Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13" Brake Upgrade for 88 Fieros / replicas

13" Brake Upgrade for 88 Fieros / replicas

In the last few months I have developed a lower cost/better fitting 13” brake upgrade for the 88 Fieros (will not fit 84-87).

$640 shipped to the lower 48 for a full kit with drilled/slotted/zinc coated rotors.
    $350 shipped to US and Canada for hardware only (brackets, rings, bolts, parking brake hardware) – rotors purchased locally.
    If you only want of a kit (either front or rear), then the price is 50% of the full kit price.

My goal in developing this kit was a clean sheet approach to find the best fitting rotor for the 88’s that will maximize braking force through increasing the diameter of the rotor while keeping the rest of the brake system stock to ensure proper brake bias and parking brake function. The rotors used for my kit are from a 2007+ model year application and quite common, so this rotor will be available and fairly inexpensive for many years to come.

Some of the key benefits of this kit are:
    • Use of stock calipers, brake hoses and parking brake cables keeps cost to a minimum.
    • Stock brake bias and parking brake function retained.
    • 25% increase in brake rotor diameter for improved visual impact behind 17+” wheels.
    • 29% increase in brake system mechanical advantage due to caliper being further from wheel center.
    • 20% increase in rotor/pad surface area to reduce potential for brake fade.
    • Available in Drilled/Slotted w/Zinc coating to minimize additional weight and improve appearance.
    • No interference issues between the rotor/caliper and the front suspension a-arms.
    • Lowest price of any 13” brake kit on the market today.

The downsides of this kit are:
    • Weight – this kit will add between 5.7 and 6.4lbs per wheel over the stock 88 rotor.
    • Wheel requirement – this kit requires 17+ wheels

The Full Kit consists of the following parts (shipped in 2 boxes):
    • 4 - 13” rotors drilled to the 5x100mm pattern
    • 4 – steel caliper brackets to relocate the stock brake calipers
    • 4 – plastic expandable concentric rings
    • 8 - grade 10.9 M12 bolts
    • 1 – strip of sand paper
    • 1 – aluminum brake cable sleeve extension
    • 1 – steel brake cable end coupler

Inventory:
    As of Jan 19th, I had everything for 24 complete hardware kits in stock. I should always have 5-10 hardware kits in stock at all times.
    Rotors will not be stocked and ordered as payment is received for the brake kit. The rotors have 5-7 day lead time from my suppliers and turn around for drilling and packaging is 1 day.

Payment:
    Payment in full is due at time of order. Your rotors will be ordered the same day and your kit should ship about 7-9 days from time of order. Payment can be via paypal, postal money order, check (shipment delayed for clearance), or cash. If interested in ordering, please PM me for details.

Here are a few pics to show the drastic change in visual impact of this rotor kit.
    Stock rotor setup:

Caliper bracket and concentric ring installed:

New 13" rotor installed:

I may be a new member to this forum, but I have been quite active in the fiero scene over on fiero.nl (pennocks fiero forum) since 2003. Feel free to search over on PFF for my user name to see all the uprages I am working on for the 88 Suspension/Handling/Brakes.
    Last edited by fieroguru; 02-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Here are a couple of pics of the hardware inventory I had on hand in January (few kits sold since then):

I wish I knew about you a few months ago. I spent much more than that on the same setup. They look real nice.

I am def. getting this whole set up. WOW i'm glad I didn't go ahead and get these from someone else a few months ago. You just saved me a great deal of change. I will PM you when I am ready to order.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I wish I knew about you a few months ago. I spent much more than that on the same setup. They look real nice.
    I started work on developing this kit (it isn't a copy, but a new design based on different rotors than the other 13" rotor kits) back in September of 2011 and had the first set out for testing in Dec. Everything was posted on PFF, but I wanted to post over here to start getting the word out. Sorry I missed saving you some $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman3282 View Post
    I am def. getting this whole set up. WOW i'm glad I didn't go ahead and get these from someone else a few months ago. You just saved me a great deal of change. I will PM you when I am ready to order.
    I am ready, whenever you are ready.

Would you mind explaining the piece you made for the em brake? I haven’t attempted to attach mine yet. Is this something I need? I used the WCF brackets to install my calipers. I didn’t attach the EM cables yet because I need to work out the fact that I extended the wheelbase 9 inches and now they are not long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Would you mind explaining the piece you made for the em brake? I haven’t attempted to attach mine yet. Is this something I need? I used the WCF brackets to install my calipers. I didn’t attach the EM cables yet because I need to work out the fact that I extended the wheelbase 9 inches and now they are not long enough.
    With the calipers being moved further out for the larger rotors, the passenger side parking brake cable was a little too short (the DS one was still long enough). So instead of requiring a new parking brake cable, I made a cable sleeve extender and a longer cable coupler that would allow the stock cable to be retained. These parts are unique to my kit.

This picture shows the prototype cable sleeve extender (in steel, the ones in the kit are aluminum) right at the caliper cable bracket:

Since the sleeve extended pulls the inner cable more towards the caliper, the coupler in the cradle crossover needed to be extended as well to allow connection with the other cables.

Nice to see you here too FG
    I forget, do you have a kit for 85-87s? Thanks,
    Mike

Mike, I was working on a kit for the 84-87's, but decided not to continue with it. I am sticking with 88 only upgrades.

To the top - bump!

Most recent install.
    Stock size:

13" Rotor Kit Installed:
    Last edited by fieroguru; 02-28-2012 at 06:07 PM.