Thread: I would Like to have a discussion

I would Like to have a discussion

I have been reading over a number of articles concerning self driving cars aka "Auto-pilot" features from Google to Tesla and even Good Ol' Nissan.

I feel there are so many pros and cons when it comes to technology. In my opinion, the cons begin to outweigh the pros when we begin to allow tech to take over analog functions of our daily lives.

One can say that this has been proven for decades now with the advancement of technology and is even more apparent in today's society.

I recently watched a rather... well... for lack of a better term,, glorified future video showcasing Nissan's semi-autonomous car and Neo-future representation. So that you can see what I am referring to, the link is below.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2494019,00.asp

While I want to believe that this advancement is a benefit to us all... I can't help but fear the cons that are growing ever more present today.

Consider if you will... mind you this is going to the extreme dark side of this conversation so please accept my apologies in advance... as I was saying,

Consider if you will, your in a car much like Googles or the Nissan one showcased in the link I included in this post. You have told the vehicle that you need to goto work, school, etc. In route, you notice that the car isn't heading in the right direction, although the instrument panel seems to indicate you are....

You attempt to take control or adjust the route... nothing responds.

You attempt to stop the vehicle, but there again... is no response....

The speed of the vehicle begins to increase for no reason....

Your not on an interstate... the posted speed limit is only 45 and your climbing well above that. It's becoming apparent that your car is either out of control or under the control of an outside source...

You try to signal to other cars as you fly past... but there is nothing they can do. You call out on your cell for help... but even the emergency respondents are powerless to bring the car under control...

Speed is well above the posted speed limit, the car is wildly avoiding traffic until....

Well... you see where I am going.

Yes I know, Hollywood type stuff right? I would disagree and one only needs to read some of today's hacking issues into all manner of technology from baby monitors to Jeep and see that this could be an all to real scenario despite the best efforts of those designing the tech.

People could be kidnapped, killed or used in terror attacks... God Forbid all of this of course.

I dare not wish anything negative on anyone. I am a God fearing and loving christian and despite my sinful nature, I am not one to simply wish others harm.

This tech, for all the Pro's that can be easily stated and have been many times over so I don't bother mentioning them here, seems to be a serious issue and either I am not seeing the outcry of people concerned with this or it's being swept under the rug for the sake of progress...

Please understand, that I am not simply trying to wage war against this advancement, that is certainly not the intent here. But I wanted to voice my concerns and see if others agreed or disagreed and why?

Am I over analyzing this, or am I on the money? Would you buy one of these cars when they reach the market or would you, pardon the pun, steer clear?

Thank you for reading and I look forward to the discussion. God Bless you all.
    Last edited by G35Mike; 12-01-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Really? No one has an opinion on this?

Perhaps I am over analyzing this tech after all....

Well if anything... it will make for some fun plots in movies... Lets just hope that's as far as it goes.

I'm kind of on the fence about implementing new technology into the driving experience. On the one hand, it could reduce accidents and improve traffic flow, etc. However, experience seems to dictate that this stuff will be worked into the mainstream while it's still pretty buggy. That's what makes me nervous. Plus, you'd hear stories even years ago about someone putting the car on cruise control and thinking that meant auto pilot. I can only imagine the stupidity and danger that could come out of self-driving cars.

What makes me laugh is that we make mistakes... to error is human after all... right?

And human's made computers....

So if we follow the logic....

How is it we can depend on a system designed by a flawed human??

Would that not mean that the very product in which we are entrusting our lives is also flawed?

Perhaps not flawed to the degree one might think... After all... do not parents teach their children based on their experiences, faults and mistakes??

There in lies another concern though... how do we know what the programmers "taught" the machine is complete? Of course they are basing it on loads of data collected over the years... but change is nothing if not constant and in a world where change is by the millisecond... Would that not mean that all the data that the cars driving capabilities are being based on are inherently out of date? Perhaps obsolete?

After all... how many devices come out perfect these days? I would venture a guess to say none... Which fostered the behavior of waiting for the next, more advanced iteration...

The concern here is... this tech could mean lives lost in order to get to the next model... or to correct a fatal flaw the designers did not, and perhaps could not, account for.

Don't get me wrong... I too am on the fence. I half want to see this tech succeed... but worried at what cost that success may come.