Thread: Shipping Freight!!!???

Shipping Freight!!!???

Okay so I'm selling my 3.4 DOHC engine on Ebay. Usually most complete engines on Ebay are shipping between $300-$500. I just got off of the phone with UPS Freight shipping getting a quote. For a crate 3'X2'X2' weighing around 500 pounds from Sacramento to New York (figured I'd get coast to coast price) I was quoted $3,500. WTF! I can ship an entire car for $1000!

I figured the first person was obviously entering SOMETHING wrong so I called back. The second person said my first zip for NY wasn't a good zip. So I gave her a zip I found in Florida. She also had a change of class and sub-class for the type of package. I'm thinking, yup the first lady screwed it up and this quote will be cheaper.............NOPE! $2,111 was the second quote. WTF!!!!!

So how the heck does the Ebay sellers ship engines for $300-$500!???? Am I missing something, HECK I'd drive it back there myself and have a vacation for THAT price!

I can drive to florida (5 days/2,850 miles), buy gas ($600), rent hotel rooms ($800), and deliver it myself (with a vacation!) for $1,400.

Anyone have the scoop on inexspensive freight shipping?

Eric at Morad parts helped me out when I needed to ship my old 350 sbc. I was a customer. I bought an ls4 drivetrain from them so I don't know if he can help you or not. I was getting quotes from all of the shippers of about $1000. We ended up shipping it for two hundred something and that was with an isuzu on a pallet. Wouldn't hurt to give him a call. He's a really nice guy. I hope that he won't mind me referring him. He only charged me $25 for setting it up.

Well I went to FreightCenter.com and they gave me a lowest quote of $295. UPS freight was around $800 on that site, still wondering how the people on the phone quoted me $2100.