Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ultimate 355 frame stretch(puts a v8 longways in the car!!!!)

ultimate 355 frame stretch(puts a v8 longways in the car!!!!)

Hi everybody
    If anyones looking to lose that ugly side ways engine please contact me. Im starting to put my
    new kit on the market for a V-8 to fit straight in the engine well. with an even better frame support whats cool is it also allows more HP and better handling. prices are still being set, but first couple will go cheap!!!!!!. the kit includes all metals and a very user freindly manual. also my 355 kit is the first one with it and she handles better than my 1999 skyline gtr. I you have any questions please reply.the kits vary. KIT A comes with adapter plate and flywheel and all engine mounts. KIT B comes with same as kit a but front engine plate,for belt drivin items.
    Im extremly excited to share this amazing set up with you. and yes we use a chevy 350
    we are currently working on other engine setups. more info in future.

Re: ultimate 355 frame stretch(puts a v8 longways in the car!!!!)

Jlestien_dego: Your idea sounds really great! Can you post pics of this amazing creation?? I along with just about every other person
    on here that has built a F355 is saying the same thing. A longitudily mounted V8 will not fit unless you are leaning on your waterpump.
    So I hate to say it but without some very clear pics to prove what you are saying I don't think you'll be in luck for selling this kit.
    What V8 are you using? What greabox are you using? Is there any adapter plate? What engine cradle? What shift linkage is being used?
    How much of the fire wall is being removed? ect..ect..The F355 only has so much room to work with and fitting a V8 longitudily is ALMOST not possible. If it all works that's great, but you're going to have to prove alot of people wrong on this one. Good luck!

David

EEExotic
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

to last user:
    the kit is a replacement for the cradle and the whole back half of the car.
    now it comes completely set up pre cut. and ready for weld you lose about
    2inches in the cab .we use any tranny out of a 914-911 turbo. yes the g50. my kit includes an adapter plate. well if any one wants a peek at this please send me an e-mail ill be happy to send you pics.

we're not asking for your secrets, we're just asking to see that you have actually done it. Can you post a pic of this new backend attached to the front tub of a fiero, and with the v8 engine installed in the back of it? Or send it to me please, dcox@illicom.net

I agree with David on that. I have spent a year and hundreds of dollars on engine adapters and brackets, measurements and am extremely knowledged when it comes to a longitudinally mounted v8 in a 355.

It can be done with a th-325 4L transmission. Although, there are clearance issues such as oil pan clearance for the axles to go under. Overall height clearance, my setup is over 28" tall from upper intake to bottom of tranny. That leaves my tranny 1.5" off of the ground and the engine still above the deck lid. Exhaust clearance and routing is another issue. I had to switch the headers to the opposite sides so they were facing upwards just to clear the tranny. Not to mention engine/tranny adapter plates, starter, flywheel, torque converter adaptations, and the fact that the tranny weighs more than the engine, so there is a lot of rear weight transfer.

Other transmissions options such as the porsche 914,915, or g50, and the audi 5000s have been used in these style swaps before. Due to the much shorter wheelbase of the 355 they cannot be used. There is only 27" between the fire wall and the rear wheel center on a 3" stretch car and a ford small block is over 30" long. A small block chevy or a cadillac northstar v8 are also over 31.75" long too.

Without cutting 5" vertically into the passenger compartment and hanging the tailstock of the audi 5000s tranny out of the rear bumper(trunk and strut tower removal also required), it will not fit. Just think if your rear fire wall were 5" closer to the front of the car. You could use the fan belt and pulleys as an armrest and the seats would be more farther forward than they can adjust to now.

As a very mechanically inclined person, I would be intregued to see the amount of engineering required, and the components used to accomplish a longitudinally mounted v8 in a f355 body.

