty much said..."so many people tell them or call them saying I want you to build one for me... but MOST never come up with the cash.... Cash is king. Step up to the plate...

Case in point: Where my car is there is an old style Murci kit that has been there for a long time and is far from being completed because the guy does not have the $$ to finish it...

Skill does have a ton to do with starting AND completing a build... That is why after doing almost a few years of research I decided to hire the best Builder that I could find and have him do it for me. BEFORE I did so I made sure I had the $$ in hand for the agreed upon amount.

Make sure you know what your are doing or that the person doing the build knows what he is doing before you part with your hard earned $$$.

One thing I do know for sure is there will be two of the finest LP640 replica's at next years show that will blow everyone away ... and they will be completed. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Elexceed RS
    Think problem is people go out and buy a Ferrari or Lamboghini Replica and struggle to build it because they have never build a kit car in their life and do not have the skills to do it.

I do not understand why these people do not go out first and buy a easy kit and work from there up. There are a lot of simple kits on the market for the novice to learn on and fine tune his skills, why they always need to jump in the deep end and never complete their project is beyond me.

Having the money means nothing, it is the skills that matter in this hobby, oh and a understanding wife and the time to build your dream car.
    I think that is why cobras are so popular. A guy with average fabrication, and body skills can successfully build one. The same guy would struggle to build a diablo. I own a shop with 2 to 9 employees (based on work load), and I can tell you building a diablo is not easy. We have built various things over the years but for comparison I would say we can built between 3 and 4 cobras (maybe even 4-5) for the manpower to build a lambo.

It takes a lot of skill and time to build any car. Cobra's are down to a science but they do require a lot of money to do them correctly. I think most of the kits that do not get completed are due to those three factors. First Money, Second Talent, Third Time.

Just my 3% worth.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

3%

The main problem is the seller of any kit wants you to believe its easy. Even the AD355 takes a LOT of time and money so I've learned. BUT compare that to those horrible F355 kits (one with the front all out of wack, dont remember the name, maybe IFG clone?) People see 7500 and say hey I have that to blow, but then it comes to the emblems, lights, fab work and it just stops there. I hate to see it, but the lambo's look even harder, especially with the door fabrication, with the kits you get a fiberglass door, but ummmm arent we forgetting the main structure of the door?! I mean it adds up, I think time over money for doors, and money over the long run in someones life becomes more meaningful, people get married have kids and priorities change. So I would say 4 main factors,

Money, Talent, Time, Priorities

Just my two cents worth.... I look at buying stock with my project car money everyday almost, and who knows.

I agree with the forth one as well. I am having hardwood floors installed in the house this week. Much harder than lambo doors in my opinion, and much more dust from having some tile removed. It is everywhere.

To be honest, I loved building my cars but I think I am over the kit car building phase in my life.

I think I will just purchase my next one, finished.

I like the stock idea as well. Everything is on sale now. Time to make some money, eh!
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.