Thread: Ford Expedition in 4x4 mode binds in turn???

Ford Expedition in 4x4 mode binds in turn???

I put my truck in 4 wheel drive last night, to check it out before winter. This is the first 4x4 I have ever owned, so maybe this is just how it works.

But in 4x4 mode, when making turns, not small gradual ones, but sharper slow ones, like parking in a parking lot, turning into a drive, etc. I NOTICED THAT I'M PUTTING A BIND ON SOMETHING. Something in the tires putting stress on the engine, or something wierd, stress and binding somewhere. Is that normal, in 2 wheel drive it went away.

It's the feeling of turning, giving the truck gas, but something is holding you back, it only does this during turning. I know that CV joints are designed to allow turns, the outter wheel spins faster than the inner one.

Re:Ford Expedition in 4x4 mode binds in turn???

Someone else will have a better explanation for this but here goes. I would imagine that you were testing this on DRY pavement? I believe your manual may warn about this. The tires are locked in four wheel and are trying to turn with power instead of turning at the different rates that the turn would cause. What you are feeling is the "scrub" of the tires trying to turn over faster or slower than the turn dictates. The engine "drag" is this power trying to turn over those tires. Try it again on wet pavement or in the mud and you may not even notice it. Hope this helped? ???

I have a 4x4...it is a great way to test if your 4x4 is working well...on dry pavement and tight turns the truck should almost skip or hop...like Larrybud said I would NOT drive in 4x4 unless you need it...big strain on the joints in dry weather...and remember just because you have 4x4 that doesn't mean you can stop faster in the snow(if you get snow where you live)...many people think that is the case but it's not...enjoy
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

yea, since all cars have 4 wheel disk brakes anyway. we all
    have 4 wheel stopping power so FWD, RWD, AWD (or 4WD)
    all stop the same.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if that was the proper operation.

I wouldn't be one of those that would think I would get better "stopping" power in the snow with a 4x4, but I would imagine I will get better "tracking" power. That's one of the reasons I wanted the 4x4, was for our Illinios winter months.

After driving a Fiero for 7 years and sledding to work like santa lands on a house, I'll be glad to switch to 4x4 and not have my rear end whip around me!!!

prepare for your gas bill to double... 4wheel loves that petrol

I drove a Fiero in Nebraska for four years year round! 70 pounds of sand on top of the spare tire in the front made a world of difference in the winter. I know what you mean about the "sled" effect! 8)

kitcarnut

most people ignore to read the owners manual. the one in the glove box.

WHAT'S THAT??? ;D ;D
    MIKE