Bob
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

my pics are currently of mock ups but im working on posting a page. Im taking pics
    to ad but havent figured out how to put them on forum.please i dont mean to be rude
    but im currently working my hardest to get the kit ready...so please acept my apologies
    for slow reactions

thats true
    but I have a plate that mounts all belt drivin items on the side of the engine.
    and the engine with my kit is only 23 inches long. the adaptor plate is 5/8 's
    and from adapter to axles is 8 inches you do the math. now as for the negitive remarks
    leave them of this forum. your clearance issuses are your problem. sorry that was out of line
    but I understand your concerns and will be posting pics soon. well to sooth every one if
    you have ever seen a pantera it alot like that in almost every way. we designed it with
    the pantera in mind it took me 2 years and alot of pain and head aches but every thing perfect.
    as for it sticking out the back of the car. thats been fixed a company has a side mounted shifter
    so that it loses the ugly shift linkage out the back and yes its a cable.,

Quote Originally Posted by jlestien_dego
    thats true
    but I have a plate that mounts all belt drivin items on the side of the engine.
    and the engine with my kit is only 23 inches long. the adaptor plate is 5/8 's
    and from adapter to axles is 8 inches you do the math. now as for the negitive remarks
    leave them of this forum. your clearance issuses are your problem. sorry that was out of line
    but I understand your concerns and will be posting pics soon. well to sooth every one if
    you have ever seen a pantera it alot like that in almost every way. we designed it with
    the pantera in mind it took me 2 years and alot of pain and head aches but every thing perfect.
    as for it sticking out the back of the car.* thats been fixed a company has a side mounted shifter
    so that it loses the ugly shift linkage out the back and yes its a cable.,

No negative remarks here, I just simply supplied actual measurements that are common knowledge. So if it makes you feel better to say my clearance issues are my problem, they are, I just felt I should share with others so they do not attempt the same setups with similar complications.

I dont doubt for one second that you have had a lot of pain and headaches, because I have been there before too.

I have seen the side driven accesories kit before. It serves no purpose for my ford application, but it is a great idea and serves its purpose in a well designed way for the chevy small block.

It also sounds like you use the cable driven shifter setup currently offered by Renegade Hybrids. That is a smooth setup, yet pricey.

Your 5/8" engine adapter also sounds similar to the setup offered by Kennedy engineering, which solves all issues with the fly wheel and starter, yet again, pricey.

So now that your engine is minus the extra length of the front belt driven accessories, the rear tail stock shifter cable is moved to the side, you do have a much shorter overall length. Still 2" is needed to be removed from the cabin and the axle shafts must be raked forward a bit to center in the rear wheel wells. I know this because if your block is 23" and the axles are 8" behind the bell housing that is still 31" and a 3" stretched 355 is 27" from firewall to center wheel well, 29" with your 2" cabin modification. That still leaves the axle shafts two inches behind wheel center and maybe even 3.5" if you want about 1.5" firewall clearance for heat and noise concerns.

I am not slandering, or doubting you have figured it out. If I see photos so I can examine the layout as well as the structural integrity, I may just be the first to purchase your setup and congradulate you for figuring it out. Also if your "355 kit is the first one with it and she handles better than my 1999 skyline gtr" it sound like you have one completed and driving. You can post pictures by using the "uploading an image" link at the top of the page.

It sounds like you have the right idea for sure, but be sure you have all the bugs worked out before you offer it to others. I say that for your own liability sake. Hope to see progress soon. Keep us posted.

Bob

im sorry
    but I expected all the concerns i just didnt expect them to hit me with
    in a few hours is all well all i can say is pics will be up shortly
    thanx everyone for you concern and you knowledge.
    will be posting pics as soon as i finish scan.

I think we were all over this post so quickly because a longitudinally mounted v8 is desired by all of us and it has been topic of discussion for over a year on this forum. You posted a thread saying you had the setup figured out so we all jumped on it like a pack of wolves on meat ;D.
    You were probably bombarded by several email and questions that you were not expecting so quickly. You have a hot setup being offered and if all goes well you will be a rich man indeed !!