Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking 355/360 replica tail light interest

Checking 355/360 replica tail light interest

I currently sell 308 tail lights and side market lights. I am thinking about making molds and casting replica 355/360 tail lights. Just like my 308 lights they would be exact plug and play replicas of the originals. I would sell them for $399 for the set of four. If the demand is sufficient I can have sets ready for sell within 3-4 weeks.

For those who havent seen what I produce, some pics of the 308 lights can be found here

http://www.madmechanics.com/wanted-a...84541#msg84541

Re: Checking 355/360 replica tail light interest

I would be interested in purchasing a set. However, I would like to ask you a few questions. Please give me a call at 313-505-6788.

Thanks,
    Robert

That's interesting and a pretty good deal. I've seen Eurospares selling these on ebay. Would these be replica or to fit the MR2 or fiero wiring?

I would probably make them fit Fiero fastback plugs but they would be easily adaptable to MR2 or anything else for that matter. I found a place where I can buy the OEM lights for $158 ea. A good deal considering the chances are good they will be destroyed in the mold making process.

What I saw in the photos looks really good but I have several questions:

1. How strong is the plastic you are using? I know some of the tail lights out there crack if you look at them wrong.
    2. How well do they hold up to vibrations due to normal driving?
    3. On the 355 all of the lights have the center white section, do you have it set up so that the white section does not light up when the brake is applied and also so the red does not light up when the reverse lights come on?
    4. Will these have mounting studs like the originals?
    5. How is the heat resistance of the plastic? Some replica and even some original tail lights get this burn/melt mark around the bulb.
    6. Will you offer replacements in the future if one should happen to get broken?
    7. Would you offer me a deal if I supplied you with 1 original tail light? it has a tiny crack that is barely noticeable.

Thanks...

I have two original ones knocking about.. ones got a crack in it and one the lugs snapped off at the back..
    (one indicator, one fog)

Steve
    DNA Owners Club - DNA Kitcar Related Website
    Extreme Owners Club - Extreme Kitcar Related Website

1. How strong is the plastic you are using? I know some of the tail lights out there crack if you look at them wrong. After you asking this I just took one of my 308 lenses that had a mistake in it so that I cannot not sell it and I put on a hard floor and then stood on it and put all of my weight on it with my heal (175lbs). It didnt even give. I picked it up and tried twisting it with my hands to get it to crack and wasnt able. They are VERY strong.
    2. How well do they hold up to vibrations due to normal driving? See last quetion
    3. On the 355 all of the lights have the center white section, do you have it set up so that the white section does not light up when the brake is applied and also so the red does not light up when the reverse lights come on? I can make the clear sections functional as reverse lights. The center section would be separate on the inside housing so that no light would leak from one area to the other. The reverse light would have its own bulb.
    4. Will these have mounting studs like the originals? Yes. I would make the mounting similar to that on my 308 lights.
    5. How is the heat resistance of the plastic? Some replica and even some original tail lights get this burn/melt mark around the bulb. I would say they quite heat resistant. I actually cure the lenses out in a 200 degree oven in the manufacturing process.
    6. Will you offer replacements in the future if one should happen to get broken? Yes. I just have to use the same formula every time so that there is no difference in color from one light to the next.
    7. Would you offer me a deal if I supplied you with 1 original tail light? it has a tiny crack that is barely noticeable. I need a good lense (perfect as possible). If the original has a small crack then every duplicate will have the same defect. The mold making technique I use picks every small detail. Even specs of dust. My first 308 lense mold was ruined because one tiny little hair got on the part before I made the mold. However, small defects in the housing are not as important.

Quote Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL
    I have two original ones knocking about.. ones got a crack in it and one the lugs snapped off at the back..
    (one indicator, one fog)

Steve
    Do you have a pic of the one with the broken lug? The housing is not as important as the condition of the lense.

EVM,

Definitely interested in some 360 lights. Let me ask you this, can you produce Murci lights if you had 1 original light?

Since the lights are not the same on both sides I would have to have them both (left and right). Also keep in mind that 98% of the time the originals are destroyed in the mold making process. I am not sure how much the originals cost but the replicas would be very expensive as well. They would be very complicated to produce. I have looked at lots of pictures of them and have noted that they would consist of at least 7 different molds per light.