Thread: Any Kit Builders Considered Doing Boats?

Any Kit Builders Considered Doing Boats?

I have always admired the Donzi. When I was a kid in Ft Lauderdale in the early 1980s I would admire the Donzi 18 foot Classic at Pier 66 almost as much as the 308s and Countachs in the Euro Showrooms as I biked along US1.

Italian designers certainly can create beauty in all things fast (both women and cars)!

The only Donzi replica I have ever seen was built up in Canada called the Legend. It came close to Donzi's original beauty and craftsmanship. They specialized in a 16 foot outboard. $9,500 16' Legend - Sweet 16 Donzi Replica for sale in Toronto, Ontario Classifieds - CanadianListed.com

The Donzi, like the Murcielago, is a thing of pure beauty.

Name:  donzi1.jpg
Views: 3652
Size:  44.6 KB

I would think that anyone injecting fiberglass car molds could also do a boat hull. After the hull is complete everything else is pretty much the same as a car.. upholstered and double stitched interior (some gauges are different), high-back bucket seats, V-8 high performance engine, emblems and badges etc...

If there was ever a boat worth replicating it would be the Donzi. Donzi boats are the equivalent to Ferrari as the elite fast boat for both collectors and weekend enthusiasts. Just as a real Ferrari is above most people's price tag, the real Donzi's $40,000 cost would open many possibilities for a lower priced kit in these recessionary times. I am sure they would be just as much sought after as a good Ferrari kit year round in states like Florida, Texas and Calif and would be popular for summer use all over the US.

PS- I am not speaking of cloning a boat that would be deep water ocean worthy any more than a kit builder would suggest you take his car to a circuit race course, but building a river, lake or bay speed boat would be very possible.
    Last edited by rudyallan; 07-07-2012 at 01:00 PM.

One of my all time favourite small speed boats is the Riva runabout (made of wood), it's a nice classic from the 30's (if I remember correctly). I know the company that made them is still in business, but I'm not sure if they still make the boat in the classic style or if it's just the newer version they make now. These days, I'm more into amphibious vehicles, so it would be cool if there were more of them available.

Chris

Could a amphibious kit be made?

Name:  IMG_6948rfqroadweb.jpg
Views: 2736
Size:  56.2 KB

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all Iíll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

Unit constructs. Darren muses on the advantages and disadvantages and offers some counsel to those. This is an entirely decent beginning stage - for what reason would you like to fabricate a pontoon? Every one of these creators and manufacturers, and an excessive number of others to make reference to, have propelled. Be that as it may, genuinely, these are motivations to think about it: it gives you a pontoon you basically can't purchase