Thread: WTB Fiero fuel tank

WTB Fiero fuel tank

Just curious if anyone in or near Missouri would have a good fuel tank for an 84 Fiero. My tank is worse off then I thought.
    I am near Columbia, right in the middle of the state.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Rust inside the tank? You might get away with a watered down solution of Muriatic acid. (liquid pool acid) Maybe 50 percent acid and 50 percent water? It's amazing what that can do to eliminate scale and rust.

Be super safe with the rubber gloves, smock, goggles and a good breather. Mix up a quart of water and put a quart of acid in a plastic bucket. Pour it in the tank and swish it around real well. If it's too slow going you can pour more acid in the mix but be careful not to breathe the fumes and don't do it on grass or pavement for obvious reasons. You might have to do it a couple of times for good results.
    You can do the same to the metal lines too but be careful not to get any on the sender.
    It cleans the metal like it's brand new. After pouring the sludge out oil lightly with wd-40 or whatever until your ready to use the tank and then clean it out with a little lacquer thinner.

And as always keep a bucket of fresh water in case there is spillage or you get some on your skin you can rinse it off or water it down real fast as not to cause damage.

Thanks for the response. There is a little rust inside, but the part that worried me the most is the car it came from must have been setting low on the ground and the tank is flattened out on the bottom some. I notice the inside baffle is cracked now too when I removed the float/sending unit. The don't think the baffle is bad enough it that won't work, but figured if I could just start with a nicer tank, I might be better off.

Thanks,
    Kevin

I'd help you out if you were closer, as I have a good 88 to put in mine. And with that said, don't limit yourself to only 84, they all fit, and the 87/88 has more capacity.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks for the thought and the info.

try www.car-part.com you can enter fuel tank in the search criteria, and hopefully find one in a local junkyard. Otherwise, check out Craig's List - you might find someone with a parts car that you could drop one out of. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been giving it a go on Craigslist, and some of the local yards do have a Fiero or two. I was hoping to find a member (here or PFF) that might have on out already and needed it gone so I could help them out at the same time. I will probably go to the yards and see what they have if nothing pops up, but was saving that for later when I might have more time.

Kevin