Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted 308 / 328 Side Vent / Louvers / Sail Panel Vents

Wanted 308 / 328 Side Vent / Louvers / Sail Panel Vents

Hello All,

Every few months I "shoot out a post" looking for a set of 308 / 328 vents / louvers for the sail panels. I've been trying to make a metal set or have some custom metal made to update my 308 and my original ones are in are great shape so I don't want to hack them up.

If anyone has a set laying around, let me know. Even some minor damage is fine since I'm going to try to carefully cut them apart.

I'm not in a "huge rush" but the V8 is finished and on the cradle with the Getrag and my axles just arrived so with a little luck, I'll have the car moving soon and be ready to install the custom interior and get her back on the road.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Re: Wanted 308 / 328 Side Vent / Louvers / Sail Panel Vents

Quote Originally Posted by kit4me
    Hello All,

Every few months I "shoot out a post" looking for a set of 308 / 328 vents / louvers for the sail panels. I've been trying to make a metal set or have some custom metal made to update my 308 and my original ones are in are great shape so I don't want to hack them up.

If anyone has a set laying around, let me know. Even some minor damage is fine since I'm going to try to carefully cut them apart.

I'm not in a "huge rush" but the V8 is finished and on the cradle with the Getrag and my axles just arrived so with a little luck, I'll have the car moving soon and be ready to install the custom interior and get her back on the road.
    Did you do an Archie kit? I have been kicing it around a little since that particular set up has the bugs worked out. I must be crazy though, the 3800 is running just fine.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Hey Dave,

Hope all is well.

I've done 2 Archie Kits in the past. I feel that the quality of his kit is really second to none. 1 was an auto and one was a manual.

(This current one is a manual as well but it's kind of a "Hybrid").

The only problems I've ever had with the Archie Manual Kit were some starter problems. (going through starter drive gears / shimming quite a bit etc). It may have been just me but there are so many poor quality chevy gear reduction starters out there, it just seems that quite a few people have "issues" with the starters on the manual trans conversions (at least at the time I did mine there were).

I didn't want to go through all of the "drama" with swapping out starters again so all of my current (3rd) swap is an Archie Kit with the exception of a Street Dreams Engine to Tranny adapter plate (which has the pre-drilled starter holes and uses a 80's style Nissan 280ZX gear reduction starter). The starter is used in quite a few applications from the Nissan trucks, 280 Z's etc. I think there is a difference in the flywheel as well if I remember correctly but that may be because I'm using a 1988 1 piece rear main seal block.

I really like the way the Nissan starter aligns into the adapter plate. The bore in the engine plate mates up with the boss on the starter nose and you simply bolt it on. No shimming, no removing or rotating the starter housing / no paperclip adjustment of the drive gear depth etc. The alignment is dead on and the Nissan starters have a great track record for longevity (even the aftermarket ones). The price is comparable with a no-name gear reduction starter as well and like a chevy part, can be bought just about anywhere.

Everything else is "all Archie" and I hope to have it purring along in the next few weeks.

Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Hey Brian, how are you doing?? Glad to hear that your project is coming along...I can't wait to see the finished product....Please post some photos if you have time.

I'm assuming you are looking for a set of MERA 308 (replica) quarter side louvers, right?? Not the "real" Ferrari 308 qt. window vents, right?? It just so happens that the real 308 louvers are SMALLER than the MERA 308 replica qt. louvers plus they have a visible curve and a hole for a key lock.

I was wondering why you want to fabricate your qt. louvers out of metal....It seems like a lot of work to fabricate each louver opening considering that the real Ferrari 308 qt. louvers are PLASTIC! I'm not trying to be critical of your idea - I'm simply just wondering!

There is a member in this forum who's offering MERA-style qt. window louvers made out of fiberglass for $75 (each louver)...I still have his email if you're looking for an xtra louver set unless of course someone else can provide them for free (it's the season of giving after all )

Well enjoy the Holidays with your family and keep us posted on your progress.

Vasilis K.
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Hey Vk,

Hope all is well. The 308 is coming along pretty well. I saw a set of OEM side vents at a swap meet many years ago but as you mentioned, they are a bit smaller than the replica vents and have that slight curve to them..

I'm actually trying to construct a frame and real glass since my car is a GTB so I thought fabrication of a small vent would be a bit easier in metal but I'll most likely end up using fiberglass / plastic. I did do a prototype of a plexiglass side window but may have custom glass made (if I feel the need).

