Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADVICE ON PAINT

ADVICE ON PAINT

Ill be seeing my paint guy in a few weeks to discuss costs etc for my 360 rep. My intentions are painting the car in Ford Diamond White which is a fairly brilliant white with the black Viper type stripes like on my advar.

My question is this, is white a bad colour for a kit car. I dont mean this by the way of re-sale value for a Ferrari rep, but more of like what some say about Black. Black apparantly is notorious for showing up all blemishes, miss allignments, pitting etc etc. So what Im saying is...has white got similar issues??

Im also thinking about applying the high build primer my self. What colour primer for white and any advice on applying the paint and how I should be rubbing it down (what grades, wet or dry or both?? whats the last stage before paint???). Not done this before but wanna give it a go and will be good for me for future builds.

thanks

Re: ADVICE ON PAINT

I'll try to help. Generally the darker the color the less forgiving it is as far as showing blemishes like slightly wavy bodywork, a sandscratch, etc. So black show everything. Light colors mask some these issues. White and light silvers are about the best as far as not magnifying underlying issues. Always use a catalyzed primer like a urethane. I probably go to a lot more trouble than most but I prime, scatter coat with a contrasting color and block 180 grit. Then fix any issues that would not block out. Re-prime, block the repaired areas, re-prime those block with 320 and then wet sand 400-600 grit according to what is going on top.

White is a good color in that it does not show dust, chips, and waves in the bodywork as much as a darker color. You need to use a light primer so that if you get a chip or scratch in the paint, it won't be as noticeable. I don't know blocking a whole car for your first time is such a good idea. With that high build primer, you WILL get orange peel and HAVE to block the whole car. Do you have a large panel to practice on? The reason I ask, if you mess up the painter will charge you even more to fix your mistake. Also, a lot of painters won't warranty a paint job if they do not do it start to finish because a mistake in your application could cause their work to crack and peel. I'm sure the painters you talk to will explain it. If you have the equipment and space to apply the primer, why not do the whole job yourself?

very interesting. I didnt think about later consequences with the painter possibly not being too happy with my work. The last thing I would need is to rub the paint back in a years time and start all over again. Ill speak to my painter and get a seperate quote for prepping, prime and top coats.

cheers

You have received some very good advice here. The undercoat is a very important step for a long lasting paint job. If it is not applied correctly. It will take many hours to correct it. Although like swoodard23 said. If you are thinking about doing the primer yourself. Why not do the whole job. The way I learned how to do paint work was to spend a few days with a auto painter helping him out, read a book on automotive refinishing from NAPA and just jumped in and did it. The first car I ever painted was a 66 Volvo. I did it for a friend of mine who restores them. Since I read that book, he thought I really knew what I was talking about. Little did he know I never painted a car before. Other than some orange peal that was later smoothed out with a buffer. It came out looking great!

is there an ideal tempreture / humidity that my garage should be and what should be my heat source baring in mind I have not got an oven or ventillation. Ill be looking to put up plastic curtains and cover the floor and roof for a clean room.. Also what sort of pressure should my compressor run at to shoot the paint?
    My appologies for being such a noob.

The paint makes the car. This is one of the few places I do not like to skimp. This does not mean you have to spend a fortune though. The secret is the preparation. A fiberglass body panels will take more time to prep than metal in order to come out good.

A very good write up on this subject:
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/090549.html

Quote Originally Posted by XPERT360
    is there an ideal tempreture / humidity that my garage should be and what should be my heat source baring in mind I have not got an oven or ventillation. Ill be looking to put up plastic curtains and cover the floor and roof for a clean room.. Also what sort of pressure should my compressor run at to shoot the paint?
    My appologies for being such a noob.
    In a car of this caliber, you are going to want a urethane paint job. Urethanes dry quickly so you really don't need a heat source, just a pretty day over ~60 degrees. The fumes are also flammable and the isocyanates will harden in your lungs and absorb through skin. So forget the heat source and cover your body/hands/eyes, and use an appropriate respirator. Another consideration is if your garage is attached to your home. You do not want poisonous fumes in your home for you and your family. You will need very good ventilation. A few box fans under a closed garage door help. You will definitely want a low pressure gun to minimize overspray. It can get so thick you can barely see if you are not in a well ventilated area. Overspray can also mess with your paint job if dry particles fall on the fresh paint. You will need a fairly large compressor that can deliver a minimum of about 9cfm at 50psi. But you will have to look at the gun you are using for specific requirements. The last requirement is lots and lots of light! If you can't see where you missed or when you are getting runs, you will be very disappointed in the finished product. Just remember, safety first and watch out for your pets too.

seen my painter last night. Showed him some pics and he will prep, prime and spray the car (non cellulose. using 2pk) for 500 cash. I couldnt beleive it.
    When I walked in, he had an old 911, a lotus Esprit, a willis coupe' from the U.S., a ferrari 308 all being restored. It was like a little toy shop.

Going into paint in 6-8 weeks. He is aslo using a vinyl graphix guy who will do the Novitec viper stripes in satin black too in one hit. lots of hard work to do before then tho'. >

that seams too cheap to me, 1500 would be about right. get it in writing from him what hes going to do i think