Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake brake rotors and calpers

Fake brake rotors and calpers

If there is anyone looking to add fake brake rotors and calipers to their project.

I went to Harbor Freight last week and came across a wall clock that I would think could be easily adapted to a fake brake setup. I was very impressed by the detail they gave it. The rotor even has wear marks into the plated casting. I would think you could remove the clock out of the middle and adapt it to your hubs. The fake caliper appears to be separate from the rotor. So you could probably make the rotor turn with the hub and have the caliper stationary with a bracket. Although, I don't know what you would do with all those clocks you removed. Christmas presents maybe!

Just wanted to pass it on.

This is the only photo I could find. It doesn't show up on their web site.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Fake brake rotors and calpers

would be a cheap way to add a fake brake set up, more info here http://www.giftngadget.com/ci50316.html

Here's an idea. Why not get some real brakes for your car! It's crap like this that gives this hobby a bad name. You wonder why so many people cringe when they here the word "kitcar"? It's because there is so much crap out there that is just laughable at best and unsafe at worst. By the time you fabricate the brackets to hold your fake calipers and engineer a way to attach your fake rotors you could have installed corvette brakes or something else that someone has already done their homework on that is functional and looks good. If you're going to do it then do it right or not at all. sheesh! :

Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

I don't know I think ours look OK

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariFan
    Here's an idea. Why not get some real brakes for your car! It's crap like this that gives this hobby a bad name. You wonder why so many people cringe when they here the word "kitcar"? It's because there is so much crap out there that is just laughable at best and unsafe at worst. By the time you fabricate the brackets to hold your fake calipers and engineer a way to attach your fake rotors you could have installed corvette brakes or something else that someone has already done their homework on that is functional and looks good. If you're going to do it then do it right or not at all. sheesh! :

Sometimes it makes sense to use fake discs and calipers, for a start it is cheaper than big brake conversion especially when you dont need to upgrade brakes. Secondly it hides your existing brake setup and the fake rotors are close to the wheel giving a more realistic look.

I was thinking the same thing. The factory fiero brakes are very poor at best and should be upgraded, in my opinion. If it is the cost that bothers you to upgrade your brakes, perhaps you should rethink building a car. Just my opinion here.

Msaby

So, what are you saying? The only correct way is your way? This information was posted to give useful information for the hobbyist. Remember, these are kit cars were talking about. Most are fabricated to resemble exotic production cars anyway. They are already FAKES! Many hobbyists use wheel spacers to push the track out. In my opinion, the brakes (Corvette or not) look a little strange tucked way under the carů.. Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver

So, what are you saying? The only correct way is your way? This information was posted to give useful information for the hobbyist. Remember, these are kit cars were talking about. Most are fabricated to resemble exotic production cars anyway. They are already FAKES! Many hobbyists use wheel spacers to push the track out. In my opinion, the brakes (Corvette or not) look a little strange tucked way under the carů.. Sorry if I hit a nerve.
    There is no difference between a "Kit Car", and any other car on the road. Most Kit Cars are just some other car with a different body than what originally came with it.
    As far as brakes go, they are the most important feature of your car. Fiero brakes are less than sufficient for ANY Kit car.
    I put 13" rotors and 6 piston callipers on my car, and pushed the suspension out the 3" so I would'nt have to use spacers. If you are upgrading your brakes to something larger, I strongly suggest you also extend your suspension, even if its just so that nothing "looks strange" LOL
    Without talent experience is worthless

I didn't even know they made fake brakes.The ones posted by dna enginering look really good.I would put those on my car anytime as they look way better than the stock fiero brakes.The big brake kits can be pricey so the fake ones if a lot cheaper are something to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by MURCI-ME
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver

There is no difference between a "Kit Car", and any other car on the road. Most Kit Cars are just some other car with a different body than what originally came with it.
    As far as brakes go, they are the most important feature of your car. Fiero brakes are less than sufficient for ANY Kit car.
    I put 13" rotors and 6 piston callipers on my car, and pushed the suspension out the 3" so I would'nt have to use spacers. If you are upgrading your brakes to something larger, I strongly suggest you also extend your suspension, even if its just so that nothing "looks strange" LOL
    Thats true but some people building kits do not need to upgrade their brakes if the brakes do the job already, when you put 3 inch spacers on the car the brakes disappear in the background when they should be flush with outer wheel rim and it would nice if we all had the option of extending the suspension but some manufacturers dont provide this. I would need fake rotors to sit in front of the spacer and to hide the smaller brake setup.

But I would choose a 14" big brake conversion over fake if I did not have 3 inch spacers.

The only person who will know they are fake is you.