Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive complete kits?

Inexpensive complete kits?

Hey,
    This is perhaps a question you've heard a million times before, but here goes.

I want to build a kit car. It's been a dream of mine for a long time. I've got a good amount of experience in the machine shop, as well as building all sorts of other random things; r/c cars, r/c airplanes, amateur rockets (the last one I built was 14' tall), etc.

I want eventually to build a kit airplane (vansaircraft.com), but I'd like to first build a car to develop some experience and see if the process is really right for me. Before you ask, no, I'm not trying to do this for a cheap way to own a car, I already have a perfectly fine car; I want to do it because I think I'll enjoy the process.

That said, can anyone recommend an inexpensive kit car that has all or almost all of the parts required? I've looked at a few different places referred by magazines; factoryfive.com, totalperformance.com, etc. I'm looking for the cheapest kit possible which has all or almost all of the parts.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: Inexpensive complete kits?

Look for used; new kits are not worth it the prices have climbed to prices that just do not make sense. I found a complete new 355 kit near me for $3,000.00 but not in the mind set to do another 355. They are out there you just have to wait and be patent, the most I have spent on a fiberglass kit was $6,000.00 and will never do it again it was not worth it.
    I suggest if you can not find a cheap kit start looking around at sights learn to make your own parts and make your own body it is more fun and a lot less money. You can buy a five gallon bucket of tooling resin for 100 bucks and a 34lb roll of matt for 57 bucks for less than 200 dollars you have the fiberglass material. I am finishing up my project at this time and will make a three wheel electric car next I look forward to making my own body for it.
    This is only my suggestion and opinion so any way you go good luck
    www.kikkerbikes.com

You could check Craig's list I found one in my locale fairly cheap. You'd be surprised what you can find on Craig's list! Good luck!
    I wanted to build a 5151, but that will be way down the road. An RV-8 sounds good and I know a couple guys that build them near me.

Hmmmm, interesting. I hadn't thought about looking for used/incomplete kits. I know it's pretty common in kit airplanes, so it makes sense that it'd be common here too, for someone to get into a project and then decide to bail.

I'll have to keep an eye out.

Another random question: I don't really have any experience working on motors/transmissions. I've done the basic maintenance on my car and motorcycle (spark plugs, carb tuning, valve adjustments, etc). How much specialized skill is involved in putting a transmission into a car? Seems like most of these kits sell you a chassis and body at most, and then you supply a donor motor and transmission, right? Is that pretty challenging?

P.S. A 355 is a Ferrari F-355 replica, yes? What is a 5151?

5151= 1/4 scale single seat flyable P-51 Mustang with a Rotax engine. Cruises at 80 MPH with a VNE of 100 MPH

Trannys are pretty straight forward as long as you are keeping them bolted to the original engine and in the original type of car.
    Where it gets challenging is when you try to mate a different engine and different tranny than originally came in that car.
    Mounts in different spots than you need them, different bolt hole pattern on tranny than engine, mounts to far forward or back in the car, etc. not to mention linkage!

But there are combos that lend themselves very well to transplants and there are even adapters for sell that allow you to mix and match to a degree.

try this one on ebay...but if not mistaken, its a G24 kit which is not an accurate kit and doesnt look right (i guess)....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Repli...spagenameZWDVW

or u can try this....its from our own forumer...very accurate. good bargain....and he can assist u while u do your built.....
    comes with some murci oem goodies in package plus a chance to win 100,0000..... ;D LOL
    http://www.madmechanics.com/the-mall...rior-for-sale/

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FF355spider
    Look for used; new kits are not worth it the prices have climbed to prices that just do not make sense. I found a complete new 355 kit near me for $3,000.00 but not in the mind set to do another 355. They are out there you just have to wait and be patent, the most I have spent on a fiberglass kit was $6,000.00 and will never do it again it was not worth it.
    I suggest if you can not find a cheap kit start looking around at sights learn to make your own parts and make your own body it is more fun and a lot less money. You can buy a five gallon bucket of tooling resin for 100 bucks and a 34lb roll of mat for 57 bucks for less than 200 dollars you have the fiberglass material. I am finishing up my project at this time and will make a three wheel electric car next I look forward to making my own body for it.
    Tooling Gel Coat- $120.00
    Cup Gun- $100
    Catalyst -$25
    Brushes- $20 and up
    Rollers- $25
    Acetone- $50 and up
    Gloves- $20
    Material for flanges-$???
    PVA-$30 and up
    Good ventilation system- $?????
    Garage you don't mind ruining- $??????
    Theres a little more than $200 that goes into it and this is just the mold making process. Think about all the material for making the buck, and the process for design. I don't mind paying $6000 for a good kit thats engineered to fit the donor. My time is my most precious commodity, and you can waste a lot of time with crappy kits. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by SK
    Quote Originally Posted by FF355spider
    I suggest if you can not find a cheap kit start looking around at sights learn to make your own parts and make your own body it is more fun and a lot less money. You can buy a five gallon bucket of tooling resin for 100 bucks and a 34lb roll of mat for 57 bucks for less than 200 dollars you have the fiberglass material. I am finishing up my project at this time and will make a three wheel electric car next I look forward to making my own body for it.
    Tooling Gel Coat- $120.00
    Cup Gun- $100
    Catalyst -$25
    Brushes- $20 and up
    Rollers- $25
    Acetone- $50 and up
    Gloves- $20
    Material for flanges-$???
    PVA-$30 and up
    Good ventilation system- $?????
    Garage you don't mind ruining- $??????
    Theres a little more than $200 that goes into it and this is just the mold making process. Think about all the material for making the buck, and the process for design. I don't mind paying $6000 for a good kit thats engineered to fit the donor. My time is my most precious commodity, and you can waste a lot of time with crappy kits. ;D
    mmm have you made parts? I have. I have never ruined my Garage. I have good ventilation also it is called open the garage door. There are many ways to make the buck and if you are into green try going to construction sights and places that will let you haul off their waste wood or other materials. I say use your mind and be inventive there are many ways to save money. I do not think of my time like you, it is my free time and I am doing what I enjoy so it calms me to work on my project. Money is harder for me to throw away like you are able to do. If you have a lot of money to loose then pay more for a kit than they are worth and see how fast you realize you have wasted your money.
    www.kikkerbikes.com

We appreciate your insights on salvaging, and I was simply pointing out to the guy who asked the question in the first place that there is more involved than $200 in resin/mat . I have plenty of experience in this industry but I'm not here to impress you.

yah...i agree...
    time is free....
    but $$$ cant buy time....
    maybe someone out here didnt experience the "running outa time" kinda situation. but i got a friend who just past that...he got hell lots of $$$...
    but too bad...
    before he left, he told me "if i can turn back clock, i'll use my $$$ enjoy my life rather than struggle half dead for nothing"....
    we just cant predict the future.
    BUT! i didnt say USE ALL your $$$....we have to spend wise and enjoy while we can....
    thats depends on individual thoughts... most of us looking for bitter first while sweet in future...but we just don't know what's/how the future look like (or if there's any future?)...touch wood.... ;D

just my 2's...

greenmeansgo's mucie kit is a very good bargain...he bought that kit at 13K but sell at about half of his buying price....thats not all...he told me he'll include alot of oem lambo goodies for serious buyers....some is rare parts which we don't see on ebay everyday...

good luck...