Thread: 355 Gas Lid Door

355 Gas Lid Door

What are you guys doing for a 355 gas Lid door? OEM, aftermarket, ??? any imput is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    355coupe

Re: 355 Gas Lid Door

I used the Fiero one after molding it and I shaped it by putting it in the oven to make it flexible then I curved it to fit the curve of the rear quarter. As you can see it is nearly invisible and works as the stock one if it ever breaks I have a spare one and all I have to do is heat it and bend it then bolt it in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I used the fiero gas filler door and pocket. I trimmed the lip off of the Fiero gas pocket and bonded it in toward the front side of the hole. I then trimmed the top and bottom off of the filler lid so it would fit in the oval shaped opening and using fiberglass and body filler shaped/bonded a new lid over top of the old one. I used some flexible PVC tubing and a 90 degree elbow I had made at a muffler shop to connect the filler neck to the tank inlet. I'll post some pictures later.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Thanks for the imput, I wouldl like to see the photos when you post them.

Thanks
    355coupe

The oven trick works really well. I just used a heat gun on my stock fiero cap and rolled it on the bench right beside the car(makes it easier to check for the correct curve.) Honestly it really isn't a big deal. If you're careful and pay attention not to blister the plastic the whole operation takes no more than twenty minutes to half an hour and you're then ready to bond both pieces(lid and assembly) to your car.

If you're building an AD kit then the Fiero cap won't work even after being bent because the AD kit's gas filler opening is oval shaped like OEM. So you'll need to trim the Fiero cap down and lengthen it if you want to maintain the OEM sized opening. Or you could cut the opening to match the Fiero door.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariFan
    If you're building an AD kit then the Fiero cap won't work even after being bent because the AD kit's gas filler opening is oval shaped like OEM. So you'll need to trim the Fiero cap down and lengthen it if you want to maintain the OEM sized opening.* Or you could cut the opening to match the Fiero door.
    Mine is an AD kit and I used the Fiero cap. see pic in 2ond post.

Did you cut the hole out or did it come that way? There must be two different shaped holes in these kits. The hole in mine was definately the wrong shape to use the stock Fiero fuel door. Your's looks good though. Just goes to show that there are many different ways to complete these kits. Your only limited by your skills and imagination. :P

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariFan
    Did you cut the hole out or did it come that way? There must be two different shaped holes in these kits. The hole in mine was* definately the wrong shape to use the stock Fiero fuel door. Your's looks good though. Just goes to show that there are many different ways to complete these kits. Your only limited by your skills and imagination.* :P*
    You are correct they come made for the Ferrari lid I made mine fit the Fiero housing and cover. I have made a few changes to my AD kit It makes the build longer but I like it better than before.

here are a couple of pics to better illustrate what I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images