Thread: My car is messed! (not my kitcar ;) )

My car is messed! (not my kitcar ;) )

My car is messed... i have a 1996 lumina and we just put in a new engine (cuz the old one had 220,000 km on it and burnin oil) and now i was driving down the road and when i stoped at the stop sign and went it went but then when it was going it almost seemed like it jumped and went into nutreal (its an auto btw) and its making this weird noise so im thinkin its the tranny. so this stupid car is gonna cost me (well not me its my parents car i just joy ride in it cuz im a poor college kid) another freakin grand to 15 geeer this ticks me off. I looked on the net for a used tranny and found one for 500 but i donno how to put it in so i asked the guy at the recers said hed put it in, including tranny, for 1200 + tax! sometimes i almost wanna give up and buy a honda........naaawwww ;D
    Brad
    P.S. Any suggestions? like turning it into a big ol metal cube?

Re:My car is messed! (not my kitcar ;) )

Sounds like whoever put the motor in forgot to tighten the torque converter bolts and they backed off,or they diden't
    reset the throttle valve cable,check those first !! ;D ;D
    MIKE

hmmm thats sounds weird its never skiped it again it was just that one nigth but there still this crazy screching sound commin from the engine. It started doing this about a month after the new engine...any other recomendation?
    ThanX
    Brad

do you hear the sound when you start the car or step on the gas? after a stop?

hmmm more when i start the car then when i give er gas it gets a little louder im just afraid im gonna be going on the high way then "something" is gonna quit on me and get me stuck i havent gone to london in 8 days cuz of this and I NEED to go! lol
    Brad

might have water on your belts??.. that happen to me i ran over a huge puddle then the next day when i started the car i heard the squeeking thats what it was i just sprayed some wd-40 on the belts and never heard it again.. hopr that helps.

IF THE BELTS TOO STRETCHED AND THERE'S A LOAD ON THE ALT THE BELT WILL SCREECH,ALSO IF YOU'RE AIR COND COMPRESSOR IS BINDING UP.
    MIKE

hmmm but this happend when the nutreal gear thing happend ever since that its been doing it...hmmm
    Brad

OOOOOOOOOK i had an explorer that did that when i would stop hard not really hard but a little hard then step on the gas to drive it would go into nutreal then jerk back into gear also did this when i did not warm up the car later i found out it was the trans.. :-\