Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know... but it's fun. Reviving Power Wheels - Volume 3

I know... but it's fun. Reviving Power Wheels - Volume 3

Here I go again!! The two Power Wheels vehicles my children have that while in pretty good condition, need a little TLC.

Here is a link to the photobucket image of the vehicles in question.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7un7nudl.png

The Truck is in great condition. It's been garage kept practically ALL it's life. Just needs a new battery... the stang, has a few scratches here and there, and one of the imitation exhaust pipes out the back end was broke off at some point and damaged the bumper slightly and also needs a new battery.

Other than that, both vehicles require very little, if any sprucing up.

So here is the plan of attack.

Get new batteries for both with a slightly higher bump in amp output to provide just a tad more running time.

From there, I am going to purchase LED's to add to the headlights of both vehicles.

The Truck has transparent tail light housings, so the truck will get tail lights... i am still working out how to make them functional. What I want to achieve, is to have the lights dim when my son hits the pedal and drives, but goes bright when he lets off or stops.

Considering if I want a daylight option where the light goes completely OFF when he is driving and lights up only when he stops.

Of course, I want a "kill all function of the lights" switch should it prove to be too much of a drain on the batteries, but using LED's I don't foresee a problem there.

The Stang, has only sticker tail lights... So, I either need to find imitation lights similar to the truck, which is probably non-existent or figure out a way to make my own and then cut the plastic in the stang where the lights should go and insert the new transparent housings... to which, if I am able to get that far, I will wire in a lighting system similar to the trucks.

Other than that, I am going to reshape the rear bumper of the stang a little where the imitation tail pipes come out and then make my own custom looking dual exhaust with dual tips. Nothing special but given that the OEM pipe was broke off and it broke out a chunk of the bumper with it. I need to either replace the whole piece or get creative with reshaping the hole to look rounded and then cut out the other side to match and then do the custom tail pipe look...

I am a creative guy, so I think that I am heading the creative route.

Stay tuned. I am working on batteries now and the work will begin in a few months. Good thing is that this is all pretty cheap stuff because I have a real car that needs real work as well. lol
    Last edited by G35Mike; 08-22-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Sound like good projects, but yes your picture doesn't show.
    Pedro

Thanks Pedro. These little projects with these toys certainly help to pass the time.... one day a real project of mine will be posted here.. but till then... I keep my hands busy with projects like this.

You know what they say about idle hands and all. lol

Thanks for the heads up on the pic. I updated my original post with the link.
    Last edited by G35Mike; 08-22-2016 at 01:50 PM.

For those of you tuning in to my Shenanigans concerning power wheels vehicle's for the first time, allow me to help bring you up to speed.

Check out the other two projects I worked on.

I know... but it's fun. Reviving a Power Wheels Jeep
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/of...eels-jeep.html

I found an old beat up and set out for trash Barbie Jeep and thought I could fix it up for my daughter. The above link is the process of that refurbish venture and the end result. (My daughter goes by jeep dealerships now and says they dont look right because they are not pink and hers is prettier... cracks me up.)

I know... but it's fun. Reviving a Power Wheels Jeep - Volume 2
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/of...olume-2-a.html

Now technically this one was my second venture into refurbishing a power wheels vehicle, and I was so excited to share that I immediately started a new forum thread for it and completely forgot to correct the title before I hit enter. The vehicle was a Harley Davidson Edition F-150 that I was given by a father who's kid attended the same swim school as my kids. He said his son never used it anymore and he just wanted it out of his garage. My son had a truck so I redid this one for a friends kids. Check out my own custom Raptor Edition.

----------------------------------------------

Now my current project on the books wont be painting and refurbishing but more in the electrical and some minor cosmetic upgrade category. None-the-less, it should be interesting to see the end results.

Thanks for following along. Updates to come soon.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

So, was advised per another "self made expert on power wheels customization's", that Ebay has batteries that work for the cars that are FAR cheaper than the power wheels OEM ones.

For those who don't know, a OEM battery for these vehicles can range from 40 to 60 dollars a pop!!!

The chargers are an always on component that do not turn off when the battery is fully charged. Instead, you need to be aware when the battery has been on the charger for 8 hours and then take it off... less if the battery was not fully depleted...

