Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car wreck today

Car wreck today

i need some advice. i was getting gas today and as i pulled away from the pump no more than 10 feet someone back out of a parking spot and totaled my car. my question is who is at fault. neither of us received a ticket because it was in a parking lot. this was my only car so needless to say im screwed until i can get a rental the police report will not be ready fdor a few days. whats you guys opinion? please let me know...thanks Paul

Re: Car wreck today

The same thing happened to my girlfriend. Someone backed out while she was going down a wrong way in a parking lot. They tried to argue that since she was going down the wrong way in a parking space that the accident would have never happened.

We argued that the person should have looked before backing out.

Her insurance didnt want to pay, (or they only wanted to pay 50% something like that) so Instead of fighting with the insurance company we took her to small claims court and won. The judge said that the person who is backing out was at fault because the person driving by has the right of way. The other party had to pay her $3500 for repairs... She received the check directly from the owner in a few weeks.

If you believe that you are right and if you do not want to fool with the insurance companies or if they refuse to pay immediately file a small court claim and make sure that you have your facts together. (diagrams and any laws regarding right of way)

All the best!

i do have 2 witnesses. i was going the right way so theres not a question about that. he had the nerve to say that within that 10 feet i was traveling at a high rate of speed. that old man is nuts. he just saw that i am younger he probably thinks im in my early 20's but im 31 i have been driving since i was legally since i was 15 and only been in 1 accident that was my fault ive been in 4 total this being my 4th. my car is a 1999 saab 93 turbo i got a great deal on the car so i should get what i gave for it if not more. i have to get a rental so i can make it to work so hopefully he will have to pay for that too. could someone tell me what my car was worth its was in good shape no repairs needed pretty good paint and normal wear and tear on the interior i absolutely loved that car it was great i would drive that car anywhere......... : (

i saw the same thing on a court show, the guy backing out was at fault

for a value, go to edmunds.com or KBB.com use the used car trade in value search for a ballpark figure. Input the accurate info for the car as it was 60 sec.s before impact. It is terrible I know, but you are wasting your time hoping you'll get private seller, or retail values for your car now that it has been totaled. Services rendered lose value extremely quick. So do cars that "used to be" in good condition.
    Sorry for your misfortune,

Jeff

Does the car run and drive? I'd get some estimates before you say it's totalled; you might be surprised how little the repairs are. Try www.car-part.com and see if you can get replacement parts for cheap. Sometimes you can get lucky, and find the same color parts, so you can save the cost to paint.

It's hard to say who's at fault - I'd expect the police to determine that. In my experience, it depends on where you were hit - front bumper or T-boned, and how fast the cars were both moving, determined by the tire marks on the ground, and which car seemed to have pushed the other the furthest.

Be sure and take some pictures of the damage, and the scene if you can.

ok. thanks guys. the car is not drivable. the police did not cite either of us but he did say that it is usually the guy that backs up is at fault. i was hit on the passenger side front. the other party had the nerve to say i was speeding with in 5-10 feet of moving my car.hahaha. impossible. the officer said that the insurance companies will have to fight it out so if i have to go through that then i will just go to civil court with my case since it should be faster thank again guys i am just glad that we both were ok and no on was hurt. but im ticked that the guy said i was taveling at an excessive speed. what a nut job...Paul

File your small court claim as soon as possible, and do not agree to anything and definately do not admit that you were any percentage at fault. Trust me the insurance companies will take months and months to sort it out. If win his insurance company will cut him a check.

Also DO NOT use the trade in value as an estimate, thats ridiculous unless you want the lowest possible value for your car. Look and see how much similiar cars are selling for and be sure to account for mileage and condition of your car. So use the highest values if your car was in great shape, use lower values if your car was in bad shape.

Make sure your car is not repairable every car is repairable, I have totaled several cars and I went on to repair them all. Total is only a number that the insurance companies use. Have somone that knows about cars either come buy and look at it. many times you can go to a junk yard and find the parts and car panels you need to fix it.

well now knowing what my car was worth which i can say is more than i paid for it and after they pay for a rental then i should come away ok. i remember my first wreck i had an '83 saab and i paid 250 for it and they gave me 2100 for it. that was in 1999 so i should get more for this 1 im sure because it was in a lot better shape

I like Saabs (Schlobs)...