Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to price a Lambo

Looking to price a Lambo

Hello all,

I'm finally in the market for a lambo project and I wanted to get some insight from the rest of the community. I would like to get an idea of what is out there, what kind of money I should be looking to spend, and general build time. I understand that there is no such thing as a finished car, especially since we are always finding just one more thing to update/fix. I'm more interested in getting started and planning for the long road.

I don't want to go crazy right away, I would like to work up to being crazy that way my wife won't see it comming .

What has been your experiences (with the Lambo/ferrari projects)?

Re: Looking to price a Lambo

There will be many opinions on this so be ready to weed through them. Here is some of mine, I will likely post some more.

Buy a good body, there are some really poor quality fiberglass shops out there, don't handicap yourself out of the gate with a poor quality body. Decide how authentic you need to be in the areas of molded in bumpers or seperate bumpers, rear tail light bezels, etc.

Next budget and schedule are interelated. Shorter the schedule the more you can expect to spend.

There are a lot of opinions on manufacturers but to be honest, there are pros and cons of every one of them and you need to decide which pros and cons best fits your taste, budget and abilities.

Budget, budget,.....,budget. Too many varables this early to estimate. You have to make some decisions first, tube chassis or stretch, V8/audi(or porsche), stock fiero (not recomended). To give you an idea a tube chassis D&R with SBC/Porsche, built nice, you will likely spend over $60K. If you did a bunch of the work and got a deal on some of the parts you could probably do it for less. Again if you order a $10k crate motor and a built G50 Porsche trans you will have way more than $60k in it.

There are a number of project cars out there but you are also buying someone elses craftmenship, if they have cut corners or done a shotty job, you will have to correct those issues.

Would be interested to know what your experience level is. A Lambo is generally considered the most difficult build by many. But I am planning on it being my second build after the F40. Decide what you want, how much you can spend, how long it will take. I have gotten the impression that many folks bite off more than they can chew with a lambo; take a look at how often unfinished lambos come up on ebay...the good news is you may be able to find a great deal on a unfinshed kit. Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAMBO...spagenameZWDVW

My best advice: Research, research, research.

mike
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

I ran across this unfinished Lamborghini Countach replica for sale on Craigslist for $7500 obo. It's not mine, but I thought someone might be interested. It looks of decent quality in the pictures.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/313289055.html

My experience is minimal at best, but I am a good planner and am hoping to borrow the experience of seasoned veterans to guide me through the build process.

I have located a countach in town but it needs alot of work. So before I get to the deal I'd like to know what is a fair price to offer (for what I can see). Please advise me as to what I should be asking. He has no previous history of the car (bought at auction).

Car info:
    • Non-stretch
      84 Fiero frame
      V6
      Manual
      Stock interior (will take it on as separate project
      Body parts donít quite fit together (I think itís just adjustment issues)
      Needs a lot of finishing & paint

What do you think?

Well, it is most important what you think. Here are some things to consider but not limited to these things. You need to know who the kit is made by and whether you can get the kit specific items you will need now and to maintain in the future. ie, what windshield is used, latches and hinges, lights, etc. Is it a manufacturer that other people have comleted kits that you draw knowledge from. Avoid a kit that no one (or few) has been able to complete (ie. ADL, Cory kit, countless sold but few completed due to the amount of work required) Are you happy with the look of a non-strech countach? 1984 is not considered one of the better Fieros but most items can be upgraded.

If it is good deal and you make an educated decision and it is what YOU want then go for it. Don't buy on gut feel, do some homework.

Just my .02

If I were you, I'd concentrate on the mechanical side of things first, and then worry about cosmetics. Make sure that the car runs well, that the engine and tranny are in good shape. What about the suspension? It's an '84 with a V6? Sounds like a swap was done. What engine is in there? Which tranny? How's the frame? Any rust?

The thing that most amazes me is when people choose a donor car with, like, 200,000 miles on it and then put years of work and thousands upon thousands of dollars into a replica. What do they end up with? A 200,000 mile car with a new body.

If you want some real input, snap a ton of pics and post them here. Let us pick the car apart for you.

As a rule of thumb, I see unfinished replicas of the Countach (unstretched) going for between $8 and $12K on Ebay. If you're in that ballpark, you may be in good shape, depending on what is left to do and the condition of everything.
    Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg

I think you'd be Very pressed to "finish" a lambo kit for less than $30k. Why ? .... because the lambo parts are VERY expensive - glass, door mechanisms, lights, wheels, ...

I think the cheapest lambo kit you could build would be the Mirage X

http://www.euroworksexotics.com/miragex.htm

It fits on a NON- stretched fiero, so quite a bit of hassel could be skipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Corson008

It fits on a NON- stretched fiero, so quite a bit of hassel could be skipped.

Disclaimer:
    I'm NOT a Lambo builder and not interested in building one....However, as a casual observer and exotic car fan I would suggest to AVOID building anything on an incorrect platform/chassis (like a non-stretched Fiero chassis)....Spend a little bit more money up front but build it RIGHT!

At the end of the day, you will be happier looking at a correct replica instead of being the joke of the neighborhood....All the non-stretched Lambo cars look fake, stubby and ridiculous....

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Thanks for the insights guys.

His price was $26cdn but now that Iím really interested he is willing to take "a reasonable offer". He told me the car is driven occasionally and is insured. From what Iíve seen the car needs a lot of detail work. I'll get some pics this weekend and then maybe we can look at this one more closely. Hope to get more info from him as well on what he has done to the car.