Couple that issue with the inability to purchase replacement parts direct from the manufacturer and well... this makes less and less sense to purchase for a child if you are not even mildly good with your hands and have at least a basic understanding of wiring....

Both points I am good on, no expert, but I can do enough to make things happen.

So anyway, Ebay has batteries that will work with a power wheels vehicles. Require a little work to make it all connect but honestly... its very simple.

if you have OEM batteries, the top component can be taken off, the part where the power wheels plug inserts into.

From what I am told, the top component then has wires that have spade connectors that connect to the plug terminal of the battery posts underneath for the positive and negative terminals.

By disconnecting this top piece, you can connect to another like battery that uses the spade connectors... or you can cut off the plug on the vehicle and us alligator clamps to connect to a standard battery.

If you plan reusing the OEM battery top, you will need a battery with spade connectors or you'll need to alter the connects to work with the battery to connect to a battery using standard posts. However, I don't know if the top section of an OEM battery will sit on a standard battery that has posts since it was not designed for that type of battery originally. If you are able to do so, you will need to attach the top component to the replacement battery by using hot glue or electrical tape and your in business and you can use the original charger.

My plan is to ditch the OEM charger, alter the connectors to work on whichever terminals be it the posts or the spade connections and purchase a trickle charger to recharge and maintain the batteries. The good thing is that the charger will work for their toy cars as well as my riding mower... so it makes the need and use of a trickle charger all the better.

When I get the batteries and begin the alteration, I will take plenty of pictures to document the process.

One more thing... The truck has a working radio made by power wheels that requires 4 D size batteries to work... replacing the batteries gets pricey so I am going to see if I can tie in the radio to the power from the vehicle battery. Now I know I will need to put in a fuse to keep from zapping the radio... just need to figure out how low a inline fuse I need and then the radio should work without the need of replacing 4 D sized batteries every time...

The mustang unfortunately has a toy radio that also uses batteries but only plays two preset sounds to imitate a working radio... so I will just leave that as is. No use tying that in to hear two useless made up songs....
    Last edited by G35Mike; 08-25-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Work has... sort of... begun.

Had 3 batteries... all are shot, but all have one component I need... the plug that connects the power wheels car to the battery.

This is how you get that part out. Simple really

Items you will need:

1.) Flat head screw driver
    2.) Hammer
    3.) Wire cutters

Tap the flat head up under the cover that sits on the very top of the battery over the plug.
    (be careful not to pry above the plug itself, if you damage it, it's no good.)

The top cover will begin to pop off as you work your way around the top.
    (Don'y worry, nothing dangerous is directly under this cover. Just watch the plug.)

Once the cover is off, it will be pretty self explanatory as to what to do next. But just in case...

Pull the plug up out of the slot where it is placed.
    (In the pictures, you will see my flat head up under the plug, you can do this, but it wasn't necessary.
    The plug itself is only sitting in the slot, the only glue to worry about is on the wires.)

One you have enough slack on the wires, use your wire cutters to snip the wires and cut the plug free.

You now have the plug for the power wheels car that you can retrofit to a new battery.

Easy right?

Here are the pics.

http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/an...eels%20Battery

You gotta find a countach

LOL... find one that only costs a few hundred and Im in. lol

But I TOTALLY agree. Perhaps in 2 to 3 years after I am out of a rental and into a new house with an actual garage space to accommodate such a project.

Lol, I meant a powerwheels countach ....you talking about a full size kit?

LOL, you know... I was, but yeah, one day, a full size kit.

As for the lambo power wheels... sorta not a fan of it. Something about the kids poking out the top of the roof-line that doesn't seem or look right to me. The mustang works because of the drop top idea and the truck sorta works... the Jeep totally works, but the sports cars seem to miss the point. Same for the Escalade's (Especially with the big fake sub-woofers in the rear... Geez they look ridiculous)

Now mind you this is all my opinion.

There is a replica of a Bugatti Veyron that was miniaturized for kids on youtube and was done exactly right. Now if they made the lambos and vets to that same scale, that would be awesome... however... priced WAY to high for normal parents to afford and the Bugatti was a one off that someone made...

Perhaps a miniaturized replica of a lambo is what I should do. Something my kids could fit in. lol

That too would have to wait for a decent garage... but hey... It's a thought.