Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I know... but it's fun. Reviving a Power Wheels Jeep - Volume 2

Quote Originally Posted by satinta View Post
    Very lightly sand it out with about 600 grit wet dry and hit it with Blitz Black tractor paint from John Deere. I would guess about 10% thinned with their reducer or just buy the spray cans.

Good stuff
    Ok, that sounds like a plan. I was thinking about sanding it down and also putting on a sandble primer that I could smooth out before painting that may help everything stick a bit more. Top that off with some clear coat for protection and shine and see what it can withstand.

But it sounds like what you mentioned is worth looking into. Once again, I realize this is a toy and as such will be subject to a fair amount of punishment from the children this will be going to.

While I do not expect it to remain perfectly painted and designed forever, I would like for it to deal with a bit of use before looking abused, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the suggestion.

OK, so for those still following along, the project is a go for this weekend.

Plan of attack:

Sand
    Prime
    Paint - black
    Clear coat

Tentative plan,
    Spray bed liner in truck bed and on side steps.

If all goes well, the rebadging of the truck may follow. Truck wont be completed as the wheels need to be customized as well as the radio face, but all will be close to completion.

Will try to take a lot of pics and have updates ready over the weekend, at the latest... Monday.

As always... STAY TUNED!!!

question... should i clear coat the blitz black????

OK, so here is the paint I am going with.

For the Body:

Name:  Flat Black.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  15.4 KB

For the Truck Bed and Imitation side steps:

Name:  Bed Liner and accents.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  16.6 KB

For the imitation Chrome Bits and other odds and ends:

Name:  Chrome.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  14.4 KB

And finally, to add in some effect on the wheels and the racing strips I will put on the hood:

Name:  Racing Stripes.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  16.4 KB

So there you have my paint dream team.

Now if only the weather here in Florida would cooperate so I could get the body squared away....

Wish me luck.

Well this weather just isn't working for me this weekend...

More rain coming down in buckets and no sun in site. Same forcasted for tomorrow... Suppose this project will be delayed another week.

Sorry everyone...

This is turning out to be an unintended slow build.

When started, I actually expected to be done by now...

Oh well...

So the plan is to do the previously mentioned this weekend. Provided the weather holds up...

lots of 'how-to' on painting plastic bumper covers. would probably be similar. they recco an adhesion primer to keep paint on flexible plastic. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by funexec View Post
    lots of 'how-to' on painting plastic bumper covers. would probably be similar. they recco an adhesion primer to keep paint on flexible plastic. good luck!
    Never thought of that. lol

Good point. I haven't bought the paint yet so I will look into this before I do.

Thanks!

OK... so for those still hanging in there with me.

I assure you, this project is still very much alive.

The Florida state has been hammered with rain, day in and day out for over two weeks now and well... not a very good scenario for painting outside.... and there is no inside painting option available to me...

However, in the last two days, the rain storms frequency seems to be subsiding and even as I type this, the sun is out in full glory.

So if this can continue into the weekend, being that this is also a pay week for me, I can finally dismantle, tape off and sling some paint on the toy.

I plan on the paint going quickly as most of the vehicle will be one color with only accents being hit with other paint that wont be very time consuming or require any elaborate taping off.

So once this project gets underway, the longest detail will be the rims for the truck and that shouldn't take me long once I figure out what I am going to do with them scheme wise.

SO PLEASE DONT LOOSE INTEREST YET!!!! The project will commence and pics shall soon follow.

Thank you to those who have rendered suggestions and comments thus for and to all who show interest in this Project O'Mine.

I'm still here, can't wait to see it finished!
    Pedro