Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MR2 based F355 kit finally added to my site

MR2 based F355 kit finally added to my site

Over the past two weeks I've been working out the kinks with the manufacturer and I finally added the MR2 F355 kit to my site. Check it out:

http://www.welkinmotorsport.com

Re:MR2 based F355 kit finally added to my site

welkin ,i looked at your website ,on the scratchbuilt stuff like enzo and bugatti,for only $10000,how good is the quality of those panels ,how long is the time frame for delivery,are those panels listed the only one available,is the ferrari 550 or 360 coupe available,do you have any references available?

The cars that are listed on the scratch built page are listed because I currently have atleast one 3d model and enough information about the cars to reproduce them. It is possible for me to make other cars, all I need is a 3d model and some general info about the car (i.e. wheelbase, width, height, etc,.). I'm new to the kit car business, so I don't have any refrences,.. everybody has to start somewhere. Since the cars are scratch built, The delivery time is anywhere from 4-6 months. ;o)

Ps, once I get an order for a scratch built car, I will no longer offer scratch builts until I finish the first (I really dont want to overwhelm myself).

i understand welkin,thanks for an honest reply.ive never knew anybody that has built bodies that way,it seems like a big project to me.

I think on your scratch built page you have under priced yourself so much nobody will take you seriously ...10k total? personally I think you could build a male plug of any car with a budget of 10k...but the mold of that plug should cost another 10k...and then to build the first kit another 5-7 k...totals 25-27 k ..Not to be critical and I do wish you ever success on your endeavor ...john

i agree with john,when i first seen it ,i thought whos this guy kidding.i think you would have better luck with a more realistic price,id hate to see you lose your butt,youll spend$3500 on the first set of panels you make after you make your molds,there are people that do it much cheaper but they use the cheapest of everything.a friend of mine spends about $400 just on gelcoat for a kit,and its not a big car he makes

Actually, I got my price from a guy that is doing a scratch build. Brian Falzon from ( http://www.extremeconceptsengineering.com ). He told me the total body cost of his body was about $3,000. Since I'm going to have acuracy in mind, I'm going to use twice as many formers,. which would bring the total to around $4,000. LOL, I was under the impression that my prices were a lil too high. ;o)

I just adjusted my prices (to $20,000). However, If i am able to build it for under $10,000 I will refund the second $10,000, since I originally advertised $10,000. ;o)

I have seen Brian's site before...everything looks very well done ..he looks extremely organizied ,he probably mean't $3500 was the raw material costs in his body build ...remember that you have to take into consideration your labour costs during construction ...unless your business can afford to go unpaid during the process of developing molds ...which is very hard to do .I run The Fiberglass Workshop and I am in the process (almost there) of offering Diablo roadster kits in Canada .Construction of the molds has taken weeks where barely no income was generated for the business other than working on the molds .I am not complaining and actually very excited about having a new product to offer.Just something to consider in your business plan ...john

This is the email Brian sent me:

I never kept accurate track of the cost. I would guess $2000 to $3000.
    here is a rough break down of the cost you would be looking at.

Polyurethan Foam $500
    Masonite/wood $150
    Bondo $200
    Resin $90/ 5 gallon pale (guessing I went through 15 of them so far).
    Rolls of mat $200/ roll (I think I went through two of them and I'm on my third)
    Misc. Acetone, gloves, respirators, gel coat $?

unless your business can afford to go unpaid during the process of developing molds
    Since I'm my fathers caretaker, he pays for everything. There is pretty much zero overhead. That's why I decided to go into this business. I really don't have to worry about making ends meet while I establish a presence in the industry.