Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a kitcar from Canada

Buying a kitcar from Canada

Hi everyone!

I am new to the replicar world but am very keen. I was wondering what issues arise if someone living in the States buys a completed car from Canada; are there import duties or regulations that affect bringing a car in? Can an individual handle it or does on need to go thru a dealer?
    I was very happy ro run across this site, I am very interested in 308/328/355 kits and hope you don't mind a few questions.

Ta!!

Re: Buying a kitcar from Canada

Hello: And welcome to the forum, I brought my kit to Canada from the US. First I hired a company to ship it, You can use a broker to handle all the cross border stuff for you. I decided to do all the broker stuff myself, When the kit arrived It went to a bonded warehouse in my City. I met them there and the kit was held until I Paid the taxes and fees on the total cost of the kit. I had to have documentation of all the payments/ Recepts, When I finished all that they released the truck with my kit. They looked at me like I had three heads when they seen the paperwork of what I had purchased ;D

It is easier to use a broker but I wanted to save the fees of hiring a broker. All this took me about 4 hours of my time, This system could work diferently in the US but it is somewhere to start.

Hope this helps
    Trevor,

Thanx for the quick reply, Ari!

Thanx Trevor! your reply came in while I was typing the previous thanx!

David

Hi everyone!

I am new to the replicar world but am very keen. I was wondering what issues arise if someone living in the States buys a completed car from Canada; are there import duties or regulations that affect bringing a car in? Can an individual handle it or does on need to go thru a dealer?
    I was very happy ro run across this site, I am very interested in 308/328/355 kits and hope you don't mind a few questions.

Ta!!
    Be careful with this. I know you CANNOT bring a completed kitcar into Canada from the US. I don't know about vice-versa. You can bring in a kit [body only] You can bring in a Fiero chassis. BUT, put the two together and you cannot import!
    Check with the US importation folks.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

I wonder if you took a canadian registered vehicle across to the U.S. and had the body installed, would it be easier to bring it back to canada? Kind of like having a Canadain Fiero customized with body panels but stucturally the same.

The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

kitcarnut

Jim sold his Lambo replica to US (27K US ) drove it to Buffalo NY and hand it over., The car is on Ebay for sale allready 4- 29K. I guess the man realized what a piece of

The following is incorrect:

" I know you CANNOT bring a completed kitcar into Canada from the US. I don't know about vice-versa. You can bring in a kit [body only] You can bring in a Fiero chassis. BUT, put the two together and you cannot import!
    Check with the US importation folks."

We have brought 7 cars to canada from the states over the last 3 years. As long as the title is valid for the donor (Fiero, etc.) there is no problem at all.

4 of them were driven over the border through Maine, the remainder were trucked.

Might want to re-check your information.
    Cheers,<br /><br />Ron Davies<br />http://www.Replicar.ca<br />ron@replicar.ca

Hi guys,

With regards to bringing a kit from Canada to the U.S. you should check with U.S. customs. I know NAERC ships Diablo kits down there often so it is possible, but I am a Canadian so I only am* familiar with the the reverse procedure which is importing from the U.S. to Canada. It could be a completely different procedure.
    Dale is right with his information on that . You can go directly to the Transport Canada website and there is a list of vehicles which can be imported into Canada from the U.S. It clearly states that any kit car newer than 15 years old can not be imported. I know because I looked into buying a Diablo kit a few years ago and it is not a simple procedure. I actually talked to the head guy in Ottawa from Road Safety who makes the call on issues like this. I think his name was Harry Bergen. He told me exactly what Dale said. I could bring in a body kit and parts but not with a chassis and I should get a shipping bill of all parts from the kit manufacturer sent to him for approval first. He would then issue a letter of some sort to be sent with the kit to the border crossing to allow it through. Without that letter there is a good chance they would reject it at the border. It all depends on the person working at Customs when you get there. Remember, the chances of all the customs personell being familiar with kit cars is slim.* If you do not have the proper paperwork you may be stuck. I think I recall this happening to somebody on one of the kit forums a while back and he ended up having to store it in a rental facility in the U.S. and try to sell it. Not fun.

Now if you are importing a driveable stock fiero or say a fiero with a ferrari kit in and it has a valid fiero title, yes ,you probably would not have a problem because the title says fiero. It is just another car to customs. But if it has replica or kit on the title anywhere be careful as the only 15 years and older rule could apply.

With all that being said I was told by the powers that be that the importing and registering of kitcars in general is a very grey area for Canada Customs, Transport Canada and Provincial Highway Safety Departments. Nobody seems certain of what is and is not a kit or replica. It is basically case by case I guess. People are definitely getting them in to Canada as there are U.S. lambo and cobra kits being built here. With what ease they are getiing them in I do not know. My advice for Canadians is to contact Transport Canada Vehicle Importation and try to find out if they will approve the* kit you desire and get it in writing.

Do not take it for granted that you will be able to just sail through customs hassle free.