Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a Gripe

Just a Gripe

So walked out to my car, an 07 G35 coupe, today and noticed that someone had apparently backed into the front end of my car....

Left a pretty nice hole and long scuff marks vertically on the bumper.

Money being tight... fixing this is going to be difficult and do you think the person responsible would step forward... yeah... thought not as well...

So I started researching a replacement bumper for my ride.

Name:  Capture6.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  111.4 KB

They only come primed but I was thinking I could just sand them a little and then hit them with plasti dip for now to keep it protected until I can actually get the money together to paint it...

I would love the GTR style front end... but they are asking FAR too much money for the front end and the kit as well... better off making this into a Vaydor for the kind of money they are asking for.... but yeah... no money for that either unfortunately.

I'm not broke, just not loaded.

Anyhow. Take a look and let me know what you think of the "affordable" options...

Also... Any suggestions, low cost wise anyhow... totally up for it.

Thanks all.

I think my car is revolting... now my alarm is going off for some reason without any tampering... Looks like I will have my car paid off by the end of the year. So Looking to 2016 to really get her back to square one...

Still want to replace the front bumper before that time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Make a custom bumper. I use to make them all the time. When I had my solstice I absolutely hated the front end. I bought a wrecked Ferrari 430 bumper and a fiberglass prototype from a sema car and grafted them together. Find a front end you like, keep in mind that you will need cooling air for the radiator. Anything is possible.
    Last edited by madmods; 07-20-2015 at 07:07 PM.
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Quote Originally Posted by madmods View Post
    Make a custom bumper. I use to make them all the time. When I had my solstice I absolutely hated the front end. I bought a wrecked Ferrari 430 bumper and a fiberglass prototype from a sema car and grafted them together. Find a front end you like, keep in mind that you will need cooling air for the radiator. Anything is possible.
    Love the pic and the suggestion is certainly intriguing... Something to consider for sure. Cost wise it sounds better than purchasing anything ready made.

I guess my only concern would be getting the dimensions right is all.

Have you tried the pick-your-part places, or a junkyard? Those bumpers should be around $60.00 for one in good condition.

You might also want to call:

Certifit Auto Body Parts
    11441 N US HWY 301 Suite 101
    Thonotosassa,FL 33592
    (813) 986-0800
    http://www.certifit.com/default.aspx

Just because they don't show a part on their online catalog doesn't mean they don't have it, it's best to give them a call.
    Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by autopro View Post
    Have you tried the pick-your-part places, or a junkyard? Those bumpers should be around $60.00 for one in good condition.

You might also want to call:

Certifit Auto Body Parts
    11441 N US HWY 301 Suite 101
    Thonotosassa,FL 33592
    (813) 986-0800
    http://www.certifit.com/default.aspx

Just because they don't show a part on their online catalog doesn't mean they don't have it, it's best to give them a call.

You know, you would think that would have been one of my first thoughts but it wasn't and you certainly are right. I'll give them a call later today and see what they have. That would be great if I could get one in the same color. Silver was fairly common for Infiniti so that shouldn't be too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    Love the pic and the suggestion is certainly intriguing... Something to consider for sure. Cost wise it sounds better than purchasing anything ready made.

I guess my only concern would be getting the dimensions right is all.
    I called certified auto body parts and they didn't have a bumper... on their site, just the grill was running close to 100.00... so even if they had the bumper, I fear it may cost more than we thought...

But the more I think about it... the more I think the meshing together a frankenbumper sounds like fun and a could be a very creative way to create a one off look for the front of my car... Of which I have like least about my car myself.

Personally I wanted to swap the G37 front end onto my car... but a lot of people are stating it would be too difficult to be done... I like the rear of my car, I feel it would need a more aggressive diffuser and the sides would need something as well as for right now they look plain aside from the tear drop shape... there's just no definition. Yeah side skirts can fix that... but I dunno.

Still want the Vaydor... but that may be overboard at the moment. I still like the G as is, she just needs a face lift is all.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    I called certified auto body parts and they didn't have a bumper... on their site, just the grill was running close to 100.00... so even if they had the bumper, I fear it may cost more than we thought...

But the more I think about it... the more I think the meshing together a frankenbumper sounds like fun and a could be a very creative way to create a one off look for the front of my car... Of which I have like least about my car myself.

Personally I wanted to swap the G37 front end onto my car... but a lot of people are stating it would be too difficult to be done... I like the rear of my car, I feel it would need a more aggressive diffuser and the sides would need something as well as for right now they look plain aside from the tear drop shape... there's just no definition. Yeah side skirts can fix that... but I dunno.

Still want the Vaydor... but that may be overboard at the moment. I still like the G as is, she just needs a face lift is all.

Thoughts?
    If you make something custom use fiberglass.I have grafted fiberglass to oem plastic bumpers before but there can be adhesion problems and they seem to crack off easier if you hit a parking curve. As far as the vader, ask him if he would sell you just the front clip. Just fill the front half of the mold then you can graft it on. I haven't really look into what it takes for the vader for example frame cutting, radiator moving, etc When I was young I tried to graft a Ferrari f50front end on a celica gen 5. I gave up on the project though.
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Quote Originally Posted by madmods View Post
    If you make something custom use fiberglass.I have grafted fiberglass to oem plastic bumpers before but there can be adhesion problems and they seem to crack off easier if you hit a parking curve. As far as the vader, ask him if he would sell you just the front clip. Just fill the front half of the mold then you can graft it on. I haven't really look into what it takes for the vader for example frame cutting, radiator moving, etc When I was young I tried to graft a Ferrari f50front end on a celica gen 5. I gave up on the project though.

Hmmm, that's a thought. The rear of the car and all needs to be cut right down to the frame to get the Vaydor body on, but that may not be necessary for just the front... but then begs the question... would it look right?? I'll go post the question on the thread now and see what comes of it.

Sent a PM to Matt asking if a front end only conversion of the Vaydor would work somehow...

The more I think about it... the more I think the answer is no...

The reason I think this is obviously the body lines. They wont line up without a lot of work.... at least thats what I am thinking.

The windshield is moved for the Vaydor and I would not be able to move it keeping the middle to back of the G intact.

For the bumper cover to work, I presume that I would then need to replace the front fenders and hood. The hood is set to match to the new placement of the windshield and not the original one for the G...

The more I am thinking about this, the less I think it is possible without heavy modifications...

So perhaps having a Vaydor front bumper cover as a replacement for the G's may not be possible....

I would assume Matt would sell me just the front clip, but with everything else needing to be adjusted to fit it... I am not sure about it.

Would look pretty cool I think, Can anyone here CG the front end of the vaydor onto a G to get an idea of what it may look like?