If I would have had the forethought , I would have "adjusted" my design when I had the metal vent material made up for the Hood Vent. They did a really good job on them but they are a bit deep (and thick) for the side vents.

I'll be posting some progress pics as soon as I'm a bit further along. I'm getting ready to cut out the fake hood vents now to install the metal vents. It's getting there.

What have you been up to??

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by kit4me
    Hey Dave,

Hope all is well.

I've done 2 Archie Kits in the past. I feel that the quality of his kit is really second to none. 1 was an auto and one was a manual.

(This current one is a manual as well but it's kind of a "Hybrid").

The only problems I've ever had with the Archie Manual Kit were some starter problems. (going through starter drive gears / shimming quite a bit etc). It may have been just me but there are so many poor quality chevy gear reduction starters out there, it just seems that quite a few people have "issues" with the starters on the manual trans conversions (at least at the time I did mine there were).

I didn't want to go through all of the "drama" with swapping out starters again so all of my current (3rd) swap is an Archie Kit with the exception of a Street Dreams Engine to Tranny adapter plate (which has the pre-drilled starter holes and uses a 80's style Nissan 280ZX gear reduction starter). The starter is used in quite a few applications from the Nissan trucks, 280 Z's etc. I think there is a difference in the flywheel as well if I remember correctly but that may be because I'm using a 1988 1 piece rear main seal block.

I really like the way the Nissan starter aligns into the adapter plate. The bore in the engine plate mates up with the boss on the starter nose and you simply bolt it on. No shimming, no removing or rotating the starter housing / no paperclip adjustment of the drive gear depth etc. The alignment is dead on and the Nissan starters have a great track record for longevity (even the aftermarket ones). The price is comparable with a no-name gear reduction starter as well and like a chevy part, can be bought just about anywhere.

Everything else is "all Archie" and I hope to have it purring along in the next few weeks.
    What Archie build kit do you use? I would just like to pick up some of the pieces if that can be done that way.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I used the Street Dreams engine / Trans Adapter and the Flywheel from them as well.

With the street dreams kit, you can use a "standard" 9-1/8" Fiero / Chevy S-10 etc Pressure Plate / Clutch etc. I've used the Centerforce Dual Friction on my last one and had great results. Many (as I'm sure you'll agree) have been using the Spec III clutches and if I have any issues, I will go with that at some point.

I'm a pretty easy driver and the CF DF clutches have held up well for me so I went with what I was familiar with. (Archie kits use a custom Centerforce DF Clutch designed specific for his kits. He stands behind the CF Clutches and I've had good luck with them. - The Archie Clutch will not work with the street dreams adapter but a standard CF DF clutch will.)

I used the Archie Alternator adapter, Archie Front Engine Mount and Archie Balancer Pulley as well.

I used the Archie Water pump drive on my last swap but on this swap I've decided to try an electric water pump. I've had no problems with the Archie Water Pump Drive. It's a nice setup. (At the time of my last swap, there wasn't much in the way of suitable electric pumps).

The stock Fiero Manual axles are used and I decided to go with the stock rubber trans mounts since I didn't have any issues with them on my last swap. I do also have a set of Poly Bushings should I decide to swap them in at some point.

I also (even though some don't) am using the Archie Engine Torque strut like he suggests.

In addition, I pulled a dogbone from a late 80's grand prix to fabricate a rear dogbone to be used in addition with the stock front dogbone (4cyl Dogbone) which I will fabricate mounts for on the engine to reduce movement a little bit. This will let me "loosen" the engine strut just a bit and allow a slight bit of engine movement through the rubber dogbone (or poly) bushings so the car is not "vibrating" as much.

I've found that with the engine strut very tight and the solid engine mount in front that you get some "harmonics" / vibration in the passenger area so I'm experimenting with some dogbones for a firm mounting but with a little more isolation of the engine and chassis. Again, Just a personal project of mine.

Since the front engine mount is welded to the K-member, some have experienced cracking of the mount since the trans mounts are poly / rubber and the engine mount is welded.

Some will mount the entire assembly solid but my first one was like that and it was way too rough even with rubber cradle mounts. If it was a track car, I may go "solid" all the way but I'm fine with rubber or Poly trans mounts.

