Thread: Formula E - The electric vehicle Formula One

Formula E - The electric vehicle Formula One

Qualcomm's Halo wireless charging tech headed to Formula E, safety cars get first dibs

Ahead of the Frankfurt Motor Show this week, Qualcomm has come out to announce that it'll be bringing its Halo wireless charging technology to the first-ever Formula E electric vehicle race next year, which goes from September 2014 to June 2015 in London, Rome, Berlin, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Los Angeles and many more places.

The current-gen Halo requires electric vehicles to stay still on large charging pads, which isn't ideal for racing cars. That said, Qualcomm CMO Chandrasekher told us that his folks are already looking into bringing dynamic charging to racing cars starting in the second season. In other words, these battery-powered vehicles will eventually be able to recharge while still running on the race track!

Another interesting aspect of Formula E is that unlike the traditional Formula 1, the former's lower noise pollution allows its vehicles to run through the heart of cities. But not all fun is lost, as the cars will instead have a high-pitched jet engine sound, so old-school racing fans may still approve.

Apparently, the above picture shows what a fully aerodynamic (wind tunnel tuned and extremely efficient CD) Electric supercar looks like. Any more body added and you start to add a good amount of drag. Larger seating area and again you add a lot more drag. Wind screen added and you add a good bit more drag.
    Last edited by rudyallan; 09-09-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Three teams - Drayson Racing from the UK, the Andretti Autosport Indycar team from the United States and an outfit from China - have already signed up for the Formula E series, as have cities including Los Angeles, London, Berlin, Rome and Beijing.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/notes_...nt_revolution/

Spanish entrepreneur Alejandro Agag jumped at the chance to acquire the commercial rights to Formula E, the first world championship for electric cars, ahead of its launch next year. He is now assembling the venues, teams and partners for the series.

Formula E is his new baby. Agag has spent the past nine months negotiating with host cities and teams and creating the business model which will underpin the series. Equally critical has been the technical groundwork, not least the development of the first generation of Formula E cars.
    While the car itself is being built by French firm Spark Racing Technology, three active Formula One participants are contributing: Williams’ Advanced Engineering division is supplying the all-important battery power units, and McLaren Electronic Systems the electric engine, transmission and electronics, while Renault has committed to help to fine-tune engines and optimise electronics.
    Italian manufacturer Dallara has designed the first chassis, although the cars, a test version of which has been demonstrated by Brazilian driver Lucas di Grassi at major landmarks during host city announcements, will be known as Spark Renaults. The longer-term plan is for manufacturers to build and enter their own cars to showcase their own electric vehicle ranges.
    Last edited by rudyallan; 09-09-2013 at 10:39 AM.

I love EV Racing. Here we have EV Karts and boy do they fly.
    Women's ERK Japan

I would love to get in to Formula E

I hate normal F1 etc. because of the noise, but FE I can get into after watching ERK in Japan.

I gotta say, this Formula E thing is really exciting. I can't wait to see these things in action. Not since the Red Bull aerobatic plane races has there been something with such cool potential.
    On the otherhand, the Qualcom stuff seems really overrated. I like the no-plug-in technology for charging but doing it ON the race course, at actual speeds? No way. The weight of such systems doesn't make sense in a racing scenario and the fact that one expects to charge up a car in the few seconds while driving over the charging pads is moronic. It is totally unnecessary anyway and I understand that most EV fans consider it fluff.
    Still, even without this complication, the Formula E idea is SO neat!
    Last edited by aflo; 09-10-2013 at 03:12 PM.

With EV carts in the video they were swapping out batteries in the pit. As batteries become more and more efficient and smaller they may be able to swap batteries in Formula racing. As batteries get smaller, even with consumer driven EV autos you could have a second battery pack for your EV car at work charging and then swap it just before you leave to come home.

yea...an EV cart would be quite nice indeed

And yes those red bull aerobatic plane races were like my second favorite racing sport to watch ever. Though I haven't seen them lately. Best one I ever saw was Sydney harbor just in front of the opera house and then down the harbor and under the bridge weaving in and out of tower pilings. The camera work was aces in those races.

I love going to the ERK because unlike home (Western Australia) were if you said you are in to EVs girls would look at you like you were gay, Japanese women find guys in to EVs as something special and sexy.

There are a lot of DIY EV clubs in Japan and the guys building homemade EVs or conversion are really ugly looking geeks, that would have trouble fighting their way out of a brown paper bag with a set of scissors, but by god they have women hanging off them, that most men would kill or die for. It is like sumo here, guys weighing in at 200kgs(440lbs) with a hot wife weighing in at 42kgs(92lbs).

There is hope for me after all ... lol

Now this thing is FAST!