Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tornado Fuel Saver

Tornado Fuel Saver

I saw this product on an info commercial, it suppose to create a small tornado in your air in take system which can increase fuel economy and create more HP. Has anyone ever tried this thing out are know someone who has one?
    www.tornadofuelsaver.com
    www.xvelocity.com

Re: Tornado Fuel Saver

From what I've heard its another modern day piece of snake oil

Total waste of money. Don't bother.

DKOV -

kitcarnut

let me tell you,it's like those -get bigger penis pills in two weeks. YO anybody use them yet, I want to be a movie star rather then painting cars for living.

To Ari: Could you define "modern day piece of snake oil" for me please?

To DKOV: Have you use this "Tornado" thing or is that just your thought?

Thank you both

Back in the day of door to door salesmen in rural America, it was a somewhat common (I have no idea how common) occurence for people to arrive at your door selling "Snake Oil", claiming that it would either help you sleep, lose weight, perform better in bed, etc...

So "Snake Oil" is a reference to something which is trying to play off the uninformed consumer.

F355challenge:

Personally no, but almost. I had a friend that was touting the virtues of the Tornado and almost had me sold. Instead, I waited until his arrived and then we installed it together and tested it. We didn't feel anything, so we plugged in my G-Tech and it didn't show anything. So we went to Tom's Performance (THE local race car builder and performance tuner) to get a dyno and the tech nearly killed himself laughing at us!

The way he explained it was the stock motor, virtually any motor across the boards, pulls in air that is equal to atmospheric pressure of roughly 12 - 14 lbs. In order for the Tornado to do ANYTHING for the motor, it would have to produce a MINIMUM of 15 lbs of pressure to add only a single pound of boost to the motor. Even if it does, a sinlge pound is nearly imperceivable.

More importantly, an object in the air flow that does NOT produce boost, creates DRAG. Most likely, we were LOOSING power by having this thing chopping up our air flow.

In the end, he told us to save our money and skip the dyno. He also told us to get our money back on the Tornado. "Get a K&N Filter at least, that way your money will actually DO something".

Needless to say, I didn't bother ordering mine.

DKOV -

I've heard this thing ripped on other boards. One day I watched part of the "show", just for the heck of it. They showed how the air swirled. That's what was supposed to increase power. As an example, they showed water in a bottle. They swirled one bottle and tipped it over. The bottle empties real nice. (Cool effect, try it). They also showed a bottle with "no swirl". The water just bubbled and poured out, all hectic like. I thought "Very interesting." One day I was washing dishes and thought I would try it out. I duplicated their results, but the interesting thing was that when compared head-to-head, the bottle that was swirled took longer for the water to pour out. Port velocity is important for power, so if it takes longer to get the air through, you'll be making less power. Not to mention the thing is a hinderance to air flow like DKOV mentioned. Why do you think people remove the screens from MAF sensors? All in all, the thing is a scam.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thank you all.
    I feel a bit wiser now.

a vortex is a very efficient means of moving a fluid, that's not in question.. but for use on a car, this thing is crap.. same deal as the Spiralmax.
    a guy I know tested one on his Fiero, in a dyno shop.. and yes, he lost hp and torque when this thing was on the car.. so they're a waste of money.

as for people who are convinced they can feel a difference.. I bet you could loosen and then re-tighten a couple of vacuum lines, or just change around the way they're routed through the engine bay, and say you've made a big improvement.. and then they'll test drive it and say "wow!! I bet that's at least 10hp.. I can really feel it pulling harder!"

back to my orginal point though.. if you need to move something in a straight line, and there is some form of resistance, be it air in the tube, or whatever.. then a vortex is the best way. that's why water forms a vortex while going down a drain, it's forming the most efficient structure(?) to allow some air to come back up, otherwise it will be bubbling etc, like what happens if you dump out a coke bottle by tipping it straight upside down.. not the smoothest flow, is it?
    try swirling it, and it becomes a lot smoother as the water forms a spiral

anyway, end of story... spiralmax & tornado don't work.
    sorry for such a long post.