Thread: Browning with a Heat Gun

Browning with a Heat Gun

OK this is way off topic. Here in Japan they do not have normals ovens like in the west, back home I had a 80L wall oven, here in Japan I have a 30L table top Panasonic Oven/Microwave/Steamer it is great, but when it comes to large meals, it is useless as tits on a bull.

Trying to cook a 2.5kg whole chicken in the thing is impossible. So every Christmas I cook up 2 x 1.3kg birds taking twice as long.

This year I said stuff it as I want to try my first turkey, started looking for a large oven and unless I want a professional oven at over 500,000 there is nothing like in Australia.

Name:  1911915541_191.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  55.7 KB

Fine I ended up ordering from the U.S.A a Roaster Oven, they look good and I assumed as the display photo, the turkey would come out nice and brown, spent US$160 to have a 22qt Roaster Oven shipped to Japan. Got it last night, great happy as a pig in sh☆t, cannot wait to test it.

Name:  1911915541_247.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  48.6 KB

Read the instruction manual and find out the Photograph on the Box is bullsh☆t. The Roaster Ovens do not brown the turkeys or chickens, because the condensation from the cooking drops on the bird stopping it from browning. So even though the bird is cooked, and nice & juicy it is not browned, and to brown it they stay stick it in your normal oven for 45 minutes. If I knew this I would not have wasted US$160 on this bloody thing. I have already ordered my 10kg Turkey for Christmas, and I have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a 10kg turkey in to my Panasonic oven to brown it.

I have been fuming all night long and cannot sleep, trying to think how am I going to get a nice browned turkey for my Christmas, Find out the place I ordered it from can cook it, but they want 15,000 ... So that is a no no.

Then remembered, when I was doing photography in school back in the 1980's, we did a class on photography of food, and to have a nice photograph of roast chicken we used a blow torch to brown it. Have a oxy acetylene setup, could used that, but looks stupid in the house on Christmas day, then I remembered I had a Heat Gun. Well there is a idea.

Looked up on the net and Yep people use heat guns to cook.

Like to know but, anyone on the forum have one of these Oven Roasters and if so how does the bird turn out? If not browned how have you browned it?, Have read on the net you can use a browning sauce mixed with olive oil and butter, but cannot find browning sauce in Japan at the moment.

Ideas please.
    Last edited by Murasaki; 09-15-2013 at 05:28 PM.

You need a real stove https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey3tL_cez0w
    Im looking into rocket stoves myself... they run super hot but only use a handful of sticks.
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Yeah Great idea NOT .. Cannot do in side because we all end up dead from the fumes, and it is snowing around christmas so I do not want to be p☆ssing ice cubes while out side using a rocket roaster ... If I wanted to freeze my nuts off outside I would fire up the Weber.

chefs use torches frequently to brown food, pastries, ect. i would test that method.

Yeah might have to buy a torch, tested a 2.7kg bird in the oven today, cooking times are out, because the roaster oven is US power which is 120v, Japan is only 100v so need to cook longer to compensate for the different voltage.

Found browning sauce and decided to use 1/2 tsp mixed with melted butter and olive oil.

Bread stuffin' was sage, onion, bacon, celery, thyme, salt & pepper.
    Cooked at 400F for 15 minutes, basting after the 15 minutes, then down to 325F and basting every 15 minutes for 1 1/2 hours, looked good and the temp was right, let it rest for 1 hour and cut it up, fantastic, really juicy, but was a little pink in the bones, so ended up zapping it in the microwave for 5 minutes.

Browning sauce gave it a flavour which I was not too impressed with, so will try again next week with a torch. Lady friend polished off 1/2 the bird, still cannot get over how much Japanese women can put away.

Are they replicas? I can't tell.
    The most attractive Back Seam Pantyhose is its soft and delicate embroidery designs.