Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Viper kit; anyone used this one in Florida?

Dodge Viper kit; anyone used this one in Florida?

Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Re: Dodge Viper kit; anyone used this one in Florida?

It looks interesting, but I think it's from the same guy with the Enzo/Dodge Neon, Gallardo/Stratus, and various other combinations of half finished exotics on wierd donors. A while back I tried contacting the guy, with the same result as others have posted here: no response. Couple that with the fact that noone's seen a completed car, and it seems a bit shady. Everything may be on the up and up, but I'd be sure not to send the guy a dollar unless you have parts in hand!

I have had the chance to email him back and forth a few times recently. He seems like a decent guy. But unless you where in Florida and could go to his shop I would be careful

On another note, this kit is for the first generation Viper. I took a look on Ebay and saw a few real Viper's going for less than $30K:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...QQcmdZViewItem

Between the cost of the kit, donor, interior, paint, etc., it may be cheaper just to buy the real deal.

On the viper kit....... something screwy going on there. There is no roof panel included in the kit and that is not a Corvette roof on the red car. I am assuming it is a real Viper [false advertising]
    I questioned him on this, lets see if he answers!
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Just as I figured - no answer!! Kit sold for $1828

Daleford is correct.

I'm looking for my first Viper now and I have 2 friends with Vipers. 1 93 and 1 96 (that we just did a Roe Supercharger on). 711HP on it's first dyno run with no "real" tuning yet and the 6psi pulley! This thing is a monster!

That photo is a real viper. The roof is a real Viper and so is the Dash. The "Corvette Vipers" are a bit short when completed (if you are familiar with what a real Viper looks like anyway).

Also, to comment on those real viper links above. Be careful with those $30K and below real Vipers. Early Vipers have some head gasket problems and that should be your first question especially if the car you may be looking at has 40K + on it. (by 95 those issues were pretty much resolved). 40-50K on a Viper is a pretty "driven viper". It's much cheaper in the long run to buy a newer or updated / low mileage one. I've seen some nice examples in the $35-40K range with 6K to 13K miles. However, they seem to actually have "hit bottom" and their values now look to be creeping up again as they age.

The extra purchase price is a bargain compared to a complete head gasket job. Not a "horrible job" but if you've never worked on one, the first one is tough and slow going. The supercharger took about 18 very careful hours of checking and re checking (although the Roe info suggests 8 hours for a "first timer"). That must be one quick first-timer...

Good luck with the project. These Viper kits pop up from time to time. I think they look pretty cool and the Vette provides some pretty good performance. A little stubby looking but not bad. However, the Vette roof is all wrong and does "stand out". They look a little "off" with the top up on a ragtop vette but not too bad with it down. I've seen one viper kit in person and thought it was interesting.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Good Viper info.
    That viper kit would look a whole lot better with this approach. Make a Viper style overlay for the Corvette sailpanel area. They could even mount a [dummy] fuel cap up there. I have done this type of mod on an 89 custom Ford Probe to get rid of the ugly wraparound glass they had. Also on a C4 vette to make it look like a C5 Vette. Not hard to do and dramatically changes the look.

The latest model viper convertibles are badazz! One of those kits on an older model vette convt would be trick.
    White Fugazzi Bentley Supersport Convertible GTC

Daleford,

I'd love to see the custom vette sail panel area. That's a great idea. I have thought many times of doing some custom c4 "stuff" like that but never followed through..
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.