Thread: Guy gets called out for sporting a Phantom Replica.

Guy gets called out for sporting a Phantom Replica.

For some of us, it's just beauty. For others, it's an ego trip. It sounds to me like the man was upset about the other guy being deceptive and pretending. The fellow seamed perfectly OK with the fact that it was a replica, even fascinated. I think he was upset with the other guy being a wannabe. He should have just come out and said, "Yeah, it's a replica. Built it myself." Those words might have been the beginning of a long friendship (and perhaps enough side work to buy the real thing.

It takes money to buy the real thing but skill to build a replica. Especially after looking in to this world, it's apparent that replicas are just as, if not more scarce then the real thing. They're exotic cars in their own right. So just fess up and admit it. Around here at least, people will respect you more for having the skill and diligence to build a replica then the $ to buy the real thing.

Totally agree. Wouldn't want to bash the people that already have the $$ to get the real deal, but often times it seems as though luck plays a factor with their salaries

I watched that video. I wish that I had that time back.

This goes to my comments in the thread about what to call a replica. I would never try to mislead someone about the origins of the car. I would much rather say I built it, than I bought it. Even the cars that I've bought that were fast, sexy, fun, etc.....I've re-built them. Exactly why I like Fugazzi's cars, because they look like modded originals, and unless you're trying to fool someone, I would rather have a modded car than a "stock" car. The other thing worth noting, is that the exotics or high end cars that I've owned, I've been a little apprehensive to replace factory hoods, bumpers, wheels, etc. unless I know I can return it to stock, because I'm afraid to hurt the value, and I know that typically an aftermarket part never fits and performs as well as an OEM. With a replica, I can cut it up and make it just like I want. Maybe being able to cut up an exotic is just a different kind of rich that I'm not, or maybe I'm right to feel that it's near blasphemous. Either way, my policy has always been to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHAVED View Post
    This goes to my comments in the thread about what to call a replica. I would never try to mislead someone about the origins of the car. I would much rather say I built it, than I bought it. Even the cars that I've bought that were fast, sexy, fun, etc.....I've re-built them. Exactly why I like Fugazzi's cars, because they look like modded originals, and unless you're trying to fool someone, I would rather have a modded car than a "stock" car. The other thing worth noting, is that the exotics or high end cars that I've owned, I've been a little apprehensive to replace factory hoods, bumpers, wheels, etc. unless I know I can return it to stock, because I'm afraid to hurt the value, and I know that typically an aftermarket part never fits and performs as well as an OEM. With a replica, I can cut it up and make it just like I want. Maybe being able to cut up an exotic is just a different kind of rich that I'm not, or maybe I'm right to feel that it's near blasphemous. Either way, my policy has always been to be honest.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. My own Aventador build is going to be a hybrid of various custom Aventadors including the Triangle, Mansory, J and LB Performance. I also have my own emblem planned which is both humble and funny, but also clarifies that it's not authentic nor meant to present it's self as such.

Trying to project yourself as something you're not is asking for trouble. And as far as I am concerned, obsessing about your image is a clear sign that you are not to be trusted.

That said, I've known a few millionaires in my time, some of who had/have Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc. and they were all mellow and decent folks. Most of the good people I've known come from the moderately rich and moderately poor crowds. Moderately rich are usually secure and have nothing to prove, moderately poor are often working hard to make ends meet. All of the worst people I've known come from the middle class and destitute crowds. Middle class often have a chip on their shoulder, allot of destitute people are destitute for good reason. Of course, there's a little bit of everything in every crowd.

Personally, I myself identify more with the moderately poor crowd but get along very well with the moderately rich. In both cases, people will respect an artiest and dreamer, and despise; even shun a wannabe.
    Last edited by ronin; 07-24-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    people will respect an artiest and dreamer, and despise; even shun a wannabe.
    Summed up well. Even the ability to copy great art, is still an art. And like you said, replicas ARE exotics in their own right. A lie is a lie, but a wise man once said:
    “Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
    are awake through years with transferred touch, and go on glowing
    for long years.
    And for this reason, some old things are lovely
    warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.”
    D.H. Lawrence