Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concept car inspired kit

Concept car inspired kit

I'm planning a brand new kit/body conversion based on a well-known concept car but i want to get some opinions. I will not be releasing the name of the actual car i have been inspired by as i am still working on designs but i'll post some pics over the next few weeks..

i do plan on producing a number of kits not just a one-off for my own fun so would people want a spaceframe or a rebody on something like am mr2-spyder or mx5? i'm thinking a rebody would be easier and better for safety etc as i would make the kit fit the donor car without needing any stretching or anything.
    i have hundreds of questions but this is just to see what people think so i can develop my plans, i know people cant really judge without seeing any pics but..

Also what are the laws regarding front windscreen glass? can i use a perspex like material and if not any custom curved glass manufacturers recommended?

based in the uk by the way.

Re: Concept car inspired kit

pics?

dazm,

i think a rebody based on the mx5 would go down well. As you know they are very easy to get hold of and vary in price from very cheap to the later models. The other car to consider is the MGF, but the body seems quite bulky compared to the glass area.

I believe front glass has to be laminated, so perspex is a no no for the front. The only problem with the mx5 is the windscreen is a bit upright, but if you are doing a custom design then you could design around this.

Good luck, and post some sketches when there done !

Cheers
    Nick.

the windscreen would be a wrap around thing and also extend over into the roof so a very complex shape to do with glass and i'm not sure it would even be possible to do with laminated glass! but the windscreen makes the entire car what it is so i cant really compromise to much on it. anyone with knowledge of this industry?

I'm tempted to post pics of the car I am 'inspired' by but i don't want anyone to copy the idea or create any copyright issues until I have created a design which is significantly different enough to classify it as my own design. Anyone know how different it needs to be to stop the lawyers from having any kind of basis to stop production?

As for the donor car I had hoped to use the mr2 spyder because of its handling but if enough people would prefer the mx5 i will work around that..

I'm currently waiting for a kit to be made for a rebody of an mr2 spyder for my own personal use until this project gets underway properly so i hope to use the knowledge gained then and the dimensions of the fully stripped car to see if it would be appropriate.

I did consider the mgf but it seems too bulky and hasnt got such a good reputation as a 'drivers car'

I want the entire car to sit really low so I am also considering a body for a more traditional kit car, caterham kind of thing.. would that be possible if a steel frame was created for the body to fit on to?

Just playing with options at the moment and need lots of opinions before i start seriously working on designing around a base car.

Ferrari Ascari "Concept" has a similar winshield projection. It is doable with clear policarbonate or plexiglass. You have to be carefull will overheating though. Make a mold, lay it in and start warming this up...
    KCB

Re-Body please!

It makes having a kit car that much more easier. Both individual countries' regulations and safety wise.

Nick is right, in the UK the front screen has to be laminated, when I went through SVA they inspected the markings on door glass too...
    Rich
    http://www.ricola.co.uk

right, well that's going to make it a hell of a lot harder! unless anyone knows a company that does custom laminated glass in the uk?
    I've had a few quotes to make it from policarbonate but now that doesn't seem like an option.

does anyone know how much of the chassis strength will be compromised by removing the windscreen and pillars?

the kit will be a re-body, i'm just trying to find the right car to base it on!

as for the ferrari ascari concept, the windscreen is much, much bigger and more complex than that!

no, but it is very similar!

Well, that didn't take long for you to work out! Yeah the inspiration does come from that, with a lot of influence from other concepts cars too!
    it will not in any way be a replica but a unique design, it just may have a resemblance...

so now people know the basic idea for the windscreen/roof/doors, anyone got any suggestions on how to do it? I'd love to keep it as one piece but i think it will be easier and more practical to create separate panels and more 'normal' opening doors..?