Thread: I know this isnt an RC forum, but I wanted to share.

I know this isnt an RC forum, but I wanted to share.

I have had this Silvia S15 Tyco Drift King since 2006.

Love the toy, drifts well, speed is impressive.

While not a hobby car, its proven to be durable and refused to die.

So, I thought, why not clean it up and keep on running it.

Here are the before and after pics. The painting was done back in April of 2009. I decided to clean it up and run it again.

The car had been farily beat up from when I got it in 2006 and needed a face lift.

So, just for the heck of it... here she is.

And here she is as she sits today.

So.... What do you think?

I got one of these big E-Revos with the Dual LiPo batteries and brushless motor......85mph, and the thing will take serious abuse, massive jumps. I've got it about 15ft off the ground for a distance of about 30 ft with a clean landing, check out youtube to see over 100 ft dune jumps, these things are insane.....

I'm just getting good enough with it now where I can clear my 30 ft garden jump while doing a double back flip and landing cleanly.....its amazing how it responds. When the front end comes up like its going to flip backwards, you nudge the throttle forward (hitting reverse essentially) mid air and the the nose will drop down as responsively as a dirt bike. It is so much fun. I hated my RC stuff as a kid because I was always breaking everything after only ten minutes of fun.... these things are durable as hell out of the box, but I spent a couple bucks on upgrades here and there (probably about $150 total) that have made it essentially bulletproof. I would not hesitate to roll it off the roof, they are extremely tough and the axles can take the abuse of 85mph to full brake to full reverse without stress, you can hit it in reverse at top speed and just jamb the throttle forward to make it do a wheelstand, all without snapping the axles.
    The dual LiPo batteries get a good 30 minute run per charge, and non of the hassle or maintenance of gas motors.
    Last edited by TNH; 03-23-2016 at 06:29 AM.

I've also got three of the 1/16th MiniRevo's for when company or my niece and nephew come over. They are a blast too, and much cheaper than the big Revo, 65mph on LiPo batteries! I think they are only about $120 new from Traxxas, very durable and fun out of the box.
    I've also go an older custom built RC made from all aluminum aftermarket parts....I bought this one back when I was trying to build an indestructible RC truck. Turns out the aluminum just bends instead of breaks, lol. But its now mainly a museum piece, these composite plastic based Revos are durable as hell and flex but won't break.
    miniREvo by dasscheissen, on Flickr
    Last edited by TNH; 03-23-2016 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNH View Post
    I've also got three of the 1/16th MiniRevo's for when company or my niece and nephew come over. They are a blast too, and much cheaper than the big Revo, 65mph on LiPo batteries! I think they are only about $120 new from Traxxas, very durable and fun out of the box.
    I've also go an older custom built RC made from all aluminum aftermarket parts....I bought this one back when I was trying to build an indestructible RC truck. Turns out the aluminum just bends instead of breaks, lol. But its now mainly a museum piece, these composite plastic based Revos are durable as hell and flex but won't break.
    miniREvo by dasscheissen, on Flickr
    Damn, color me envious. I have too many damn interests and hobbies. Would love to get one of these but alas... I just cant afford to do so.

Nice ones though, I too have heard a lot of good things about their durability and performance so I know exactly what you mean.

I have a buddy who races some of his own and I only recently acquired a Team Associate RC10 something or other buggy.

It's old and needs a steering servo but it has pretty solid reviews and can be rebuilt if needed.

may need to replace the old radio / transmitter and the receiver to something newer. but... gotta wait on that for now.

Here it is as it stands now... but uh... the checkers... have to go. So after its up and running, the next upgrade will CERTAINLY be the paint...

I can't recommend them enough when it comes to durability, I am just astounded at what they will survive completely intact. My friend and I each bought pretty much a tacklebox-sized container of commonly damaged RC parts when we each got our big Revos thinking we were going to go through almost the whole thing in a few months......I still have the full box, I may have taken 2-3 small parts out of it here and there over the years, things like A-arms and steering knuckles. Traxxas and a few other companies make suspension and steering components for them that they claim are even more durable, which I have some of just because they look cool and I thought I would need them before I really knew just how strong OEM was. I'm just really happy with Traxxas and their products, it makes the whole hobby that much more enjoyable when everything works and can be enjoyed without a bunch of hassle. They even sell kits to add batteries to these cars for increased run time (and I think in some cases on the big Revo, more power) and the batteries last as long as they claim they will last..... so standard gives you an honest 30 min (instead of the 10-15 I always ended up getting on older/junkier brands) and the kit on the big Revo can be an hour of run time. My friend and I each bought a few sets of batteries and multiple chargers, and with each having an extra car or two, a box of spare parts just in case, and even a couple spare controllers, we can keep these things running all day long without a hiccup.

I hear you on the too many hobbies and interests, I feel the same way and my wife thinks I am nuts. That is anther reason I rave about these things so much though, it is such a great hobby that is so affordable and entertaining, everyone that tries it seems to genuinely enjoy it. Relatives, kids, significant others, etc....its something everyone can do and have a good time with. This is the most fun you can have without being in danger of breaking your bones and killing yourself like most of my other hobbies, lol.

If you really do want to get one of these though and would rather not spend the $700-800 for a complete package brand new, I recommend searching the internet for a used one. I bought my big Revo from a traxxas forum and paid $600 for it (the car was almost brand new too) but it had hundreds of dollars in spare parts, some very expensive and high quality aftermarket parts installed on it, and a very nice aftermarket radio..... A much better price can be had with used stock ones, which I saw for sale for $250-300.

The minis are ridiculously cheap though, I got one of mine used with batteries and charger for $100! The amount of run time I have gotten out of that thing for only $100 makes it one of my best purchases of all time I would say. While the big Revo is very awesome, the mini is nearly just as much fun and is definitely more bang for the buck.

I love Associated stuff, the RC10 is such a classic.....I used to dream of being able to afford one when I was in elementary school. I would love to see it, unfortunately the picture you posted isn't showing for me. Those buggies were way ahead of their time, very cool.
    Last edited by TNH; 04-14-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Odd about the pic. It shows up on all my mobile devices and two different PC's... I have used both Chrome and the new Microsoft Edge browser... no issues...

I can try to upload again later and see if that resolves that for you...

Not sure when I will dig into this car and get her up and running yet. I have two many irons in the fire. Have some concerns that need my attention involving my real cars so those come first... but... sooner or later I will get this thing rolling.

I read a lot of reviews on it... most pretty old ones of course... but all seemed very positive both on performance and durability.

I think, if anything, its a good starter car for me to sink my teeth into and get acquainted with.

Other RC's that need my attention is a small Apache Helicopter... cheap one... the antenna broke off the radio after an unfortunate fall off of a high shelf and one of the blades are broke so that needs to be replaced...

I also have a larger hobby grade helicopter that is electric that I acquired from a buddy who crashed it... it works and all, But I think the tail rotor motor and the blades need to be replaced before it can fly again. it lifts off and can hover, but cant move forward... only reverse... so that's why I am thinking the tail rotor motor is not functioning properly. Easy fix... but something I have not yet had the time or money to get into either... The canopy needs a little work as well as it took a hit when it crashed... think I will just get a new canopy and perhaps custom paint it as well...

Too many toys... not enough time... lol

As for the cars you mentioned regarding durability and cost... perhaps once I get through all of the current toys I will see what I can find there. Thank you for the intel though. It's much appreciated.

Just in case this didn't resolve itself, here is the image again. Hopefully it will load properly this time.

Last edited by G35Mike; 04-27-2016 at 09:33 PM.