Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patent Info??

Patent Info??

I've been working on a few parts over the years and would like to know if anyone has ever gotten a patent before.
    A few years back I contacted a company that issued patents and did the patent searches, Their fee's were very expensive.
    $7,500 - $10,000 anyone had any luck.. company's.. pricing.. ect
    Thanks

David

EEExotic
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Re: Patent Info??

David,
    I currently have 6 patents in the works, they are in the application / search process. I cant help you with the cost because my company is paying for it. I do know that it is expensive to do the search, the application portion is relativly cheap. Sorry I could be more help

editied for spelling

I appreciate the info Glenn Its very expensive, It will def be worth it in the end, but its hard to spend a chunk like that.
    Thanks

David

It's expensive to search the patent office due to the huge quantity of patents and the picky nature of the topic. It can be worth everything you own or nothing depending on what the patent is for ;D
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

My brother, who is in management consulting, gave me a good answer when I asked him about patents.

"A patent is only worth something if you can afford to defend it."

Owning a patent doesn't mean people won't copy your design without paying you. It really comes down to whether your capability to sue is greater than their capability to defend.

That being said, patents are still very useful as they can intimidate smaller companies from copying your designs. Its only the larger ones with large war chests that you need to worry about.

mikeo

I bought a program that helps with the process called "PatentPro". It breaks down the legal mumbo jumbo and helps you outline and define the paperwork filing process. There is actually another kind (since'95) of patant called a Provisional patent. This allows you to lock up the basic idea for up to one year in a "patent pending" status while you do your research to find out if there is a market, if it's unique, etc. A standard patent costs $375 to file, a provisional patent is only $80. You can file a provisional, then you have up to one year to go to an attourney and do it the real way. Or at the end of 1 year, it simply expires and becomes null and void. I have a few patents in the works for my Diablo tube chassis and the provisional is a great way they have alowed the little guy to sidestep the huge expense of an attorney, at least until you find out if it's worthwhile doing..The program also has all kinds of links to help do a preliminary search to se if your idea has been patanted before. Go for it!!

Thanks Mikeo! Do you have info on where to buy this program? I'm def ready to go for it, and have had prototypes ready.
    Just got discouraged when I heard the up front fee's. Any contact info would be great!

Thanks... David

mikeo, I'm needing that info too! I tailked to an attourney last year. My bank account isn't deep enough. He told me that it would start at $5,000.00 and could end up being as much as $15,000.00

mikeo

Here's the link guys..
    http://www.patentpro.us/index.php?menu=1
    Here's my feelings on it. More than once I've seen something and said"man that was my idea!" but I never acted on it..stupid me, and smart other part right? If you think it's a new idea that warrants it, spend the $299 for the progrqam, and the $80 to lock it up under a provisional for a year. Feel it out, line up some investors, and do some marketing. If it flops or is already out there, oh well. I'm sure we've spent more money on worse. And then you already own the software for the next time. But if not and you pursue a real patent filing..you're already under way. Then within a year, go to a real attourney (with the paperwork you've developed in the program, and do it the rest of the way(big bucks) But at least you'll have a better feeling and some feedback from others without having to worry about somebody stealing your idea and snaking it from you. Look at some of the lame inventions out there that have made people millions, any one of us could have come up with rainblo pens or twisty hair things or a jar opener, but THEY thought enough of it to follow through.

You're def right Mikeo! I really apreciate the info and advice, I'm going to order the software monday. I've waited so long
    to get things rollin' and now it needs to get out to the public. Thanks again!

David

EEExotic