Thread: is this fiero a good donor car? its very close to me

is this fiero a good donor car? its very close to me

Is the cost to high too, I know nothing of fiero's

http://greenville.craigslist.org/car/343263162.html

Re: is this fiero a good donor car? its very close to me

that all depends what you want the fiero for. If you are looking to just put a kit onto a running fiero then you want to go for one that is in better shape then not. If you are planning on replacing the eng / trans etc then this is alot ot pay for basically a frame and wiring etc. To put things in perspective, I paid 150.00 for a non running fiero that was in good shape other then the engine.

Mainly due to the price, I would say no. $2900 is a LOT to pay for a Fiero with 200K+ miles. I just sold a Fiero with 53K for $2000!

The GT (fastback) body panels are more desirable, thus drive the price up. If you're just stripping the car and doing a rebody, you're basically paying for nothing (although you can sell the fastback clip parts, etc for a few hundred). Look for a notchback, as they will be a LOT cheaper.

I agree that a 'good' donor depends on what you're doing. First and foremost, you want a solid frame. The body panels are all fiberglass, so you can't view the rust damage to the frame without a closer look. Are you replacing the interior, or going stock? If the latter, the interior condition is a valid concern. What are your plans for an engine? keeping stock Fiero, or a swap? If swapping, then the mileage doesn't mean much (except for the transmission which you'll probably keep). Even if you are swapping, I'd suggest finding something that will at least lot drive for you.

As far as the frame goes, the best indicator of the frame condition that I'm aware of is the trunk. Peel back the carpet in the left and right side. The frame rails go right through this section. Look at how much rust is there for a good indicator of frame condition. I had a parts car with rust holes big enough to stick your thumb through, although the car was in great shape on the exterior!

here's a pic I took of the 53K car - they won't all be like this though...
    www.t7g3.com/car/53KFiero/underside/101_2718.JPG

(Sorry for the large file) Note where the spot welds are; that's you're frame. Again, this car was garage kept with only 53K miles. There WILL be rust in almost all Fieros. It's a question of how much. Best wishes.

I'd run fast and run far from that guy. Bad attitude and asking WAY too much. 86 fiero, in general, is not a bad car for a project though. Definitely keep looking ....

thanks guys, I didnt want to buy it from him because of his attitude, like its an exotic classic by the way he acts. I want to buy Don's tube frame so bad, but I'm looking into other options as well because the distance is so far for me to travel to get his tube chassis. I also would have to fab a TON of stuff up on his tube chassis, so as I said I'm looking at different avenues to tackle my project. The rear of whatever I get is going to be tube framed to house the V8 and Porsche transaxle.

This car looks like it would be a good donor:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/356506141.html

The best thing you can do is NOT get too anxious and bite off more than you can chew. The more complicated and / or work in your project, the bigger the chance that it will wear you out and you'll NEVER get it done. I laugh when I see guys post threads about building their own design, designing and building their own body or building from scratch - not that it can't be done but the odds are like a lightening strike that it WILL get done.

Get a good running car to start with so you'll be building on a good base and not distracted by normal maintenance or things not included in your project. Then get as complete a kit as you can afford. Believe me, even a complete kit on a good car is going to be a LOT of work and maybe more than you planned on And for goodness' sake, do as much work by yourself as you can - businesses working on kitcars just plain don't care what they do 'cause they'll blame the builder for everything that goes wrong.