Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4130 Steel Tubing???

4130 Steel Tubing???

I've got an '88 Fiero donor car but I want to build my own tubular chassis. I've been looking at Ron Champion's book and Keith Tanner's book for ideas. It seems the stuff to use is 4130 chromoly tubing. 1x1 square with a .065 wall. My problem is that it seems very hard to get, and the only places I found were online, selling it for $7 - $8 PER FOOT!!! I figure I need about 300 feet. Anybody know of a good source for 4130 Chromoly square tubing??? Or is there a more common alloy that's around the same strength? I'm in northwestern NJ.

Re: 4130 Steel Tubing???

Sorry without diving deep into mechanical engineering and strength of materials, it would be impossible for anyone to re-engineer what you are looking at for another material. You may want to try locating a local supplier of regular mild steel tubing and then ask them to quote you on 4130. My local supplier stocks only the normal stuff but they order for me 4130 and my DOM (drawn over mandrel/seemless) round tubing. Like everything else in life, you are not going to get the good stuff for mild steel pricing. The only non wholesale place I am aware of is "the chassis shop."

I'll check into the chassis shop. If you know of any wholesalers, I'd appreciate the link because I can buy it through work (we buy a lot of metal).

Thanks

Sorry, forgot to give you the link, but I am sure you have searched and found it by now.

http://www.chassisshop.com/

Bart

I did my entire chassis in mild steel...3/4"X3/4"X0.065" wall, 1.5"X3/4"X0.065" wall and 1.5"X1.5"X0.125" wall.
    It is solid as a rock and handles like a dream. Even the control arms are mild steel.

Be very carful welding 4140 ,after it cools the weld is very brittle

4130, also known as "Chrome Moly" (short for chromium molybdenum) is a general purpose steel that has been widely used by the motorsports industries for many years. Weldability, fabrication and mild hardenability make it a popular choice in all forms - tube, bar, sheet, and plate.

Most chassis builders use mild steel because it flexes and will not crack. When I built frames in the past (motorcycles) the chrome moly would need to be heat treated to neutralize the material etc. In my opinion, your best bet is not to use chrome moly and go with mild steel like Jim used.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Bobi1

Keeping the total weight the same, you can double the strength of your chassis with proper tube arrangement, and combining of different types of tubes (square, rectangular, round, different wall thickness, different material) in the necessary places. Thus, the welds won't crack and the tubes won't flex so easy in a car accident.

Bobi

Ouch, $4.56 a foot for bulk 1" square chromoly? I have to say, I personally would take mild steel at <$1 a foot for the same tubing.

Jdinner, how much of each size tubing did you use for the entire chassis?

I agree with jdinner, dave, and tomtom. I use mild steel 99% of the time. The only place I use 4130 is on longer 4 link rear axle set-ups. I use mild steel on "A" arms although I do try to buy DOM instead of welded tubing for higher stress items. Do be careful welding 4130, it should be done by an experienced welder who is familiar with 4130. I use tig with post sheild and sheilding gas inside the tube.

The best place on the east coast to get tubing of any type is dillsburg. They don't have a website, but Charlie Vogelsong is the owner, and if you look up his name and dillsburg and tubing, you'll run accross an address or phone number. If you are in NJ, he shouldn't be more than a two hour drive from you. He's near Carlisle, PA, strangely enough in Dillsburg, PA.