Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to fiberglass

how to fiberglass

i have been playing with fiberglass for a couple of months now, i have a couple of questions about hoods, doors & trunks. lets take the door for example, i know how to fiberglass the exterior, how do i do the inside, hinges, locks ?

Re: how to fiberglass

Where you are putting the hinges and locks you need to make that section alot stronger and thicker thn other panels. As most pressure will be placed on these parts. If you can make a frame for inside your door and attched the firbeglass door to it thats better. A very simple design should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by garbusa
    i have been playing with fiberglass for a couple of months now, i have a couple of questions about hoods, doors & trunks. lets take the door for example, i know how to fiberglass the exterior, how do i do the inside, hinges, locks ?

Here's what I did for the doors on my Countach. First I cut a 1/4in steel plate as my base or attaching point for the hinge and made it 2inchs longer and wider then I needed it to be. Then I drilled out the holes according to the pattern on the hinge for the bolts and used pressed in bolts like the lug nuts on a wheel. I then epoxied this piece in place and let it dry for 48 hours. Then I used weave mat to glass over the entire piece to the under body of the front fender. I did the same thing to the inside of the door where the hing attaches.

I did the same method for my rear deck lid. When it came to my front deck lid/hood I chose to not hing it and went with flush mount keyed hood pin's so I can remove the entire hood if I needed to work on anything in front.

Hope that helps you.

thanks, i got one more question. how do i attached the inside and the outside of the door together ?

Bounding agent

thanks, i got one more question. how do i attached the inside and the outside of the door together ?

did you manage to sort this?

yes, thank you.
    but i'm still having a problem keeping them straight.

Use masking take to put them correct then release each side and bond under it

yes, thank you.
    but i'm still having a problem keeping them straight.

Quote Originally Posted by psn497
    Here's what I did for the doors on my Countach. First I cut a 1/4in steel plate as my base or attaching point for the hinge and made it 2inchs longer and wider then I needed it to be. Then I drilled out the holes according to the pattern on the hinge for the bolts and used pressed in bolts like the lug nuts on a wheel. I then epoxied this piece in place and let it dry for 48 hours. Then I used weave mat to glass over the entire piece to the under body of the front fender. I did the same thing to the inside of the door where the hing attaches.

I did the same method for my rear deck lid. When it came to my front deck lid/hood I chose to not hing it and went with flush mount keyed hood pin's so I can remove the entire hood if I needed to work on anything in front.

Hope that helps you.
    Hi there, do you have pictures of the process?
    thanks in advance

JELP

pics would be great