Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh my goodness!!! Mirage 355 Spider Kit for sale...

Oh my goodness!!! Mirage 355 Spider Kit for sale...

Guess what folks... as hard as the Mirage kits are to come by, I have just acquired a Mirage F355 Spider Kit from a underfunded and abandoned project. It is brand new out of the molds, not ever touched, sanded, installed, drilled or anything. Just as if it was delivered from the factory.

Sadly, this $9000 kit has sit in a storage locker for a few years and needs a new home.

So, I grabbed it up and decided to offer it here for sale. I'm asking $6000 or best offer. This is the BEST kit on the market on par with the Watson kit and in some ways better and in some ways not. Bottom line is that it is the only OTHER choice and leaps and bounds above IFG cloners.

The panels on both the Watson and the Mirage are separated including the bumpers, tail pane and ROCKERS.

This kit is SO awsome. If I weren't hip deep in THREE Ferrari builds right now, I'd build it myself.

So, $3000 OFF the original price and it's yours. Try and find ANYTHING at this quality level for less. Especially a Mirage!!!

Let me know if your interested. I figured I'd post it here before it goes to Ebay and Kitcars.com

I'll do what I can to get some pics for you all but it's pouring down rain this week... so they'll have to wait for some sunshine

Best,

DKOV -

Edited - spelling

Re:Oh my goodness!!! Mirage 355 Spider Kit for sale...

Hey DKOV,
    Where are you located?
    Steve

Portland, Oregon basically. I'm actually in Vancouver, Washington which is right across the bridge. If shipped, it will go out of Portland though.

DKOV -

Quote Originally Posted by DKOV
    This is the BEST kit on the market on par with the Watson kit and in some ways better and in some ways not.
    Scott,

could you please give me the pros and cons of this kit over the AD's kit.

thanks,
    toms...

edit: just saw your PM and PM you back.

Here is a pic of a Watson car and a Mirage car side-by-side.

As you can see, the differences are very little. These are both coupes obviously and the Spiders have even LESS differences because the rear window area, fenders, decklid and so on are unaltered on the Watson car making it more accurate to the Original and the Mirage.

For many, that Watson back end is hard to get over. Understand though, with the use of the MR2 window, compromises had to be made to get it all to fit and work.

Now, with Spiders, it's a non-issue. They both have the ridged deck area as with the Original and both accept all OEM parts. No differences.

The two biggest issues that divide the Waton and Mirage cars are that the Watson car isn't very thick in it's glass and made some comprimoses in the finish around the rear fender and the mirror meet of the a-pillar. The Mirage is certainly much thicker and stronger than the Watson car and is more correct to the rear fender and a-pillar.

And the other is that the Mirage has lower rocker panels than the Watson that some think makes it look lower than it should. Personally, I think it looks agressive. I believe that the poor impression of the lowered stance is due to the fact that the builders of the past have lowered the car a couple of inches and THEN mounted the body and the center looks as if it's about to scrape.

This is a well balanced Mirage Spider but still lowered a bit more than I would like.

Anyway, that's the first and formost differences between them.

As for Toms specific questions...

does it come with any mounting hardware?
    do i have to cut the front end off and lower the radiator?
    this is for a non-stretch car?
    got any donors car available?

It mounts to the Fiero in very much the same way a Watson car does but it does not have the "bolt together" portions (like bolting the bumper to the fender) as does the Watson. However, the panels all have rolled edges and DO bolt together providing you drill through both panels, use a nun, lock washer and body washers to spread the weight. Super easy. Watson just has the nuts glassed into the panels to make this step easier.

Just ask anyone that has visited me and watched in horror as I ran up one side of my Mirage Kit, danced on the hood and walked down the other. SUPER STRONG. The rest of the mounts like the ends of the fender to the chassis all use the same methods as does Watson.

Here's one such mount...

In addition, I used foam tape in between each panel to eliminate squeaks or rubs of any kind once it's bolted together. Looks really good on my car.

Do you have to cut the front end or lower the radiator?

As with the Watson car, you do have to take the front bumper off and trim away some of the front stays to mount up your new bumper. However, you do not need to modify the Radiator. I did lower it about an inche because I wanted to add a complete cover on my car and hide the radiator from vew. I needed the extra space.

Is this for a non-stretch car?
    Yes. For a stock Fiero Chassis.

Do you have a donor?
    Well I do actually. An 88 Notchback that's been converted to a V6 and another 88 4 cyl. Both in REALLY good shape mechanically and I'm practially giving them away at $1000 and $1500 respectively. (I've got NINE cars right now)

If you have any other questions about the buildup of a Mirage Kit, check my build diary site at http://www.gopc.com/F355/F355x.html
    for more info.

Please don't take anything I'm saying as critisism for the Watson or Mirage Kits. They are both stellar. Everyone has personal preferances and I bought Mirage. I think more people would have if they had been available. I know that Dave Newman had one of the 1st Generation Mirage kits before they cleaned up a few of the measurement issues with the front end but even so, look at his car...

Any other questions, you let me know.

Best,

DKOV -

I forgot to mention that in the very first picture, my Mirage car doesn't have a motor or drivetrane in it... That's why it looks jacked up in the rear some.

DKOV -

okay scott, we need to talk.

A couple of questions to those who know:

a) How much $$ is the Watson kit??

b) is the non-stretch Mirage kit shorter than the real F355 car in overall external dimensions??

Thanks - VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick
    okay scott, we need to talk.
    PM sent

DKOV -

Quote Originally Posted by goyal99
    A couple of questions to those who know:

a) How much $$ is the Watson kit??

b) is the non-stretch Mirage kit shorter than the real F355 car in overall external dimensions??

Thanks - VK
    a - Watson kits sell for about $8000 - $8500.

b - Not overall, but the wheel base is 2.7 inches shorter. The Mirage makes up for it in the nose section and some in the tail. Truth is, the extra 3 inches is in the foot well on the real car so the Mirage hides it very well. Even in Coupe form, the roof line and rear window surround looks REALLY good. The Spider is just that much better.

The width is right too. I put a real F355 panel right on to my Mirage kit. Fits fine. I also have real F355 wheels there and other real parts. Overall, I think it's pretty right on.

Best,

DKOV -