Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I know... but it's fun. Reviving a Power Wheels Jeep

I know... but it's fun. Reviving a Power Wheels Jeep

So, I have a huge desire to build my own replica... however, that isn't a dream coming to fruition any time soon.

Enter a beat up and abused Power Wheels Barbie Jeep.

Yes I said Barbie Jeep. lol

I have a 2, going on 3 year old daughter. My son, who is 5 going on 6 has an F150 power wheels truck and she loves riding in it with him. So The thought of getting a vehicle for her was already in the works.

So one day, In the rain, I am driving home and I spot a very worn out power wheels, two seater barbie jeep on the curb. Obviously set out for trash pick up. So I pulled over and looked it over.

The roll bar was snapped, the dash was about to fall off, the mesh net that used to hang from the roll bar was nothing but worn and dirty thread and the color was no longer pink from the many years in the elements and instead was something of a forest green. The shifter for the speed had been cleanly snapped off as well leaving no way to adjust the speed or put it into reverse.

The man that lived in the house came out to see what I was up to. I asked him if the jeep still worked, he said it did, but needed a battery and he no longer even possessed the charger for it.

He must have thought I lost a few screws when I asked if I could take it off his hands or he may have just been happy to be rid of it. Either way, off I went with a garbage je... er... barbie-ish Jeep half hanging out the trunk of my car. Surprised the cops didn't stop me.

Got it home, fortunately, be it that my son had his F150 thats also a two seater, it used the same battery as the Jeep, so I plopped his batter in the Jeep, still grungy and ugly looking, pressed the peddle and the wheels spun. So cool, it works.

From there I dismantled it, pressure washed it and began painting it up for my daughter. This all took place over the last 4 months and I am still working on it. Its been slow just because of time needed to get it done, but in the next few weeks I hope to have it put back together, painted and ready for my children to beat up all over again.

I'll post a few pictures of the progress thus far. My apologies if they aren't that great. I will take better ones as I wrap up paint, replace the broken dash and get this thing back to yard/ road worthy.

Hi Mike.
    Post pictures of it.
    Your son will be very happy .

This is what it essentially looked like before I began work on it... right after getting it home.

Name:  Jeep0.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  94.5 KB
    Last edited by G35Mike; 05-01-2015 at 03:20 PM.

I'll have to try posting more pics from home. Seems the forum is having trouble and wont let me post the rest of the pics right now...

Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    I'll have to try posting more pics from home. Seems the forum is having trouble and wont let me post the rest of the pics right now...
    And I happened to me too.

The following images are when I first began work on the Jeep. Finally got them to upload.
    The Jeep was pretty bad to look at and at that time, I planned to pressure wash it... but had no pressure washer.
    So I grabbed a bucket, hose and some soap and a bit of elbow grease to see if I could pretty it up a bit...
    This was the result.

Name:  Jeep 1.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  215.3 KB
    Name:  Jeep 2.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  392.9 KB
    Name:  Jeep 3.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  547.7 KB
    Name:  Jeep 4.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  277.6 KB
    Name:  Jeep 5.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  236.6 KB

So months later, I finally was able to acquire a pressure washer... The Difference.... see for yourself.

Name:  Jeep 6.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  478.5 KB
    Last edited by G35Mike; 05-01-2015 at 03:20 PM.

With it cleaned and not quite the Barbie Pink it once was, it was time to paint.

I was wanting to plastidip it so that repair painting, if needed, would be easier.

As fortune would have it, a car buddy of mine came by with several cans of Pink Plastidip they used on their car.

This was not regualr pink, this made Hot pink look timid, but with a little black here and there it could work.

Couple this with a couple of modifications I have in mind and BOOM, brand new Jeep. Go into more detail later. Gotta get to work.

Name:  Jeep 8.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  210.2 KB

Well done mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Beny A View Post
    Well done mate.
    Thanks Beny, I know it's nothing more than a toy, but it's been a fun little project and it's kept my desire to make a real replica at bay. Seeing as the money for this has been minimal at best. I think in all, I have spent $65.00 so far and that was just money in getting the pressure washer, which I needed for other things but came in useful for this project as well. So I guess you can say I have done all of this so far with no money.

Trashed Jeep free, Paint from friend free... my wife bought a used barbie mustang for my daughter which you can just see in the background of the last posted picture, it came with two batteries for $65.00 and a charger... so the extra battery goes to the Jeep... technically free... So, so far, it's been a very affordable project. lol