Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted... Mirage 355 Coupe.. I guess?

Wanted... Mirage 355 Coupe.. I guess?

Hey everyone! I've never posted on this board before, but I've been reading it for awhile now. I got the idea of building a 355 kit a few weeks ago, and I've been looking at all the sites online and all the "for sale" ads and what not. I don't want to buy a clone body kit of an IFC or anything, and I want a nice good quality body kit. BB sounds somewhat good, except I want that separate rocker panel to look more authentic. As for cutting the frame, I'm not experienced in welding nor do I want to spend anymore, so the Mirage looks like an excellent kit. From reading what DKOV has been saying over and over and over about his kit, I'm really interested in getting one. 8 grand seems like a lot for such a kit though, right? Considering you can get the Diablo body for like, 4100 w/o all the other things... and there isn't much to the 355 except maybe grill, lights, emblems, etc, which shouldn't cost -too- much. Anyone have any tips on getting ahold of a Mirage 355 kit without going overboard?

Re: Wanted... Mirage 355 Coupe.. I guess?

I'm glad you're thinking about a Mirage and I completely understand the issue with the costs. However, compare you own notes and the rest of the "picture" and things are not as bad as they seem.

Diablo and Countach kits are everywhere. Good ones and bad ones. Better kits get better dollars, we all know that. Now, take away every Lambo kit manufacturer and leave one truly great kit... How much would it cost then? Now, take that one Manufacturer and consider they only release one, maybe two, kits per year. Now, how much would they charge?

Consider 355 kits directly. You've already got the picture with the IFG kits. Good kits. You want more, that's all. Choosing a Mirage 355 is, by definition, the best of the best and you'll pay for it. IFG kits can be had for $5000 - $5500. Add to that the cost of the stretch kit, as much as $2500 for some companies, and you're in the kit $7500 - $8000 before you even start.

Looking at a "cheap" kit, you're in it $5000 for the body and $1500 for the stretch and then, when finished, what do you really have? Would you want to be seen in it?

I've seen IFG type kits done up really well. Panels all cut properly, side skirts separated. Domed roof lines flattened. Front deck lid flattened. Then you see the tag line that reads "over $25,000 spent to make the car right".

Myself, and a few others here, have coughed up the money and gone the way of the Mirage. In the end, it's a money SAVER.

What you do with the "extra" stuff, like lights and wheels and stuff, is totally up to you. You could get just as crazy with an IFG kit as you can dressing up a Mirage. That part of the budget is extra

In any case, best of Luck! Enjoy the process!

DKOV -

Thanks DKOV. I agree with you 100% with the Mirage. I guess I'll have to save up some more money. How is the actual body-prep of the Mirage? My whole goal is to get a nice body first, all complete, then work on the other stuff after the fact. How much do you suspect I'll be spending just for the body?

As with any kit, Body prep is critical and time consuming... You want to get it right or that nice glossy paint job will show your lack of attention

Fiberglass prep ont he Mirage is not bad at all. 90% of the thing is pretty clean to begin with. There are the mold seams on the main clip to work out as well as seams ont he front and rear bumper. They flattened out in about 10 minutes with a Orbital Sander.

Once the body is on the car, then you can get down to the detail work and make sure everything is perfect.

What really surprised me so far is how FAST it all went up to the detail stage. The Mirge uses "layers" of panels to hide the mount points of other panels, as on the real car. Makes install a WHOLE LOT easier!!!

Plus the finished project... Gotta love it!!!

Yes, I still have access to some.

DKOV -

As most of you know that i want to get my project started by summer 2003, and by process of elimination ive Officialy concluded going with a 355, now i know i said i wanted a countach,or a diablo, but i want to start off with something less complicated than that, i wish to start aquiring a mirage kit, however here in canada, there are kits here, however compared to the amount procduced and slod, lets just say i'd have a better chance looking in the states rather than up. Im not really looking for a Total package kit like with glass, interior, and lights etc. i can get all that stuff by my self. So if any one sees any thing or selling one, gimme a shout please
    Thx alot

Marcello

If anyone local (I.e. Ontario/Quebec) is interested I'll let my 355 project go for $17,000 Canadian, a $4000 reduction from my previous asking price. Aside from me selling at a loss, this price includes basically everything needed except a top to finish the kit. Lights, wheels, emblems - everything/

Like before Ari,

If i had the money i wouldn't hesitate to buy your project, also i was thinking of doing something from scratch, and i wish to invest money as i go along, i really dont wanna drop a whole watt of cash on a project. By the way, Ari im very interested in how you started your project, like i mean, where did you start looking for one? and how long did it take you to finaly decide?

Marcello

Ari! im from edmonton what kind of kit is your f355??? and how exact is it?

A GOOD RULE OF THUMB WHEN BUYING ANY KIT, OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER, IS "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". YOU HAVE TO FIND THE HAPPY MEDIUM BETWEEN PRICE AND QUALITY. A LOT OF THESE FIBERGLASS COMPANIES OFFER SUCH A LOW PRICE BECAUSE THEY HAVE CRAP FOR MOLDS AND USE CHEAP MATERIALS FOR GLASS WORK. I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE WHOLE "IFG" THING AND WASN'T IMPRESSED AT ALL WITH THE QUALITY OF THEIR GLASS. THE KEY TO GETTING A QUALITY KIT IS TO SEE THEIR WORK FIRST HAND. IF THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE YOUR LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE FORUMS WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN THE GOOD AND BAD. GOOD LUCK FINDING A KIT. ;D

Hi Newbie!
    You can check out all the info about my kit and the time, effort and money I've invested in it at http://www.madmechanics.com/carinfo

Thanks,
    Ari