So just to recap, I used:

Archie Front Engine Mount
    Archie Alternator and A/C Mount
    Archie Engine Strut
    Archie Balancer / Pulley

Poly Cradle Bushings (or Aluminum if you prefer)
    Stock Fiero Rubber (or Poly if you prefer) trans mounts
    Stock Fiero 4cyl Dogbone and Grand Prix Dogbone (6cyl) - for my particular setup - not required..
    Stock Fiero Axles (for the manual swap anyway)

Street Dreams Engine to Getrag Adapter
    Street Dreams Custom Flywheel
    Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch or Spec III for Fiero or S-10 / or same applications
    Nissan 280Z Stock Gear Reduction Starter (specs on Street Dreams site) - Let me know if you need Part#

Oil Filter relocation kit as suggested by Archie.

** I used a Summit Racing Oil Filter Adapter Kit and a custom Trans-Dapt oil filter adapter / Bypass and a few readily available fittings do do mine and it's a very clean installation. Let me know and I'll get you part numbers.

You'll also need some "off the shelf stuff" like the usual Thermostat housing , hoses etc.

Archie mentions it in his video and I've done it on my last Manual swap regarding the use of a "snubber" to prevent movement of the trans. Not needed but I thought he was going to incorporate this into his later swaps. In my case, I'm fabricating a small mount for a standard traction bar snubber and I'll post pics of that and the Dogbone when I'm done. Again, both not really "necessities".

I'll update the post if I've forgotten anything.

Brian

Brian:

Thanks for outlining what I need and why I need it. I am currently using the poly mounts from West Coast Fiero’s, and external oil filter with dual oil coolers, an Archie type torque strut and a LUK clutch package on my 3800 conversion. Unfortunately I installed the torque strut too late. I twisted the engine while shifting hard and the mounting tabs broke off of the transaxle. I have a bad 3rg gear syncro as well so I thought while I have it out why not have a V8? I am thinking about using a warmed over 350 with a 4 barrel carb and block hugger headers.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hey Dave,

I figured if anyone could do a SBC swap, I'd be you... That's for sure! You've done so much with you car, a SBC should be 1-2-3...

Even though I drive sane, I did'nt want to have any frame "issues" (or at least try to avoid them) which is why I'm experimenting with the 2 dogbones in addition to the engine strut. (couldn't hurt...)

I had so many issues with my headers on the last 2 cars that I've decided against them in this swap. I['m using a 310 cid 305 in this swap that I built for a friends Monte SS about 8 years back and just under 33K miles ago. We used the Lunati 325HP 305 build from Popular Hotrodding and did pretty well. With a slight head shave, compression bump to 9.86:1 a .030 overbore, Lunati cam, lifters, Performer RPM intake, Long tube headers and 1.6 rockers, we dynoed the car at 311HP which wasn't bad for a little 305. When he decided to go big block in the SS, I wanted this engine back (to save me some time). - And you can't beat the price of FREE. But I did do the machine work for free at the time so I guess it payed off.

I actually went with a touch smaller cam so I could use cast iron exhaust manifolds and not have to deal with the leaky headers on this swap and instead went with a set of 2.5" Corvette Rams Horns instead. At the risk of sacrificing a bit of HP, I wanted to keep the engine bay a bit cooler and not have to keep playing around with cracked / rusted headers, collector gaskets, and exhaust leaks on this swap. I'm trying to shoot for something in the 265-280HP range on this one and make it a decent little ride that can be driven pretty well. My last one dynoed at 403HP and I thought it was a little too squirrelly on the street (as well as a hot running car.)

I've got a brand new set of Sanderson CC90's that I can Jet Hot and use if I ever decide to but I think I'll be happy with the cast Iron Rams Horns and a bit quieter exhaust on this one. I've also removed about 6" of depth from the trunk to utilize a Flowmaster 80 Series with 3" inlets and 2.5" outlets all "tucked" under the trunk area pretty neatly.

Although may do not like TBI Fuel Injection, I managed to secure a pristine wiring harness from a 94 LO5 LCI Caprice Cop car along with the TBI unit, intake, distributor and sensors. We recently modified the TBI and it's just about ready. I've got the harness on the table now going through it along with an ECM from a 1991 5 speed K-1500 truck. I'll be installing the engine with the carb to start but then doing a pretty simple F.I. Swap after everything is broken in.

I'll post some pics when I'm getting closer to finishing . Keep up the good work on your car. I look at those threads all the time. When I see that post that you considered selling, I really wanted that car.. Great work.. The best one out there for sure..

Brian

A few More